Alfa WiFi boosters?

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I assume bob has an Alfa booster AWUS036H (or NH, NHR etc.) or Tube variant connected to an Alfa R36. No problem with that as the R36 powers and operates the booster. Everything else simply sees the R36 as an Access Point and won't have a problem connecting. The only issues tend to be with getting the booster to work with the R36.

So no additional issues using Android vs. Windows PC.

However, you can't simply plug an Alfa booster into an Android tablet (or Apple device either). You'd probably need something like USB OTG to connect the tablet, Alfa booster and supply power. Unfortunately, it wouldn't help as I don't think Android devices have the drivers needed to use the booster. It may well also vary from device to device as not all will have support for rtl8187 (the chip in AWUS036H) in the Android kernel. Chipset will vary from one Alfa booster to another.

Last edited:

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Thanks for this, I will give it a go!

I assume you mean the R36 & booster combination. If this is the case, take care to buy from same source or match R36 with booster. R36 is sold with firmware specific to a model of Alfa booster (depends on chipset used in booster).

If you get it wrong then it won't work. However, you can then update the R36 firmware to match the booster you have purchased. http://www.crucialwifi.co.uk will support stuff that they sell and it won't be counterfeit with dodgy performance. I see that they currently have some 2nd hand kit on sale (e.g. AWUS036H for £12). Also, don't simply assume that the most powerful model is best (e.g. 500mW, 1000mW, 2000mW etc.).

Last edited:

syneraida

syneraida.com
@carmel2 - Have you bought the Alpha WIFI booster? I don't know how techy minded you are, but if you've not already bought the alpha WIFI booster may I suggest an alternative solution?

The Ubiquity Bullet, with a high gain antenna, plug all that into TP-Link MR3020 router and you will have a setup that gives you WIFI from over 1km away and all for about £120. Let me know if you want more info and I'll forward on some details about our setup.

It's not that hard to set up even if you're not an IT expert, its just it's not just a plug it in and use it solution.

Either way good luck what ever solution you go for.

boatmike

Visit site
@carmel2 - Have you bought the Alpha WIFI booster? I don't know how techy minded you are, but if you've not already bought the alpha WIFI booster may I suggest an alternative solution?

The Ubiquity Bullet, with a high gain antenna, plug all that into TP-Link MR3020 router and you will have a setup that gives you WIFI from over 1km away and all for about £120. Let me know if you want more info and I'll forward on some details about our setup.

It's not that hard to set up even if you're not an IT expert, its just it's not just a plug it in and use it solution.

Either way good luck what ever solution you go for.

Actually I would be interested in a "non geek" simple explanation of this myself although I will be using a PC with windows 10 and/or an apple tablet..... Please keep it simple though for the sake of a 73 year old fart .........

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Actually I would be interested in a "non geek" simple explanation of this myself although I will be using a PC with windows 10 and/or an apple tablet..... Please keep it simple though for the sake of a 73 year old fart .........

I assume you mean explain the Ubiquity bullet part. Actually very similar to Alfa kit being discussed.

Booster to connect to remote Access Point (marina, cafe etc.)
Alfa AWUS036H better suited to indoor use but they also do an outdoor version "Tube". Ubiquity bullet looks very similar to the "Tube" type. You can stick a bigger antenna on the outdoor types.

Local Access Point around the boat
You connect the booster to a "router" to create a local Wifi network on your boat. This what the Alfa R36 and TP-Link kit does. It takes the boosted marina or cafe signal and makes it available as a local Wifi Access Point (a bit like WiFi on your home broadband if you have that).

The main differences are:
1) The Alfa kit tends to be cheaper but is still well thought of in technical circles.
2) The wired connection between the booster and the router is different. Alfa uses a USB cable and Ubiquity uses a "network" type cable. The latter is better for longer cable runs and also for supplying power to the booster.

RobbieW

Visit site
It is the AWUS036H, I already have it and used to use it on a old bit of kit.

