Advice on boat purchase

leonardermo

Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for some advice please on a boat project purchase. I live in Galway on the west coast of Ireland and I am considering buying a old (late 1980's I think) Four Winns Sundowner 235 as restoration project. The boat will need a lot of work but my main concern is around the engine/outdrive, the engine is a OMC Cobra turbo diesel which I believe is actually a Steyr 236 but the issue is that the engine is missing it's ECU which apparently may have been stolen.
Steyr sell ECU's for 236's still but they are very expensive at around 2500 euros and I'm not even sure if they would even work.
The other concern I have is that the outdrive is a OMC King Cobra type which from what I can see online seems to have a bad reputation. I understand OMC are no longer in business so are parts even available for this drive? If anyone has any advice on either the engine or outdrive or indeed the boat itself, I'd be very grateful, cheers.

Seastoke

Visit site
I would imagine the boat is cheaper than the ecu. I recently saw a 25ft boat with the engine and leg removed then a bracket for the stern to take an outboard. The transom would have been strengthened .

mil1194

www.myitmatters.com
@leonardermo - sorry if you think you’ve been hard done by today then apologies (from me at least). We are generally a friendly bunch but overall have all been bitten by (possibly) the first boat we’ve seen and have romantic ideas of refurbishments/renovations etc. please don’t let this thread put you off re other boats you’re looking at or any other required advice.

Nick1150

Visit site
hhhmmmmm being there, done that....

Actually if you proceed with this project, you will get married with it. I've done that in 2000s restoring a Windy 24, and when decided to sell, it was an adventure!

Just my 2 cents

leonardermo

Visit site
@leonardermo - sorry if you think you’ve been hard done by today then apologies (from me at least). We are generally a friendly bunch but overall have all been bitten by (possibly) the first boat we’ve seen and have romantic ideas of refurbishments/renovations etc. please don’t let this thread put you off re other boats you’re looking at or any other required advice.
@mil1194 No problem, thanks for that, there is another boat that I'm interested in actually. It's a Sunseeker Portofino 25,probably mid 80's, no engine or outdrive and obviously needs a major refurb but looks like a very solid boat. On a trailer as well and seems reasonably priced. I understand that these boats are well regarded ? I'd be hoping fit a diesel Volvo Penta engine or something similar..

leonardermo

Visit site
hhhmmmmm being there, done that....

Actually if you proceed with this project, you will get married with it. I've done that in 2000s restoring a Windy 24, and when decided to sell, it was an adventure!

Just my 2 cents
I know you never get your back on these projects but I would be planning to keep whatever I buy.

Seastoke

Visit site
Well people won’t be queuing up to buy, so first get prices for replacement engine and leg , how much you will spend on refurbish , then compère what boat you can get for that price.

Hot Property

Visit site
For about £7,000 you can buy a complete boat ready for action

You always have a list of things to do as long as your arm on any boat.

Project boats more often than not, never get wet bottoms as they consume vast amounts of cash and time.

Sterndrives are complex bits of kit as well.

An outboard powered 18ft boat would give you endless days of fun.

The question that needs to be asked is:-

Are you more interested in the refurbishment OR do you want to go boating?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240826-203227.png
    Screenshot_20240826-203227.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240826-203503.png
    Screenshot_20240826-203503.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240826-203408.png
    Screenshot_20240826-203408.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

leonardermo

Visit site
I have a lot of experience with car restoration so I definitely want to restore something and then enjoy it on the water but I know financially it just doesn't make sense but there's a great feeling of satisfaction plus you get to know the vehicle really well.

Alicatt

Visit site
Even spending mid 30k on a late 70s cruiser that had 40k spent on it just before we bought it still needs a few k spent on it, in the past two weeks we have spent about 2k on bits and bobs to bring the boat up to a point where we would feel comfortable taking others out on her.

At least the engines sound sweet and though smokey ( they all do that sir ;) ) they don't put any oil out the exhausts.

Last edited:

Mr Googler

Visit site
Restoration can make sense and be profitable. The key is to buy it right in the first place with eyes wide open.

A boat with no engine and outdrive is pretty much worthless. The portofino 25 is a good starting point. As Seastoke said….find the engine and drive first…that’s the make or break bit (very unusual for me to agree with Seacock!)

You sound mechanically minded and if you can do pretty much everything yourself, you can keep costs sensible.

I’ve just finished another project but forum members give me grief about how long things take me so I’m going to do a thread start to finish at some point. Been an interesting one 🤣🤣 This one wasn’t done as a money maker….just to save getting bored and scratch the itch

Virtual pint if anyone can identify this transom shield 👀👀

IMG_2822.jpeg

Bouba

Visit site
For a first boat ....some of your ideas are good.....around 20 foot, on a trailer.....your wrong ideas are...project, inboard petrol engine with outdrive.
Get a cheap runner (the first thing you want to learn is boat handling not boat building) and get a four stroke outboard (most reliable and easiest to work on ....or replace if you have to )

Seastoke

Visit site
Restoration can make sense and be profitable. The key is to buy it right in the first place with eyes wide open.

A boat with no engine and outdrive is pretty much worthless. The portofino 25 is a good starting point. As Seastoke said….find the engine and drive first…that’s the make or break bit (very unusual for me to agree with Seacock!)

You sound mechanically minded and if you can do pretty much everything yourself, you can keep costs sensible.

I’ve just finished another project but forum members give me grief about how long things take me so I’m going to do a thread start to finish at some point. Been an interesting one 🤣🤣 This one wasn’t done as a money maker….just to save getting bored and scratch the itch

Virtual pint if anyone can identify this transom shield 👀👀

View attachment 182078