Advice Sought

oleander2

Visit site
My son is currently trawling the Caribbean ports looking for a berth home. What advice would the panel give to ensure that he chooses the right boat and skipper?

G

Just ask them if they know what Scuttlebutt forum is, and if the answer's 'Yes' then move on, quickly! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Ask the other crew!!

Actually its not always the boat and the skipper who are the problem - often its the charterers. I have been involved on the periphery of the 'professional yacht' business for a while and I could tell you tales that would make your hair curl about the way that some charterers treat the paid crew on superyachts.

The best jobs often seem to be with good owners who do not charter their boat very much if at all. Sadly economics means these are rare.

There is always some churn in yacht crew appintements, but a lot of movement on a particular boat is another bad sign.

pm me if you want my telephone number for a chat.

tcm

Visit site
Re:probly not Rodney Bay St Lucia - try St martin

that's more of an arrival port than departure at the southern end of the carib islands. The big stepping-off place ready for back across eastbound esp for big boats is St martin, specificallly Simpson's Bay. Antigua possible tho generally better facuilities at simpson's bay for the bigger boats , i would guess easy enuf to get a spot fromthere.

oleander2

Visit site
Re:probly not Rodney Bay St Lucia - try St martin

Thanks for the above. He has actually chosen someone who is going to fly him down to BVI. Young family with a large CAT.

Visit site
Don\'t just dismiss a sensible suggestion as if you were a

world authority or something.

As it happens, and I've seen it with my own eyes, quite a large number of first timers who fetch up at Rodney are all too eager to get back again for various reasons which usually betray the fact that like many of us they really don't have time for all this "world wandering" much less to complete the carib. circuit and just want to get their asset back safely and asap.

Steve Cronin