Paul, I dont think the combination of the AWUS036H and an Android tablet is going to work - as outlined by Mistroma above. It relies on a direct USB connection to the device, then the device needs the right driver to operate the booster. You really need the R36 in the middle to convert the boosted WiFi into a local wifi for the boat

RobbieW

Visit site
I assume you mean explain the Ubiquity bullet part. Actually very similar to Alfa kit being discussed....

I have both a Tube and a Bullet, the Tube is a 2H and the Bullet the 2HP. Assuming the user interface hasnt changed much with the newer models (probably not for Alfa but the M models of Bullet have regular firmware updates) I find the Alfa easier to use. Both need the user to do a Site Survey to find avalable signals, then you select one of those signals and add in a password if the signal requires it. The Alfa can remember previously used signals as it has a cache of 'configurations', the Bullet requires that you set it up anew for each change of signal.

...2) The wired connection between the booster and the router is different. Alfa uses a USB cable and Ubiquity uses a "network" type cable. The latter is better for longer cable runs and also for supplying power to the booster.

For completeness, Alfa also have an 'network' connected Tube, the Tube2H. These use 'Power over Ethernet' (PoE) to supply power to the booster. Both Bullet and Alfa boosters can work with a voltage range of around 10-30v so you connect direct from the boat supply using a power injector - usually less than a fiver and from the same supplier as the booster.

Visit site
We use the AWUSO36H and the R36 combination. I have the AWU permanently mounted outside up on my shrouds. I purchased an outdoor waterproof electrical box which is approx. 6in x 4in x 2in into which I have installed the AWU attached to a WIFI booster antenna. I have then run a USB cable down my shroud in to the boat and into the R36 which is located on my saloon bulkhead. To this we connect 2x laptops, 1x HUDL, 1x Nexus + 2 smartphones. I can connect wirelessly with any of those devices straight to the R36 to search for free WIFI hotspots...so far on our way down to the Algarve in 2015 its worked great and the whole set-up cost a fraction of the ready made systems you can buy.. I would also endorse buying from Crucial WIFI as recommended above...they sell genuine ALPHA products, (yes there are fakes out there) and are usually very helpful with any queries you may have,,,

Last edited:

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com

Yes, CrucialWifi have been selling these for quite a while now both direct from their web-site and via Amazon as per your link (& eBay also, I think).

You can probably knock off at least £20 by leaving out the external 8dBi antenna. I think that the Tube(G) comes with an internal 9dBi antenna and that's fine for dry climates. Worth getting for permanent external mount in UK.

Tube(N) has same chipset as AWUS036H but has lower power. I have seen AWUS036H in a brightly coloured waterproof box with large external antenna as mentioned by Garry & June above. Last one I saw was a few years ago when someone showed me a box he'd bought for $200-$300 and said how well it performed. He had opened it a year or so later and found it simply contained an AWUS036H. So box must have cost at least $150 (and it wasn't even gold plated). :D.

Contest1

Visit site
I just bought the Alfa AWUSO36H luxury kit on Amazon that includes a 9db ariel. Then added an active 4 meter extension. Works well enough on my old laptop and am going to buy the R36 next to give me wireless connectivity with my android tablet and phone.
The laptop was important as the software came on a disc and needed several attempts to install properly.
How it would work without a laptop for the setup is worth considering if one is unavailable.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
I just bought the Alfa AWUSO36H luxury kit on Amazon that includes a 9db ariel. Then added an active 4 meter extension. Works well enough on my old laptop and am going to buy the R36 next to give me wireless connectivity with my android tablet and phone.
The laptop was important as the software came on a disc and needed several attempts to install properly.
How it would work without a laptop for the setup is worth considering if one is unavailable.

I think that you are asking "how would you manage to set it up without a laptop when using the AWUS036H / R36 combination".

