Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?

Chris H

Visit site
We have a guy in cap ferrat with a portofino 53 that goes from port to Arno Plage ( 100m )
Most weekends and in the summer season, he’s not put fuel in his boat for 2 years……..I’ve filled 3 x 1200 litres this year !

Portofino

Visit site
Mirror Argentine the 1 st and the 2 had is the next bay W .
Both N side .

Took the lads there a few yrs ago ( my engine and annual service guys ) it was late May and they had a regatta on in Porquerolles you can just see it in pics 2,3, 4 .
Here the red arrow CDCEB1E1-F0AC-4A10-8F84-7C46BD7D704A.jpeg
The inn was full so we anchored where the red circle was .
Arrived about 4 pm after a noon lift in from Cannes .

” Tested the boat “ and it’s a reward for my two chums .

Beer time and scope out of the islands so we launch the tender with its mini Kota E outboard and iirc 60 ah wet battery.
The battery has those silly led lenses you suppose to look down it was green , but dug out of a cockpit locker from last season .
Off we toddled across where the red arrow is .
Well you kinda know where this is gonna end up ……one round turned into 3 then 6 then “ I,am starving “ then find a restaurant etc etc .more beers and wine etc etc .

Time to rtn to the boat after midnight after a gallon of beer + vino each .
No torch and the wind got up .
I knew the forecast and was not bothered as I know the sheltered bays and this is one mistral proof I have used it before .
Well the batt was finished before we arrived at that little bit of water , the red arrow , so we broke out the oars .
Wind pushing us back .
When we arrived at the red arrow the tide had dropped ( yes moon dependant there is about 1 ft fall ) and the tender grounded with with fatter blokes in than than the down wind leg in .
True Africa Queen style some one volunteered to get out and walk on the seabed towing the painter .
” you are doing a great job, you are 6 “ 4 for a reason this it “: I shouted from the tender :D .As he gradually got up to his neck .

When we got through that gap and the water was up to his neck there was less of a wind push back factor so we rowed back .

9issed as farts we arrived in the darkness at a boats bathing platform in the pitch black …..wrong boat !
Eventually we found Fiammetta 2 the mother ship .
One guy bailed out and just swam back fully clothed it was faster than he three of us in a 2.2 M tender .

Memories eh ?

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
134C2C24-B347-456E-9BB2-72BCCFFE0536.jpeg
There is a better bay on the S side see the arrow .
4F810728-373C-4D2A-984D-2032522D72C5.jpeg
There is a fancy hotel , Infact the “ Eden roc “ equivalent to Porquerolles just out of sight in those woods behind my boat .
You know EV pick up from the dock and salad vert €25 and a G + T €30 place .Starters from €30 and mains around €70/ 100 kinda joint .You can just see there track .
Thats the tender btw a Capelli 2,2 hard v bottom .I am on dog shore duty btw .

Bouba

Visit site
Well it’s been an up and down few days. We were offered a lovely spot in Le Lavandou for the winter which we accepted but they then contacted us and said we can’t have that place and offered us an inferior place which we declined. So we decided to take the boat out of the water for winter but only after next week which promises exceptional boating weather. But our port said if it’s not out tomorrow then they can’t guarantee a place on the hard or a cradle. So tomorrow she will be craned out! And it will be a driving winter for us?

Hooligan

Visit site
Well it’s been an up and down few days. We were offered a lovely spot in Le Lavandou for the winter which we accepted but they then contacted us and said we can’t have that place and offered us an inferior place which we declined. So we decided to take the boat out of the water for winter but only after next week which promises exceptional boating weather. But our port said if it’s not out tomorrow then they can’t guarantee a place on the hard or a cradle. So tomorrow she will be craned out! And it will be a driving winter for us?
What????? No more pictures??

Portofino

Visit site
You never went to Port Cros , shame it’s more beautiful and yes you can take dogs we have .
No shore power or water at the dock so you need a geny . You just use theses wooden jetty’s

Port Cros is the next middle island of the threesome .A292A505-5973-4971-B4CD-719526601DF2.jpeg
D4E45F3D-3CC9-43B6-B144-1F975B4B73BE.jpeg
Plenty of walks in the woods to vacant bays .
About 4 restaurants and a mini store for essentials.
There are buoys too to anchor on in the sheltered bay .
CAFC36D6-7961-4FBE-8E76-B1ECEFB7244B.jpeg
We are on a buoy ^^^ , Settlement and Castle turret on shore .

84D82988-1367-4BA5-8BD6-D53284538A4B.jpg

Bouba

Visit site
You never went to Port Cros , shame it’s more beautiful and yes you can take dogs we have .
No shore power or water at the dock so you need a geny . You just use theses wooden jetty’s

Port Cros is the next middle island of the threesome .View attachment 124491
View attachment 124492
Plenty of walks in the woods to vacant bays .
About 4 restaurants and a mini store for essentials.
There are buoys too to anchor on in the sheltered bay .
View attachment 124493
We are on a buoy ^^^ , Settlement and Castle turret on shore .

View attachment 124494
I’ve been in the bay, and the wife has been ashore with her walking club. But she has it in her mind that dogs can’t go out of the town limits. And she won’t go anywhere that doesn’t come with at least a 10 mile hike. As for leaving the dog with his sitter......?‍♂️?
But yes, it certainly looks beautiful and very tropical. And of course there is also Levant.....

Portofino

Visit site
I’ve been in the bay, and the wife has been ashore with her walking club. But she has it in her mind that dogs can’t go out of the town limits. And she won’t go anywhere that doesn’t come with at least a 10 mile hike. As for leaving the dog with his sitter......?‍♂️?
But yes, it certainly looks beautiful and very tropical. And of course there is also Levant.....
We have walked our dog all over it .It’s hilly .
Port Man for the SoF mob is a nice anchorage on the E side Uber mistral shelter too .Nothing there it’s wild anchoring .Test of boat systems , holding tank , geny , lights , air con , fridge power management, boat water capacity etc etc .and anchor as it 20 M and deeper Good test folks mental attitude. Scrabble time :D .

ED1DCEE8-E0F5-41AA-B10A-8E5E8AAF0507.jpeg
You can easily do a 10 miler btw .
Its hilly too ashore so feels very explorer like .

For the SoF mob spend a night in Port Man , then a few nights with civility in the Port Cros , then the bun fight summer madness of Porquerolles, which bouba s done to death pic wise .
There is water + power in Porquerolles , but the vistor jetty in my pic post # 1850 ^^^ shows zero facilities and that places get washed by the hoards of boat movement.
So again plan carefully in the season don’t assume a fully serviced jetty in the summer .
Bail option is across the bay to Miramar or head past cap Bennet to Bromes ( very nice to overnight ) or La Levandou .
See previous pics ^ .Fast planing boat always widens choices ;)

See why I am in Liguria now ………exploring new places again !
15 yrs traipsing Monaco - Marseilles .Done it to death .

Beauty of boats you can move them .

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
I pass the torch to you, please brighten up everyone’s winter with some beautiful photographs ?
Just to kill the time while waiting for markc contribution, I can throw in a drone view of one of my usual October anchorages.
I don't think it will be enough to brighten up everyone's winter, but maybe a couple of minutes... :)