single handed to the Azores

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
All you really need is a laptop or I suppose tablet a HF receiver and the free software to decode and an understanding how to use surface pressure charts. JM gave a link to one. It's cheap and reliable.

steveeasy

Visit site
Ok, ive looked in to the iridium go and predict wind. the wifi unit (if you can call it that) is $699. the predict wind forecast package is $.£100 per 3 months. which I believe includes the offshore app. the Airtime contract fee is $104 per month and includes 150 data minuets. not sure what a download would count for in terms of data mins.
I have not yet looked to see if I can by the Iridium go unit used. There must be units not being used and the hire cost is around 7.50 per day..
Thanks
steveeasy

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Ok, ive looked in to the iridium go and predict wind. the wifi unit (if you can call it that) is $699. the predict wind forecast package is $.£100 per 3 months. which I believe includes the offshore app. the Airtime contract fee is $104 per month and includes 150 data minuets. not sure what a download would count for in terms of data mins.
I have not yet looked to see if I can by the Iridium go unit used. There must be units not being used and the hire cost is around 7.50 per day..
Thanks
steveeasy

Steve look at a simple HF receiver you don't need anything too special

Nasa Target HF3/P Receiver (010.028)

You can probably find one SH and if you have a lap top or tablet that is all it's going to cost you.

steveeasy

Visit site
Steve look at a simple HF receiver you don't need anything too special

Nasa Target HF3/P Receiver (010.028)

You can probably find one SH and if you have a lap top or tablet that is all it's going to cost you.
Hi Fr J Hackett,
Ok this sounds really useful and I trust the same as J Morris suggested below.

I’m surprised no ones mentioned a cheap HF receiver and some software to download weather faxes. Free and readily available.
Here’s one guide (but Mac based) Receiving Weather Fax and Weather Satellite Images With Your Macintosh
Others available.

So id need an HF radio. a connection to iphone/android or pc and download fax charts forecasts from stations that send them at specific times. Ill have a read through the link. think it is for macintosh. this could be something I could start to use now and get adapt it to what I need. is it similar to how Navtex works.
Thanks
Steveeasy

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Hi Fr J Hackett,

I’m surprised no ones mentioned a cheap HF receiver and some software to download weather faxes. Free and readily available.
Here’s one guide (but Mac based) Receiving Weather Fax and Weather Satellite Images With Your Macintosh
Others available.

So id need an HF radio. a connection to iphone/android or pc and download fax charts forecasts from stations that send them at specific times. Ill have a read through the link. think it is for macintosh. this could be something I could start to use now and get adapt it to what I need. is it similar to how Navtex works.
Thanks
Steveeasy

Yes I not sure about working with a phone but any laptop with a phono input works and not just macs I used to use an old steam driven windows lap top. And yes you could start to use it now even at home to get familiar with it.

Pye_End

Visit site
Hi Fr J Hackett,

Others available.

Thanks
Steveeasy
I was going to recommend a Sony ICF-SW7600 as a cheaper and excellent alternative, but looking at ebay prices for second hand ones look very high - much more than original purchase price.

Some of the best decoding software I have used are apps on android, using purely the radio speaker, and the mic on the tablet. If you want to go down this route then I'll look up the app names. However, for NAVTEX I would really recommend the NASA BT-3 with the H Vector antenna. Really good reception, and the tablet/app based interface keeps things simple and power efficient.

I do not know how far you can pick up land based weatherfax images. It is very comforting and useful to get a picture of what is going on, and could easily knock days off the passage by knowing what weather there is around, or even making the difference between continuing or perhaps even turning back. Hovewever, plenty of boats do it with minimum information.

steveeasy

Visit site
You could loose your furling headsail, for a random example.?
Absolutely, but ive got contingency plans for lots of things.
Steve
I was going to recommend a Sony ICF-SW7600 as a cheaper and excellent alternative, but looking at ebay prices for second hand ones look very high - much more than original purchase price.

Some of the best decoding software I have used are apps on android, using purely the radio speaker, and the mic on the tablet. If you want to go down this route then I'll look up the app names. However, for NAVTEX I would really recommend the NASA BT-3 with the H Vector antenna. Really good reception, and the tablet/app based interface keeps things simple and power efficient.

I do not know how far you can pick up land based weatherfax images. It is very comforting and useful to get a picture of what is going on, and could easily knock days off the passage by knowing what weather there is around, or even making the difference between continuing or perhaps even turning back. Hovewever, plenty of boats do it with minimum information.
Just to clarify. Navtex is a different system to the one proposed where stations broadcast on side band radio and you can recieve these and decode them on an HF radio. ?.
Steveeasy

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Absolutely, but ive got contingency plans for lots of things.
Steve

Just to clarify. Navtex is a different system to the one proposed where stations broadcast on side band radio and you can recieve these and decode them on an HF radio. ?.
Steveeasy

Yes

Gadget257

Visit site
I think this is bollocks. Having a good idea of the expected track of a depression some 72 hours in advance of it arriving allows one to make sensible judgements about the best course to take; one absolutely can avoid 'what's coming'. Sticking just with Azores examples, in an AZAB outward leg we altered course to go N of a depression and got a fantastic F8 easterly (and so a fair wind) whereas many of our competitors carried on the rhumb line and got a SW10 in the face - we beat those - and on a passage from St Marten to Horta we had a fairly strong depression come past and used the grib files to decide the parallel to remain on for winds below F9 and when to gybe back NE. Both, imho, entirely seamanlike routing decisions.

Agree. You can change course , slow down or even heave to, to avoid a low.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Yes I not sure about working with a phone but any laptop with a phono input works and not just macs I used to use an old steam driven windows lap top. And yes you could start to use it now even at home to get familiar with it.
Android smartphones (& maybe some Apples?) have an earphone socket that allows for microphone input for handsfree calling. It is easy to get an adaptor that allows that to be used for audio input. Don't know about software aspect, though...

Other threads that may be of interest