Rydlyme flushing Kad44 help

jrudge

Visit site
I don’t know your engine but on the d12 the heat exchange has 2 anodes. Remove and screw in a barbed adapter. Simply have it circulating in the bottom and out the top. The heat exchanger is the main thing you are trying to clear

Mr Googler

Visit site
Thanks FARSCO

So as I understand it I need to mix it 50:50 5 litres of each to make about 10 litres in total

probably not enough. I guessed that the normal volume is 10l so in effect, if you just flushed with fresh first then added your 10l 50:50 mix, it will dilute to 25:75. I used 10 litres neat.

flush in reverse too. Any big bits will then come out hopefully. Definitely have heat exchanger end cap seals on standby...both mine leaked straight away after flushing!

Clean!?56D6BD92-9E53-43F9-9485-391584658B63.jpeg1328E87F-60C2-48DA-ABFC-7A8FEE0A1029.jpeg

nfluester

www.youtube.com
RKMARINE for rydlyme £46 for 5 litres by far the cheapest around.

Reducers off ebay but the ones listed at ASAP above look about the same.

So glad everyone found the video useful I am planning on doing a lot more on the channel and whilst I'm not a mechanic I like to understand the basics of how our engines works and how to maintain. ?

alt

Visit site
After taking my elbow off today for preventative maintenance (all good), i'm considering a raw water flush.

I presume there are still advantages to this, eventhough i'm on fresh water? (There's mention of limescale)

Is there an alternative to Rydlyme? I can have the boat taken out of the water (we have a trolley and tractor) so not concerned about marine life.

And what's this about the heat exchanger end caps leaking afterwards?! Is this common?!

nfluester

www.youtube.com
Ours's is a river boat though i believe it was on the sea at one point in its 20 year life, whilst we didn't have any issues with over heating we have only had the boat for just over a year and not knowing much about it's service history i wanted to do it as part of the general engine house keeping and to bring it up to a baseline where i can work from in the future.

i dont think ours were excessively blocked up but in the video you can clearly hear a difference in tone of the pump from the beginning to after 4 hours so there is obviously increased flow now.

there is stuff called barnacle buster which is meant to do the same job and essentially it's an acid so "people" have talked about diluting brick cleaner but i dont like the idea of that going round my heat exchanger, oil cooler and intercooler.

if you were to pull the boat out you could run a longer circuit with some muffs on outdrives (if you have outdrives and then let it run out the exhaust into a bucket thus cleaning more of the system but as stated im not an expert so not sure how beneficial this could be.

if you want to do the job really properly then take the coolers out and inspect them and then rod the individual pipes through but thats a bit more involved and im not ready for that level of dismantling on 2 engines.

touch wood our end caps are not leaking though we are only pootling up and down the Thames at 4 knots at the moment once they open teddington look we can go out past the Thames barrier, open the taps up and check properly

nfluester

www.youtube.com
Just ordered this for £15
Does it look ok for the job?
Seaflo 01 Series Bilge Pump 1100GPH Submersible Water Pump Yacht Seaflo 01 Series Bilge Pump 1100GPH Submersible Water Pump Yacht: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

that pump looks fine has a bigger outlet pipe and higher flow than the one i used but thats not a problem, you'll just need a short length of 1-1/8" pipeand you wont need a reducer as thats about the same size as the pipe on the elbow and strainer so you will probably need a piece of 28mm tube and some jubilee clips as coupler

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
that pump looks fine has a bigger outlet pipe and higher flow than the one i used but thats not a problem, you'll just need a short length of 1-1/8" pipeand you wont need a reducer as thats about the same size as the pipe on the elbow and strainer so you will probably need a piece of 28mm tube and some jubilee clips as coupler
Thanks
I was just about to order a couple of reducers so that’s handy and saves me a tenner.