12v fan

blxm

Visit site
I know this has been covered before but I’m struggling to find any threads with the search function so apologies in advance.
I’m looking to get a couple of 12 v fans and so far the ones I have tried are so noisy and power hungry it wouldn’t be possible to sleep with them.
We don’t need a fan capable of running a wind tunnel but something quiet enough to sleep with. Currently using a small USB fan that’s ‘OK’ but could do with a bit more flow.
Happy if someone can point me to a Link to a previous thread.
What are others using?

Mike

hoped4

Visit site
Caframo Scirocco. One next to each berth. They have a 2,4,6 hr timer - In Greece we mostly find 2hrs to get to sleep is enough but obviously depends on temperature. Low power consumption. In my opinion worth the price.

Richard10002

Visit site
I bought one of these from QVC for £70 just before the last heat wave. Runs from a USB socket and is pretty much the dogs bollocks, as far as I'm concerned.

12 speed settings. Remote control. Timer. carry handle.

I wondered if it would be worth the money, but QVC give a 30 day money back guarantee - it wont be going back!

They do a 350 version, and a 1050 version - I think the numbers refer to litres per hour, or something like that.

https://www.meaco.com/cooling/meacofan-650-air-circulator

cmedsailor

Visit site
In my previous boat I had both hellas turbo fans and those frameless cafranos in all cabins and the saloon. All were relatively quiet at low output, though the frameless cafranos were vibrating and making lots of noise.
However my favorite, which I still use in my new boat, is a USB fan. It doesn't push that much air (but it's OK if you keep it close to you) but it is very, very quiet. And very cheap by the way.

GHA

Visit site
In my previous boat I had both hellas turbo fans and those frameless cafranos in all cabins and the saloon. All were relatively quiet at low output, though the frameless cafranos were vibrating and making lots of noise.
However my favorite, which I still use in my new boat, is a USB fan. It doesn't push that much air (but it's OK if you keep it close to you) but it is very, very quiet. And very cheap by the way.

:encouragement:, same here,. coframo aren't all that quiet.

Prefer USB fan in the bunk, though the little metal frame ones aren't that great, local diy shop does these ones which are next to silent even on high speed & kick out enough to keep you cool at night.

https://www.aki.pt/Mini-ventoinha-azul-3W-10cm-EQUATION-P75372.aspx

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com

Our Caframo is very quiet and runs all night at lower speed with low current draw (~0.2A or less). It isn't particularly noisy on high power and I could sleep with it on. However, it would be like sleeping through a moderate gale. :D

I do remember being told that it was 50:50 whether or not a Caframo was noisy or quiet. No idea if it is true and other Caframo owners have commented on lack of noise. Perhaps you were unlucky and bought a noisy one.

Last edited:

geem

Visit site
Our Caframo is very quiet and runs all night at lower speed with low current draw (~0.2A or less). It isn't particularly noisy on high power and I could sleep with it on. However, it would be like sleeping through a moderate gale. :D

I do remember being told that it was 50:50 whether or not a Caframo was noisy or quiet. No idea if it is true and other Caframo owners have commented on lack of noise. Perhaps you were unlucky and bought a noisy one.

We use Hella fans but during particularly hot spells we plug a 220v desk fan in to a small inverter and run that as well. It moves a hell of a air quietly compared to small 12v types.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
We use Hella fans but during particularly hot spells we plug a 220v desk fan in to a small inverter and run that as well. It moves a hell of a air quietly compared to small 12v types.

We also have a 230V fan but haven't used it for a year or so. We used it when on shorepower in 2017 but haven't bothered since we bought a Caframo. I'll probably buy a spare Caframo for 2020 as it is much quieter than the 230V fan and moves more than enough air. I also have a small 12V computer fan (zero cost as I recycled it from an old PC). It hangs from chart light and is great when I'm on the PC. Too weak for use when sleeping but plenty of air movement when working on the PC.

geem

Visit site
We also have a 230V fan but haven't used it for a year or so. We used it when on shorepower in 2017 but haven't bothered since we bought a Caframo. I'll probably buy a spare Caframo for 2020 as it is much quieter than the 230V fan and moves more than enough air. I also have a small 12V computer fan (zero cost as I recycled it from an old PC). It hangs from chart light and is great when I'm on the PC. Too weak for use when sleeping but plenty of air movement when working on the PC.
We have had Caframo fans on the past. I couldnt detect much difference in noise level between those and Hella when new but the Hella seem to get nosier as they wear. The desk fan we chose is super quite. Far quieter than either 12v fan and moves so much more air. We have 7 Hella fans

billcole

Visit site
Quiet PC sell lots of different size carefully aerodynamically designed 12v fans for building your own quiet PC . I've got an 8" Noctua which is quiet, effective, and less than £30. Easy enough to make up a frame to suspend it in a foredeck hatch. Iv'e also got a couple of smaller ones that can be trapped in an open Lewmar No1 portlight.

https://www.quietpc.com/casefans

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Quiet PC sell lots of different size carefully aerodynamically designed 12v fans for building your own quiet PC . I've got an 8" Noctua which is quiet, effective, and less than £30. Easy enough to make up a frame to suspend it in a foredeck hatch. Iv'e also got a couple of smaller ones that can be trapped in an open Lewmar No1 portlight.

https://www.quietpc.com/casefans

I have a PC fan on just now and hanging from the chart table light. It works very well to keep me cool when typing but not powerful enough for use above a berth when sleeping. I might have a look at some more powerful ones and mount on brackets either side of the berth.

I didn't mention one problem I've had with a Caframo fan. I spotted small black sooty spots in a cover in the aft-cabin and found the Caframo was to blame. I assume it has carbon brushes.

I blew through the vents in the back and caught a lot of carbon in a tissue held near the front vents. The carbon did clear up after 5-6 blow throughs. I did this on the quay and forgot that there was another rear facing vent. I had a very nice black goatee when I finished.:D I cleaned it again a few months later and remembered to block the spare rear vent with a tissue while blowing into the top vents. No problem this time but still careful to avoid inhaling until well upwind afterwards.

I keep meaning to dismantle it at end of the season for a proper clean and to examine the brushes. No idea yet where to get spares if they are very worn. I will need to measure them and get some generic brushes.

Last edited:

geem

Visit site
One trick we have used with great success is to place our 220v desk fan in the escape hatch from the aft cabin. I made a cardboard plate with a hole the size of the desk fan blade that gives a good seal for the fan in the hatch. The fan just sits on its side and blows cool air in to the back cabin from outside. With the aft cabin portlights open we get a lovely cool breeze through the cabin with the cabin door closed. The fan is under the bimini so stays dry if we get a shower whilst at anchor. You can precool the cabin before going to bed with this set up.

Visit site
I have Caframo fans. Not that impressed. They get rattly over time. The Bora models are a pain in the ass as they can't be cleaned with taking them apart. One of them no longer functions as the button cannot be pressed.

The 737/747 fans are open with soft blades. These are slightly noisier. The blades can be replaced and will need to be after a while, but replacements aren't always easy to get hold of.