Anode attachment through the hull?

Adam Roberto

Visit site
I have just bought my first yacht a Rival 32. I need to replace the 8" anode, but the fixings I can see from the outside are rusty. 2 questions first is, do the fixing go all the way through the hull, this would make it easy to replace the fixings assuming I can get to them. If that is the case would I be better off using stainless? If they do go through and I replace them what should I use to seal the joint where the bolts (or studs) go through?

Lifeboater

Visit site
Underwater the anode protects mild steel bolts in addition to whatever it is intended to protect. Most corrosion on mild steel anode fixing bolts occurs in winter when the boat is ashore.
Very correct and once the OP and as long as the anode is not eaten away and the bolts inside are not corroded, I would recommend leaving it alone until next haul out. If you need to use a real good marine adhesive don't forget practical sailor recommended Evostick's Sticks Like Sh1t for general purpose applications, BUT, for any metals, the best one that is in most chandleries is the more expensive, SABATACK 750 XL. I always use one or the other. Which adhesive sealant is best? - Practical Boat Owner The actual winner of the non metals adhesives, the Aquaseal product is not available in Blighty, which is why I mentioned the next best. Finally getting back on track, don't forget McDuffs do make dangling anodes. Which adhesive sealant is best? - Practical Boat Owner

Lifeboater

Visit site
Very correct and once the OP and as long as the anode is not eaten away and the bolts inside are not corroded, I would recommend leaving it alone until next haul out. If you need to use a real good marine adhesive don't forget practical sailor recommended Evostick's Sticks Like Sh1t for general purpose applications, BUT, for any metals, the best one that is in most chandleries is the more expensive, SABATACK 750 XL. I always use one or the other. Which adhesive sealant is best? - Practical Boat Owner The actual winner of the non metals adhesives, the Aquaseal product is not available in Blighty, which is why I mentioned the next best. Finally getting back on track, don't forget McDuffs do make dangling anodes. Which adhesive sealant is best? - Practical Boat Owner
Can't figure out how to edit my posts, Practical sailor did 2 good articles on marine sealants and general purpose adhesives for above waterline use I presume in the latter case, like PVA. Practical Boat Owner did the real McCoy marine adhesives test. I would also note that Sickyflex is not good for the skin, so although it might be popular and you should use gloves with any adhesive or sealant, both Sabatack and Sticks Like Sh1t are easy to wipe off with a damp cloth.

VicS

Visit site
I have just bought my first yacht a Rival 32. I need to replace the 8" anode, but the fixings I can see from the outside are rusty. 2 questions first is, do the fixing go all the way through the hull, this would make it easy to replace the fixings assuming I can get to them. If that is the case would I be better off using stainless? If they do go through and I replace them what should I use to seal the joint where the bolts (or studs) go through?
Yes they go all the way through. The wiring that bonds the anode to the item it is fitted to protect connects to one of the studs inside the hull.
Use the special suds which have a square or circular plate welded to them. They can be either zinc plated or stainless steel. .... your choice.

You might find this video useful

Last edited: