A Williams Jet Rib Guide

jrudge

Visit site
Hi everyone I am new to this forum. I’ve read every post and feel you all could be very helpful I am the owner of a 2006 Williams 285 beautifully engineered but has the Weber 750 engine which as we all know it’s getting very hard to maintain due to lack of parts I have a problem where when I try to start the engine it turns fine but just won’t fire and then suddenly it will fire I can warm the engine up turn it off and won’t fire again I have found however if I turn the isolator switch off and on again with the engine warm it fires up straight away did it five times in a row left it for two or three hours tried again and it wouldn’t start but did start after Many attempts compression is fine I’ve got a feeling it’s an electrical issue but could be wrong anyone got any ideas thanks Jonathan
The main issue is sensors.

the temp sensor has played up on mine. First check the wiring to the sensors and clean. Next either get it on a diagnostic machine or just change sensors / spark coils until it runs. Not scientific but likely to work.

jrudge

Visit site
Yes both in UK and Mallorca. Both have said they are unobtainable. I even tried Weber Power in America and they do not have either.
I am surprised they have Recon ones - that suggests that someone must repair them.

I suppose if the leak can be found - if - then it could be repaired but I suspect this is tricky.

the 850 manifolds are out of stock also. I don’t know if they and the 750 have been end of lifes or Just supply chain issues.

given these engines run thousands of jet ski / rib etc I would hope not end of life

JaDuval

Visit site
The main issue is sensors.

the temp sensor has played up on mine. First check the wiring to the sensors and clean. Next either get it on a diagnostic machine or just change sensors / spark coils until it runs. Not scientific but likely to work.
Thanks I will do!

Peterlewis321

Visit site
Hi, does anyone have any experience with quick release steering wheels on their Williams? Any recommendations on how to retrofit (and what make etc) from standard fixed? Asked my local Williams dealer and they have quote most €350 plus tax plus shipping for the quick release parts (which seems a bit pricey).
appreciate any advice please!

Peterlewis321

Visit site

Impacked

Visit site
There was a lot wrong with the old one, mainly manifold, low compression, turbo and jet. Manifold was obsolete so could not be replaced.

Alindquist

Visit site
Great thread, learning a bunch. I recently purchased a 2015 Williams 335 turbojet with Weber 850. Super excited as I have always wanted one. Unfortunately on my maiden voyage we had a problem. It’s starts and idles great, when I advance the throttle it revs to about 4000 rpm’s then falls off. I’m thinking it’s going into a limp mode. I have reseated all the sensors, checked grounds and everything appears to be fine. I’m kind of lost and not sure where to begin. I’m located in the Florida panhandle and there isn’t a Williams dealer, and I can’t find anyone to service it. I spoke with Williams America they haven’t been any help, I’ve reached out to Williams via email twice and have not gotten a response

jrudge

Visit site
Great thread, learning a bunch. I recently purchased a 2015 Williams 335 turbojet with Weber 850. Super excited as I have always wanted one. Unfortunately on my maiden voyage we had a problem. It’s starts and idles great, when I advance the throttle it revs to about 4000 rpm’s then falls off. I’m thinking it’s going into a limp mode. I have reseated all the sensors, checked grounds and everything appears to be fine. I’m kind of lost and not sure where to begin. I’m located in the Florida panhandle and there isn’t a Williams dealer, and I can’t find anyone to service it. I spoke with Williams America they haven’t been any help, I’ve reached out to Williams via email twice and have not gotten a response
What do you mean by falls off. Drop or will not Rev more ?

limp mode is one cylinder and about 2000 rpm.

the most likely cause is a stuck turbo. Remove the hose on the cold section ( facing forward ) put your finger in an make sure it spins.

If it doesn’t it needs a new turbo but the issue then is why. The most likely is an exhaust manifold leak of salt water. You need a new one. The bad news is they are not currently available.

if the turbo spins then the next likely cause is the catalyst is gummed up. Happened to mine last summer. You remove the catalyst cover and simply remove it. You need a new gadget from Williams to put it back together again.
Test turbo first. Takes 5 mins

finally was it working on your pre purchase sea trial ? If should have reved to 6500 / 7000

Alindquist

Visit site
What do you mean by falls off. Drop or will not Rev more ?

limp mode is one cylinder and about 2000 rpm.

the most likely cause is a stuck turbo. Remove the hose on the cold section ( facing forward ) put your finger in an make sure it spins.

