Oughtred Tammie Norrie build

Rabs

Visit site
Hi everyone,
New to the forum but thought I'd share something I've been working on for a few weeks now. Feeling pretty proud of how it's turning out!
Very glad I spent the time to build a full jig rather than freehanding it over the moulds. Having it fully ribbanded made construction very easy as I made up a little jig for my router so bevelling the planks took about 2 minutes per plank.
IMG_20211229_213741.jpg IMG_20220214_211712.jpg
IMG_20220506_223058.jpg IMG_20220511_212926.jpg
PXL_20220515_171241807.jpg InkedPXL_20220515_171333934_LI.jpg

Now got to get to work on the fittings and order some more timber for the spars.

In other news - is there a market for selling construction moulds? It seems such a pity to rip it up now that I've finished with it but I don't have space to store it.

sarabande

Visit site
Big welcome to the forum Rabs. What a lovely workshop: you are about 500 times more organised than me ! We love boat construction threads, so if you have the time to start one in the PBO forum, it would be followed by lots of keen DIY people.

The only query I have about your plan to sell the mould is that of possible copyright

DownWest

Visit site
Wow, a very nice workshop! I built a Whilley Tern, but just had enough room to get round each end. With only four planks per side, I just used the moulds.
On selling, why not ask Iain? He is very receptive to questions. I expect as long as a new builder buys a set of plans, then using existing moulds would not be a problem.

Rabs

Visit site
Yes, I was planning to make it clear that the buyer would need to buy their own set of plans. The jig itself isn't really sufficient to build the boat anyway without the plans, it'll just save someone a bit of time and help them make a neat job of it.
Not come across the PBO forum. I went to Boat maintenance advice, sailing and motor boats, practical advice | PBO and clicked forum. It brought me here. Is there another forum out there?
Merrick, thanks for pointing me to the facebook group. I haven't logged into facebook for about 10 years now but I'll go and take a look!
I understand Iain only uses post. I'll have to see if my handwriting is still legible.

When I get home I'll take a couple of pictures of my secret electric motor I've built into the skeg for when I'm feeling too lazy to row.

Thanks everyone

DownWest

Visit site
Yes, I was planning to make it clear that the buyer would need to buy their own set of plans. The jig itself isn't really sufficient to build the boat anyway without the plans, it'll just save someone a bit of time and help them make a neat job of it.
Not come across the PBO forum. I went to Boat maintenance advice, sailing and motor boats, practical advice | PBO and clicked forum. It brought me here. Is there another forum out there?
Merrick, thanks for pointing me to the facebook group. I haven't logged into facebook for about 10 years now but I'll go and take a look!
I understand Iain only uses post. I'll have to see if my handwriting is still legible.

When I get home I'll take a couple of pictures of my secret electric motor I've built into the skeg for when I'm feeling too lazy to row.

Thanks everyone
Iain uses e-mail too now.

This is the YBW site, but if you go to top and select forums, the Practical Boat Owner one is the first on the list.
Devlin Boats shows a rudder mounted electric motor on a couple of his designs.

Rabs

Visit site
Hi everyone, a quick update about my build. I've been making slow but steady progress with the fit out:
IMG_20220619_215855.jpgPXL_20220718_204953912.jpg
I'm part way through building up the centreboard case and have run into a bit of a problem. The plans look like this:
PXL_20220720_203013460.jpg and PXL_20220720_203021662.jpg

Which, when you overlay them gives you this:
Untitled.png

Which doesn't fit at all. The plans call for a cap on top of the centreboard case so it definitely isn't supposed to stick out of the top . Fortunately I saw this before I got busy with the saw!

I'm uttely confused because loads of people have made this boat from these plans before and nobody else seems to have had this problem. Any ideas anyone on what I'm doing wrong?

Hacker

Visit site
The drawing of the centreboard (3rd one in your post) appears to show the caps finishing both fore and aft implying an open top.

DownWest

Visit site
Are the 'caps' thwarts, with an open top? The board in your drawings will swing in an arc well above the case and, I presume, the fwd top has some stops that limit the swing down by contacting the top of the case?

Last edited:

Rabs

Visit site
That's right, the bits fore and aft indicated on the plan with woodgrain shading are the thwarts. There is definitely a capping piece as well along the top of the case. What I may have overlooked is that the capping piece might, itself, have a slot in it for the board to peek through. I'll try reading some other builder's threads to see what they've done (should probably have done this first)

DownWest

Visit site
Again, if you trace the swing of the top point of the board around the pivot, it is well above the top of the case.

Reply from the UK builder, not on this site:

I don't have a login for YM.

If you can tell him, that the centerboard case is only capped aft, so that the centerboard is then held, in a just 'off vertical' position when its down when the board touches the cap. Its open mid to forward and the centerboard sticks out the top, as his overlay shows. I had an auto release camcleat to hold down the centerboard via fairlead on the top cap if I remember.

Picture of Tavy Wooden boats Tammie norrie build shows it...

http://www.tavywoodenboats.co.uk/wp-...ld-photo-6.jpg

I prefer to loft the centerboard case/ keelson intersection out and then make a pattern to check then the real piece. I had maybe a 1mm gap that's all, and that was caused by the bend in the keel/ keelson as the boat was proppped/ gravity and could be adjusted in situ to get a perfect fit. Sometimes taking more steps gets to the finish quicker. Seen plenty of builders finish with a leaky case joint. I used plenty of thickened epoxy and tape inside to help reduce clean up time. Some builders use a big squidge of Sikaflex instead, not tried it.

Tell him to sweat the fit and take the time to get it vertical (as far as possible). Dad bought a Gannet (built by a carpenter rather than a sailer) that leaked from the case and it was a bit of a job to locate the leak point.

Hope this helps.
DW

Last edited:

Rabs

Visit site
Amazing, thank you. That makes a lot more sense. I knew it had to be a 'me' problem! Right, time to get cutting!

DownWest

Visit site
Get 'The Sailmakers Apprentice' and make your own. I did and they set very well. Jeckels quoted a good price, but I spent about £110 on cloth and tape. Very satisfying.