single handed to the Azores

Pye_End

Visit site
Absolutely, but ive got contingency plans for lots of things.
Steve

Just to clarify. Navtex is a different system to the one proposed where stations broadcast on side band radio and you can receive these and decode them on an HF radio. ?.
Steveeasy

You can receive both weatherfax and Navtex from the same set-up. However, it is so much easier to have a little box that runs continuously to receive 'stuff', and access it when you want (ie. Navtex - I don't know of a weatherfax 'box' that does similar) - hence my recommendation to do both if you go down this route.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
You can receive both weatherfax and Navtex from the same set-up. However, it is so much easier to have a little box that runs continuously to receive 'stuff', and access it when you want (ie. Navtex - I don't know of a weatherfax 'box' that does similar) - hence my recommendation to do both if you go down this route.

Furuno used to do one may still do but it was several thousand pounds which is why I went the old laptop rout plus I had SSB installed.

dom

Visit site
Some great advice above but don't forget -- especially if you are not used to singlehanding offshore -- it is common for a skipper to become tired when it's rough and perhaps even a little overwhelmed. A recipe for mistakes.

So, should you choose the satphone route, it might be an idea to consider engaging a professional shore-based weather router. This may just be just a mate who can have a good Google around each day using fast broadband, or it may be a professional weather router.

I've not used this chap but hear good things about him:
Rowell Yachting Services

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I don't know of a weatherfax 'box' that does similar) -
This one does it all: it can be configured to receive whatever one wants at specific times of the day (weatherfax from DWD, Northwood, Boston, New orleans, etc; RTTY from DWD, or navtex -but not choose the station). It automatically receives and saves the data, which can be accessed via a pc whenever one wants. Really not cheap though :(
WIBE

Pye_End

Visit site
Furuno used to do one may still do but it was several thousand pounds which is why I went the old laptop rout plus I had SSB installed.
Ah. What we want is for NASA to do one similar to the NAVTEX for £150. There must be others who try and make this sort of thing for reasonable money.
There is the Morer kit - WIBE Rather more than NASA, and no idea what it is like. Must get to a £ point where satellite phone hire is the cheapest option....

Pye_End

Visit site
This one does it all: it can be configured to receive whatever one wants at specific times of the day (weatherfax from DWD, Northwood, Boston, New orleans, etc; RTTY from DWD, or navtex -but not choose the station). It automatically receives and saves the data, which can be accessed via a pc whenever one wants. Really not cheap though :(
WIBE
I was looking that up as you posted! Have looked at them before, but as you say, not a cheap option.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I personally would not make that passage with Navtex alone; the Azores station being more time down than broadcasting, one would be without any weather info during all the final few days before arrival, by memory I received Coruna navtex a couple of hundred miles from the Iberian peninsula only. Also, it's usually 24h with 48h outlook (except Niton "Extended Outlook"), rather meager once beyond a few hundred miles.

steveeasy

Visit site
Now th
Some great advice above but don't forget -- especially if you are not used to singlehanding offshore -- it is common for a skipper to become tired when it's rough and perhaps even a little overwhelmed. A recipe for mistakes.

So, should you choose the satphone route, it might be an idea to consider engaging a professional shore-based weather router. This may just be just a mate who can have a good Google around each day using fast broadband, or it may be a professional weather router.

I've not used this chap but hear good things about him:
Rowell Yachting Services
[/QUOTE
I don't think there is any doubt I'll get tired. That's a certainty . The weathfax does sound a very good option.
Steveeasy

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Yes I not sure about working with a phone but any laptop with a phono input works and not just macs I used to use an old steam driven windows lap top. And yes you could start to use it now even at home to get familiar with it.
A tiny bit of wiring inside the Target and you can have a jack out for the laptop in. It saves on listening to white noise for minutes at a time. I found this so easy. I turned everything on a few minutes before the broadcast time. The signal started the receiving software (Seatty? ) and it produced a very good quality weatherfax on screen in minutes. Helped my routing enormously. Actually it meant I took an almost straight line after the first two days! My laptop is steam driven on Windows XP. It still works fine but I DO NOT connect to any networks!

CPD

Visit site
Hi Steveasy, I did the Jester Azores Challenge in 2008. In a fleet of over 42 starters I think it was, I believe I was one of only two that carried satellite equipment. I didn't use it for weather info at all, not once. The Jester ethos was, and still is, be prepared for anything. In reality, Jester boats are too slow to avoid weather systems, so concentrate on making absolutely sure that both you and the boat are completely ready. The most powerful analogy ever shared with me was that of a cork in the biggest sea you can imagine. A good cork will always float. Have a great trip :).

I should perhaps add that I have recently bought an Iridium Go in preparation for the RWYC RB&I next year .................... in a bigger boat :).

steveeasy

Visit site
Hi Steveasy, I did the Jester Azores Challenge in 2008. In a fleet of over 42 starters I think it was, I believe I was one of only two that carried satellite equipment. I didn't use it for weather info at all, not once. The Jester ethos was, and still is, be prepared for anything. In reality, Jester boats are too slow to avoid weather systems, so concentrate on making absolutely sure that both you and the boat are completely ready. The most powerful analogy ever shared with me was that of a cork in the biggest sea you can imagine. A good cork will always float. Have a great trip :).

