2GM20 start key. Gets knocked when left in the control panel where the start is

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
Hi. still new to yacht engines etc. Is it ok to remove the start key after starting the engine? Would have to turn the key to off before removing. wasnt sure if that is ok to do or it should be left in and on position while the engine is running

thanks

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
I would have thought if you switch the 'ignition' off and remove the key then there won't be anything to power the warning lights/alarms.

There is also a suggestion it might knacker the alternator but I think that one considered to be false.

RupertW

Visit site
On my last panel with a key you could remove it without switching the ignition off. I always did this after a lot of hassle getting the remains of a broken key out.

johnalison

Visit site
I think that if this were my situation I would want the installation changed. My current key is under a Perspex flap and the previous one inside, well recessed above the steps.

Daverw

Visit site
We can remove ours in both positions, although we leave it in when sailing in case we want to restart quickly, have a sliding cover that stops it getting pulled out by accident

prv

Visit site
The key on our previous boat was in a very vulnerable position just inside the hatch, and the "lock" was knackered anyway, you could turn it with the handle of a teaspoon. I replaced it with a simple (albeit chunky - I think the key switch is rated to something like 20 amps) rotary switch.

Security wasn't an issue on that boat since the panel was inside, but our current boat came with a keyless push-button panel too. The engine can't be started when the boat's unoccupied since the batteries are turned off.

Pete

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
thanks all for the replies. yeah the panel position is very vulnerable. Even the throttle lever gets knocked easily. when the engine is turned off theres a loud pitch beep until the ignition is off. i too heard the starter or alternator might be damaged if the key is turned to the off position while the engine is running. being able to remove the key without risk to the system would be suitable.

my yanmar panel is surface mounted-
sg7sPbO.jpg

Last edited:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
thanks all for the replies. yeah the panel position is very vulnerable. Even the throttle lever gets knocked easily. when the engine is turned off theres a loud pitch beep until the ignition is off. i too heard the starter or alternator might be damaged if the key is turned to the off position while the engine is running. being able to remove the key without risk to the system would be suitable.

my yanmar panel is surface mounted-
View attachment 79275

The danger is in disconnecting the alternator from the batteries whilst the engine is running. Turn the key to remove it does not do that.

Richard

reeac

Visit site
I once needed to start the engine quickly because of some incident (I forget the details) and I was wearing sailing gloves, the key was in a jacket pocket and I had to remove my gloves in order to get at the key. After that experience I made sure that the key was always in the switch when we were on the boat.

Red Panda

Visit site
I've got a 2gm20 on my boat, but the panel's recessed (and on the inside of the transom) so not likely to get knocked. I leave the key in all the time while sailing.

You could make up a little enclosure for yours, or at least a surround to protect it ?

Stemar

Visit site
On my boat, the engine panel, including stop cable and keyed ignition switch was well out of the way, below. After a few fraught moments when I wanted the engine in a bit of a hurry, it's now in the cockpit. An "ignition" switch without a key, a start button, warning lights and the stop cable. Security is provided by a switch below that isolates the battery. I rather think key switches are not ideal on a boat.

Stemar

Visit site
The start button was something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12mm-Met...083762&hash=item1ef368a911:g:9gMAAOSwBjxcTpsC

I couldn't find the one I got on line and can't remember where I got it, but is was a simple waterproof on/off rocker switch without a light. To replace a two position key switch, take +12v to one side of the rocker switch, then two leads from the other side, one to the starter button and on to the starter solenoid and the other to all the other gubbins - oil pressure, etc.

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
oh ok. my panel has a push button to start the engine but key to turn on the ignition like on a car, be good to replace the need for a key with a switch

my panel is the same as this-

yanmar-a-panel-5074-p[ekm]296x154[ekm].png

start button on the left, buzzer in the middle and key on right

Last edited:

Stemar

Visit site
I don't know that panel, but I'd guess the key switch has just two positions for the key, off and on, but possibly several contacts. Is that right? If so, you could simply replace it with any waterproof on/off switch that fits in the hole and a bit of ingenuity to piggy back the connections.

Clive

Visit site
I don't know that panel, but I'd guess the key switch has just two positions for the key, off and on, but possibly several contacts. Is that right? If so, you could simply replace it with any waterproof on/off switch that fits in the hole and a bit of ingenuity to piggy back the connections.

On my X-Yacht the engine panel has a clear molded perspex cover. It keeps most of the rain and spray of the panel and has 2 holes cut into the face, one for the key and the other for the starter button.

It would be easy to make a cover box, with the top and 2 sides water tight and a clear face (so you can still see the warning lights) with 2 holes cut for the key and the push starter button.
(leave the bottom to allow any water to drain and air to circulate.)

Daydream believer

Visit site
On my boat the panel is in the footwell of the cockpit so always getting kicked. my solution was to fit a piece of hardwood along the top ( with sika) then hinge a polycarbonate panel to that using webbing as a hinge (screwed to the hardwood & pop riveted to the polycarbonate)
There is a small buffer at the bottom to hold it off so it sits parallel & an elastic loop to a hook to keep it shut
Dead easy to make at home & then fit on the boat.