It is recommended to make initial R36 configuration changes by connecting a PC directly to the LAN port (RJ-45). The reason for this is that some changes will result in you losing the wireless connection. e.g. Changing the Wifi security type and password. So you may possibly make a mistake and not be able to connect via Wifi.

However, you can make the changes via wireless connection and simply reset the R36 if you get locked out. Reset is simply a matter of pressing the button in the base for more than 5 seconds when the R36 is powered up and running. The default settings allow Open wireless access (i.e. no security).

The R36 controls the AWU036H so there are no drivers to load. The driver software is already on the R36 within the firmware (i.e the operating system).
You connect the AWUS036H to the R36 and then turn on the power. The R36 will detect the AWUS036H during startup and will then be ready to look for local Access Points.

You simply connect to the R36 using WiFi, point your browser at the default webpage (http://192.168.2.1) and follow the manual to pick a local AP.

R36 configuration changes are likely to be limited to:

1) Whether to connect via AWUS036H, 3G dongle etc. You'd pick "USB Wireless Adapter" option
2) Name for local Wifi point R36 provides (Whatever you want to name it or leave the default name initially)
3) Type of security used by the local Wifi point and your password (Probably WPA2-PSK)

I'd suggest leaving everything at default settings for an initial test to see if the R36 will talk to the AWUS036H and can connect to a marina/café Access Point.

Connect your tablet via wireless and go to control panel (on http://192.168.2.1). If this shows that R36 won't connect to the AWUS036H it is likely that you have the wrong firmware for your booster. You can see the firmware version at the bottom left on the control panel. It isn't difficult to "flash" new firmware to match your Alfa booster. You would have a major problem if your AWUS036H was a counterfeit one.

Last edited:

[3889]

Visit site

Does the R36 confer any advantage over running Vitual Router on a Win7 laptop with an AWUS036H to create a wifi hotspot?

Last edited:

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Does the R36 confer any advantage over running Vitual Router on a Win7 laptop with an AWUS036H to create a wifi hotspot?

You can do this on Win7 anyway without Virtual Router. The Alfa software also includes an option for virtual Wifi anyway. However, the main advantage of the R36 is that it allows the OP to connect his Android device without having to have a laptop at all. OP asked about using an Android device and I suspect he didn't want to use a laptop at all.

[3889]

Visit site
OK, thanks. I was under the impression you needed Enterprise or Ultimate to create a WiFi hotspot without VR. I have 7 pro which doesn't show the sharing option menus described in online tutorials for windows hotspots.
Another thing...is it not more cost effective, and simpler to setup, a cheap netbook in lieu of the R36, with the added advantage of an additional stand alone device on board (handy for Memory Map charts and marina LAN access)? I'm using a 10"Asus which cost £30 on ebay.

Last edited:

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
OK, thanks. I was under the impression you needed Enterprise or Ultimate to create a WiFi hotspot without VR. I have 7 pro which doesn't show the sharing option menus described in online tutorials for windows hotspots.
Another thing...is it not more cost effective, and simpler to setup, a cheap netbook in lieu of the R36, with the added advantage of an additional stand alone device on board (handy for Memory Map charts and marina LAN access)? I'm using a 10"Asus which cost £30 on ebay.

Only more cost effective if you already have a netbook lying around. An Alfa R36 is about £50 so is much cheaper to buy than a netbook. There are advantages to having a netbook but it if you are actually using phones and tablets anyway then it may be redundant. The R36 only draws about 1A @ 12V but a lot of that will be used to feed the AWUS036H (or other Alfa booster). A netbook would still need to feed power to the Alfa booster and so the R36 actually uses a lot less power than even a netbook.

You are sort of correct about needing Enterprise or Ultimate versions of Win7. Usually the virtual wireless adapter cannot be created or a hosted network cannot be started in Windows 7 Home Basic or Home Premium. There is a pretty well known workaround invoked using an Administrator command prompt.

Something like "netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=myAP key=12345678" to create a virtual wireless adapter. The SSID will be called myAP with the password 12345678 for virtual AP.

Last edited: