12v fan

Pasarell

Visit site
Another vote for Caframo which are excellent compared with any others I've seen. We have a Bora in our cabin and the open bladed ones in other cabins including one on a roving lead for the cockpit and boosting in the galley area. We easily sleep with them but in the V berth, where it is mounted under a cupboard, I had to play around with some padding in the mount to get rid of some resonance with the wood.
I've bought all mine on trips to the US when they used to be quite cheap but exchange rates have pretty much wiped out the advantage over the last year or so.

differentroads

blog.offbeatsadventures.com
Caframo for longevity and current draw. Two of my six year old Caframo Boras have been on 24/7 pretty much every day this summer in Southern Spain and the Balearics.
Yes, they are a little noisey. Fine for the saloon if you don't sleep there. My wife is fine with the Caframo Sirocco above our bunk but it wakes me, so a winter project is to add some truly silent computer fans to waft a cooling breeze over the bunk.
And the Boras are a pain to clean. Bits of damp rag round a stick (like a big cotton bud) works, but disassembley is needed from time to time.

Tim Good

Visit site
The key to a 12v fan is to have lots of space behind them... without it then they just don't blow much air and just make a noise instead... so get a smaller quieter fan and just ensure lots of space around it.

geem

Visit site
The key to a 12v fan is to have lots of space behind them... without it then they just don't blow much air and just make a noise instead... so get a smaller quieter fan and just ensure lots of space around it.
As a rule of thumb a fan diameter behind the fan is sufficient for the fan to perform at full volume flow rate.

differentroads

blog.offbeatsadventures.com
Caframo for longevity and current draw....And the Boras are a pain to clean. Bits of damp rag round a stick (like a big cotton bud) works, but disassembley is needed from time to time.
Or, as I discovered today, a wet wipe screwed up into a taper and poked around while the fan is on 'clumps' up the dust, most of which then gets spat out by the air moving through the fan. It's amazing that being too lazy to even turn a fan off makes cleaning it easier!!!
Word to the wise though. Don't do this AFTER your wife has vacuum the floor. And don't boast about it being a labour saving innovation that she should thank you for. ?

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Or, as I discovered today, a wet wipe screwed up into a taper and poked around while the fan is on 'clumps' up the dust, most of which then gets spat out by the air moving through the fan. It's amazing that being too lazy to even turn a fan off makes cleaning it easier!!!
Word to the wise though. Don't do this AFTER your wife has vacuum the floor. And don't boast about it being a labour saving innovation that she should thank you for. ��

I've found that blowing through the holes in the rear whilst holding a tissue near the holes in the front works well. Best done outside. I can make a good seal with my mouth (careful not to inhale) and dust stops appearing after 2nd or 3rd blow. We used to find black flecks on sheets from time to time before I realised they were coming from the fan.

Word of warning: My Caframo has a single small rear facing grill below the ones I blow through. Easy to miss as it is underneath the main body. I now block it with a finger when blowing the top vent clear. You get a nice Van Dyke beard (V For Vendetta) effect if that hole is left clear. Only did this once and my wife thought it was hilarious. She did eventually suggest that I should look in a mirror. :D

Last edited:

cic

Visit site
If you want a VERY quiet fan try a Meaco Meacofan 360. We now have three on our boat. Even on high speeds you can hardly hear them and on low speed they make no noise at all.

They have a timer function and will oscillate back and forth if you want it to.

Runs off a USB 5V supply and draws very little power. I have a phone rechargeable pack that I use for the rear cabins where there is no easy power source. Will run of that for two or three nights without a recharge. In the main cabin I plug into my phone multiway USB off the 12V supply - where I also charge my phone(s).