A small leak below the waterline-repair between the tides

crown22

Visit site
Hi everybody,
Lifted my bilge keeler in yesterday and the paddle wheel log has a small leak inside the boat. About one pint every three hours.
The water should find its way eventually to the very good up to now Whale Smart Bilge Pump and go over the
side. Am trying to avoid the expense and embarrassment of lifting back out. I was thinking of going over the
side when the tides out and covering the log impellor opening with something like Isopon car body filler or something
which is guaranteed to dry and set within about six hours. I'm a bit nervous about removing the impellor unit completely and attempting
filling the entire hole in case the filling(?) falls out and the boat sinks. Thanks in advance. By the way these NASA(?) log impellors seem
to have a reputation for this kind of thing?

Corribee Boy

Visit site
Get a new log housing and the right type of sealant. Easily doable in a tide, even single-handed.

When I had a similar leak, the entire tube sheared shortly thereafter, which was a lot more stressful then replacing the tube!

veshengro

Visit site
The leak as it is shouldn't really be a problem, at least temporarily until you can fix it properly, that is as long as you are confident of the bilge pump.
You could do what I did with my old 20 foot bilge keeler that developed a leak in the heads. Crawl under at low water and whack a soft wood plug, hard, into the intake hole and put some sealant on the inside. You can always drill the plug out for a proper fix at the next lift out.

Solent Sailor

Visit site
Replace the housing, and get plenty of sikflex 291i on the new one. It will set even in the water, although better to give it some time out of the water if at all possible (between tides).

Have an appropriately sized softwood bung on standby in case of issues with the new tube (although there shouldn't be any). Any issues, and hammer that home from the outside in, and that will prevent a sinking. You could even sikaflex that in as a temporary holding repair if it came to it.

NormanS

Visit site
Mine is a different make, so I don't know, but mine has two possibilities for leaks. If it's the seal between the hull and the fitting, it really needs to come out and be rebedded. If however, it's like mine and the bit with the paddle wheel, can be taken out for cleaning etc, it may just be a case of unscrewing the large retaining nut, and taking it out. Then carefully clean and check the rubber O rings, then smear them with vaseline or similar and refit.
Mine has an automatic flap which closes when the unit is withdrawn, and helps to reduce the inflow of water.

penfold

Visit site
Is it the fitting leaking or the O ring on the transducer? As you note NASA fittings have a bit of a reputation, following the installation instructions is important.

dankilb

Visit site
Replace the housing, and get plenty of sikflex 291i on the new one. It will set even in the water, although better to give it some time out of the water if at all possible (between tides).

Don’t use Sika or other polyurethane on NASA logs (if that’s what the OP has/chooses - they’re common after all). Instructions say so. Silicone instead apparently. And glass the inside into the hull! Still doable - per the instructions - within a tide if you’re quick.

northwind

Visit site
something like Isopon car body filler
Check that whatever you use is waterproof, car body filler is not! Putting a plug of filler in the hole is not the right way of fixing a hole below the waterline, you could end up with the filler 'plug' being pushed back into the hull and you will be left with a hole!

If you want to do away with the hole, you need to do it properly with laminate, as others have said better to fix the transducer fitting.