Always wear a killcord

Fire99

Visit site
I wondered for a second whether once he was back in he would carry on as if nothing happened but he came back in. Probably for a stiff drink!

Bouba

Visit site
WOW !.... I doubt I am athletic enough these days to get back aboard and if you didn’t have a life jacket (which he does) that boat would circle you until you drown

simonfraser

Visit site
WOW !.... I doubt I am athletic enough these days to get back aboard and if you didn’t have a life jacket (which he does) that boat would circle you until you drown
or just chew you up with the prop as happened a few years ago on a lake, UK ??

Farmer Piles

Visit site
It was on the Camel at Padstow. A guy down from London with his family, big RIB with 200hp or so and he swapped the helm with someone and no kill cord attached. The boat bucked or whatever, they all fell out and it went to full lock and just circled in a very tight arc at speed. As I remember the husband and two children were killed and the wife and one child survived with life changing injuries to their legs. She now goes around campaigning about the need to wear them. Two young guys risked their lives in a small tiller steer RIB. They got alongside the bucking speeding RIB and one leapt across and stopped the RIB. Probably would have killed the mum and daughter too if it were not for them.

[165042]

Visit site
It was on the Camel at Padstow. A guy down from London with his family, big RIB with 200hp or so and he swapped the helm with someone and no kill cord attached. The boat bucked or whatever, they all fell out and it went to full lock and just circled in a very tight arc at speed. As I remember the husband and two children were killed and the wife and one child survived with life changing injuries to their legs. She now goes around campaigning about the need to wear them. Two young guys risked their lives in a small tiller steer RIB. They got alongside the bucking speeding RIB and one leapt across and stopped the RIB. Probably would have killed the mum and daughter too if it were not for them.

Accident report shows how Sky executive and his daughter were killed

SC35

Visit site
Maybe in future, steering systems will react proportionally to the speed of the boat.
Or have a limiter at high speeds.

It doesn't make much sense to allow a steering input that ejects the driver and half the passengers into the sea.

Fire99

Visit site
I still thing personal accountability is important. Yes the boat design may not be ideal etc but then how many other boats are affected by bad loading or even how people are sitting on the boat? The bottom line is if a Kill Cord was worn then as far as I can see it wouldn't happen. Much like rock climbing without a safety line, peoples choices have consequences. Sometimes severe.