‘Preavis Immigration’/Notice of Arrival

Bandit

Visit site
Assuming you are not looking to travel in early March, some of the info on french port websites could be out of date ?

I sent this to a port in north Brittany last week :
Dear Sir or Madam

I could not find the customs declaration sheet on your website for visiting private boats arriving from the Channel Islands or the United Kingdom.

Can you please confirm whether the system as used in 2022 will be the same for 2023 and what date will this entry procedure start?

For a yachtsman from the Channel Islands or the UK travelling to St Malo or St Brieuc to clear customs is very time consuming, expensive and unattractive. Whereas deep water 24 hour tidal access ports such St Cast or St Quay-Portrieux would be quick, practical and convenient.

Yours sincerely

The reply I got was not encouraging:
Hello Sir,

For the moment, we have no idea about the organisation. We hope that it will be the same procedure as next year and that we can welcome you in the same conditions.
This is pending for now… You can send us a e-mail in April, maybe we will have some news.

Hope to see you soon again.
Kind regards.

ETIAS is due into service in November 2023, it would appear they have not agreed the system for this year? Perhaps private boats going on holiday from UK to France was top of Rishi's list when he met Christine Le Garde, but I doubt it!!!!!!!!!!

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Download.... but where from, Dieppe would be nice ?

I stamped out of Schengen, from Dieppe, last October. No paperwork was required there (at that time). Just turned up at the ferry terminal, explained that I planned to return to the UK aboard my own vessel, and asked for an exit stamp in my passport. Hoping to book in there, on the same basis, this season…..
NB Bumped into a fellow Brit, on my return from the ferry terminal. He had asked about a pre avis form in the capitainerie. They had produced a hard copy form (not available on line) which, on completion, they scanned over to the ferry terminal. Time will tell if the form is required when booking in. My experience of stamping in at Cherbourg, last May, was that, although I filled in the pre Avis on line, when I went to the Police Aux Frontieres, to get my passport stamped, they asked me to fill in a paper version. Said they couldn’t access the account to which the on line forms were sent!

Last edited:

lustyd

Visit site
I feel like you asked the wrong question. At a country level things are the same until they have changed, not renewed annually.
“Has the entry procedure changed” will probably get a “no”. “What will the procedure be next season” will get a “who knows” until it’s finalised.

oldgit

Visit site
Thanks for that, will investigate.
Would have thought that somewhere as important as Dieppe would have its own weblink.
The "plan" is late June and of course will endevour to go via that fine new marina in Dover.

Slowboat35

Visit site
What really would be a massive boon would be a list of the addresses and links to Préavis forms for each of the ports of entry east of Cherbourg as they don't seem to be part of the very sensible looking scheme linked in Post #2, and seem darn hard things to find.

lustyd

Visit site
It's the same form, just different email addresses. What you need is the list of email addresses. I believe the CA has all of this info, that was where the boat next to us got it all from last year while we were in France, and they passes some on to us as we couldn't find it. Joining CA is on my to do list but not got around to it yet

oldgit

Visit site
Surely that "august" organisation the RYA will have pages and pages of downloadable information already on this somewhere on their website among the adverts for technical clothing , holidays ,wine , articles on dinghy racing and boats you will only be able to know about on a world AIS app. ?

Beneteau381

Visit site
Surely that "august" organisation the RYA will have pages and pages of downloadable information already on this somewhere on their website among the adverts for technical clothing , holidays ,wine , articles on dinghy racing and boats you will only be able to know about on a world AIS app. ?
Although still a member, my view? RYA lost the plot years ago!

lustyd

Visit site
It can. If you turn up at immigration without filling one in it just takes a bit longer.

oldgit

Visit site
It can. If you turn up at immigration without filling one in it just takes a bit longer.

As a Moboer only want three things on arrival at the destination.
A . Nice mooring with shorepower, plus a selection of decent resturants no more than 100m away.
B .No expensive noises eminating from the engine room.
C. No possible prospect whatever of wearysome faffing about with forms and paperwork.
D. Weather forecast predicting F1 moderating for the next couple of weeks.

lustyd

Visit site

A . Nice mooring with shorepower, plus a selection of decent resturants no more than 100m away.
C. No possible prospect whatever of wearysome faffing about with forms and paperwork.
That explains why they all head to Cowes then ;)

Completely agree with this list, although as a sailor I'd quite like a F3-F4 please.

Lightwave395

Visit site

That's four things on your list...

Best to stay in the UK perhaps then :)

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
I stamped out of Schengen, from Dieppe, last October. No paperwork was required there (at that time). Just turned up at the ferry terminal, explained that I planned to return to the UK aboard my own vessel, and asked for an exit stamp in my passport. Hoping to book in there, on the same basis, this season…..
NB Bumped into a fellow Brit, on my return from the ferry terminal. He had asked about a pre avis form in the capitainerie. They had produced a hard copy form (not available on line) which, on completion, they scanned over to the ferry terminal. Time will tell if the form is required when booking in. My experience of stamping in at Cherbourg, last May, was that, although I filled in the pre Avis on line, when I went to the Police Aux Frontieres, to get my passport stamped, they asked me to fill in a paper version. Said they couldn’t access the account to which the on line forms were sent!
Happily Dieppe as form free on the way in as on the way out: Presented passport at the ferry terminal, this morning. Explained that I’d just arrived by sailing boat. Passport stamped. No paperwork required.

Last edited:

bobgarrett

Visit site