If it doesn’t it needs a new turbo but the issue then is why. The most likely is an exhaust manifold leak of salt water. You need a new one. The bad news is they are not currently available.

if the turbo spins then the next likely cause is the catalyst is gummed up. Happened to mine last summer. You remove the catalyst cover and simply remove it. You need a new gadget from Williams to put it back together again.
Test turbo first. Takes 5 mins

finally was it working on your pre purchase sea trial ? If should have reved to 6500 / 7000
Thanks for the response, the turbo spins freely and I was told it was replaced a year ago. I’ll take a look at the catalyst. BTW it is a 325 not 335.
When I advance the throttle it goes to about 4000 rpm’s then falls back to 3400-3500. I was told by the previous owners captain that they it running perfectly then the owner decided to buy a new 385 and it hadn’t been used in about 7 months. I have managed to find all the manuals for the motor but I can’t find anyone with a scan tool. I’ll try to post some pictures and a video.

Alindquist

Visit site
Also I realized that I have off-road version of the repair manual. Does anyone have a .pdf of the marine version? Is there much of a difference?

jrudge

Visit site
Having watched the video I would say the first thing to check is fuel supply / restriction / filter. Does the fuel pump whirr when you turn on the ignition?

It is common rail so if you disconnect the return you should have very large quantities of fuel squirting out - make sure it has somewhere to go - there will be a lot of it if the pump is working and there are no obstructions).

Failing that get a jet ski / Williams dealer to stick a scanner on it.

That won't be the calalyst as that just limits power as the exhaust is clogged it does not result in pulsing of the revs.

Nor will it be the turbo as it is below the rev range where the turbo makes much difference.

There are sensors all over it. You say you have played with them all. I would also use contact cleaner.

The MAP sensors are cheap on Amazon etc. and it has 2 so for the small cost ( you then have spares) buy one and try it in one place and then the other.

The other one that goes is the temp sensor on the top of the engine. Again cheap and you then have a spare.

Alindquist

Visit site
The fuel pump is definitely kicking on when you turn the key but I’ll try that. I’ll also try to clean up the connections. I’m desperately trying to find a dealer or someone with a scanner. Thanks for your help

jrudge

Visit site
Either change more sensors or get a computer on it. Sensor change is not ideal but they are mostly cheap on the aftermarket and the last time i had Williams put a computer on a rib it cost some euro 300 which buys a lot of sensors !

this is course assumes there is not an injector / ecu issue etc. so simply changing sensors does not guarantee an outcome but in the absence of diagnostic tools gives some chance of a repair as sensors are usually the most fragile part.

Alindquist

Visit site
That would be ideal however I can't find anyone in the Florida Panhandle that even knows what a weber motor is let alone has a computer.

I keep coming back to this, according to the service manual page 21:
"If one of the following speed limitations is active there is a malfunction.
Speed limitations results in decreased driving performance and
can cause unusual vehicle responses. Immediately inspect the
cause and repair possible faults by a qualified workshop. All
Textron Motors authorized workshops are qualified to repair your
engine.
6000 min-1 [rpm] Electrical fault valve boost pressure control
5000 min-1 [rpm] Synchronization fault of sensors camshaft /
crankshaft
4500 min-1 [rpm] Fault pedal value sensor
4000 min-1 [rpm] Fault electronic throttle system (drive-by-wire)
2000 min-1 [rpm] Overheating engine (Observe section Engine
temperature.)"
The engine will rev to exactly 4000 rpm's then fall back down to 3200-3400 rpm's and stay there. If what I'm reading is correct then the problem is with the drive-by-wire. Has anyone had problems with that? Could my problem be with the "Throttle Request Unit" Part 406547? Could it be in the throttle assembly?