I should perhaps add that I have recently bought an Iridium Go in preparation for the RWYC RB&I next year .................... in a bigger boat :).
Hi,
The boat im going in went with you then , Malcolm Collins, on Helix. From the Youtube films posted, the gods where with you all the way. Of course I want to get there, but id like to get there as fast as I can.
Steveeasy

steveeasy

Visit site
Ok it seams for me I have 2 options. I can get an iridium go for £700, £30 per month for predict wind and a monthly contract for £100 for air time. I can cancel this after 1st month. still not simple, but im sure ill get the info I would like.

Or weatherfax. It seams i can get some charts. I quite like the idear of this, but will I be able to receive specific weather data ahead of me. Ive found a Nasa HF3w HF radio for 209 from Cactus marine. Details below This one it says includes the software to decode the information on to a pc.

What you think.??????????????

Steveeasy

Nasa HF3W HF Receiver with Weatherfax Software
The Nasa HF3W version of the receiver is as the standard Nasa Target HF3/P but with the addition of a weatherfax interface, together with cable to connect the receiver to a PC and weatherfax software on a virus checked disc.

Simply install the Windows based software, plug in the receiver output to your PC and receive weatherfax pictures from around the world. You can even store and print the maps out if you wish.

The large, clear liquid crystal display shows the precise frequency tuned to and there is no need for constant "correcting" with the tuning knob so often associated with SSB signals as the receiver if fully synthesised.

Nasa HF3W Technical Specifications
  • Signal level indicator
  • Fully synthesised
  • Frequency range - 30Khz - 30Mhz
  • Modes - USB/AM/LSB
  • Single side band - 3.8Khz wide
  • 10 memory channels
  • AM - 6Khz wide
  • Audio output - 2 watts
  • Power supply - 12 volts DC
  • Power consumption - 300mA
  • Dimensions - Width 180mm, Height 58mm, Depth 170mm

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Ok it seams for me I have 2 options. I can get an iridium go for £700, £30 per month for predict wind and a monthly contract for £100 for air time. I can cancel this after 1st month. still not simple, but im sure ill get the info I would like.

Or weatherfax. It seams i can get some charts. I quite like the idear of this, but will I be able to receive specific weather data ahead of me. Ive found a Nasa HF3w HF radio for 209 from Cactus marine. Details below This one it says includes the software to decode the information on to a pc.

What you think.??????????????

Steveeasy

Nasa HF3W HF Receiver with Weatherfax Software
The Nasa HF3W version of the receiver is as the standard Nasa Target HF3/P but with the addition of a weatherfax interface, together with cable to connect the receiver to a PC and weatherfax software on a virus checked disc.

Simply install the Windows based software, plug in the receiver output to your PC and receive weatherfax pictures from around the world. You can even store and print the maps out if you wish.

The large, clear liquid crystal display shows the precise frequency tuned to and there is no need for constant "correcting" with the tuning knob so often associated with SSB signals as the receiver if fully synthesised.

Nasa HF3W Technical Specifications
  • Signal level indicator
  • Fully synthesised
  • Frequency range - 30Khz - 30Mhz
  • Modes - USB/AM/LSB
  • Single side band - 3.8Khz wide
  • 10 memory channels
  • AM - 6Khz wide
  • Audio output - 2 watts
  • Power supply - 12 volts DC
  • Power consumption - 300mA
  • Dimensions - Width 180mm, Height 58mm, Depth 170mm
Add this too
Nasa HF Active Antenna with Cable (010.030)

Cactus Navigation & Communication
?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
For a one off at nearly a grand and basically a Biscay crossing plus the Iridium is over the top the HF receiver gives you all you need to produce your own route.

steveeasy

Visit site
I was going to recommend a Sony ICF-SW7600 as a cheaper and excellent alternative, but looking at ebay prices for second hand ones look very high - much more than original purchase price.

Some of the best decoding software I have used are apps on android, using purely the radio speaker, and the mic on the tablet. If you want to go down this route then I'll look up the app names. However, for NAVTEX I would really recommend the NASA BT-3 with the H Vector antenna. Really good reception, and the tablet/app based interface keeps things simple and power efficient.

I do not know how far you can pick up land based weatherfax images. It is very comforting and useful to get a picture of what is going on, and could easily knock days off the passage by knowing what weather there is around, or even making the difference between continuing or perhaps even turning back. Hovewever, plenty of boats do it with minimum information.
Hi Pye End,
I am going to try the weatherfax and I was going to order a Nasa Target hf3w around £200 with software to decode. I note now you suggested Nasa Target BT 3, whats different with this unit ?. is it for preset stations for Navtex, there are also Nasa Target HF3 p for £170. what would be your preference.

Thanks
steveeasy

Pye_End

Visit site
Not got target, I have this one: BT-3 Bluetooth Navtex receiver - Nasa Marine Instruments

So, the box drags in as many messages it can hear, and when you want to view the information you run an app which lists all meassages (up to a storage limit), or you can list by filter - eg. station ID, type of message etc. The NASA page gives a good indication of what you can expect from it. I like the ability to view the info on a tablet, and it means the 'box' can be mounted anywhere out of the way, making it easier to run cables and antenna.