aaahhh frig it

BrianJ

Visit site
It was 50 years almost to the month since I last sailed into Adelaide on a warship. Then it was part of my National Service training in the R.A. N. this time it was as a guest of the Navy,

The first trip was on H.M.A.S. Australia, a Battle Class Cruiser, and this one on H.M.A.S. Adelaide, a Guided Missile Frigate…I must say I preferred the Frigate, particularly as my son was the Commanding Officer.
Wow what a trip, I drove from Melbourne to Adelaide, then flew to Perth where David met me and we went straight to the Adelaide.

Next morning we sailed early and some fifty miles out started the first of the training exercises. Several RAAF aircraft came searching for us with the intention of sinking us. I stayed in the “Opps” room and was amazed at the array of computers, etc that allowed the ship to spot the bandits and take evasive action.

Then over the next few days as we crossed The Great Australian Bight, we did more training, i.e., fire fighting, small arms firing, man over board drill, first aid, damage control. Just to mention a few.

I spent as much time as possible on the Bridge, annoying the Navigator, who was happy to answer my questions. I must say they sure work the Middies these days and keep them busy day and night.

The weather was kind… sure big seas, a constant roll as we turned the corner and headed East. (Nothing much between the South Pole and the bottom of OZ to stop those big waves.) You might remember Adelaide was the ship that went south to rescue Tony Bullamore, (sp) however David was not on board then

Next stop Adelaide. The river is difficult to negotiate so David took command himself and many times I had my hart in my mouth as we headed up to the berth, as expected he came alongside and would not have cracked an egg if it was between the ship and the wharf.

Over the next few days he had “official duties “ i.e. calling on the Governor of SA, the Lord Mayor etc. I went ashore and did not see him till he led his crew on a “Freedom of Entry March” through Adelaide.
Now that’s when I had tears in my eyes as he passed by the official dais where I was and gave the eyes left command. A very proud moment in my life.

Then after saying my good-byes, I hopped in the car for a 500-mile drive back to Melbourne…. Again full of pride and just so happy.

Brian J

<hr width=100% size=1>

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Sounds excellent Brian - great post. You must be very proud of your Son.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.co.uk/geoffwestgarth/myhomepage/travelwriting.html>Click for website!</A>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Word of advice

Suggest he might want to keep clear of the reefs off Lord Howe Island - unless you've got shares in a ship repairer!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/content/138_6158_599_0.html>http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/content/138_6158_599_0.html</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Nice post BrianJ, well done your son.

I visited HMS Invincible (aircraft carrier) a little while back, and was struck not just by the impressiveness of the kit in Opps Room, but by how odd it looked in the anachronistic Opps Room itself which could have provided the set for a WWII movie.

Bit surprising that in the current international climate they are allowing civvies on exercises. I've heard they are getting very touchy in the US, keeping yachts well away from moored ships for example.

Gordonmc

Visit site
Very interesting post, which reminded me of a jolly in an "O" class submarine in the Clyde a few years ago. Apart from taking a periscope photo. of my local on the beach and sampling the blue-label Plymouth gin in the wardroom it was an insight to the operations of the boats which take part in annual Perisher exercises in my sailing waters.
In those (not too many) years ago, you could get on board by meeting a crew member.
Now its complete ban on civvies. Understandable, but a shame.

<hr width=100% size=1>

yoda

Visit site
Not a complete ban but pressure of work does limit the opertunity to take civis to sea and it tends to be kept for those who support the RN in one way or another normally through affiliations with individual ships.

Yoda

<hr width=100% size=1>