Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?

Portofino

Visit site
It’s quite unnerving approaching from the sea those calangues , all you have is your plotter trace going 90 degrees into a cliff .
The odd yacht ahead just is there one min and disappeared the next as it slips behind the cliffs .

Once in your moor on a buoy and tie a stern line to a ring in the cliffs .Normal hrs there’s a guy with a rib to run the line ashore .
Outside hrs you launch your own tender and phaff .
When it gets dark it gets real dark as zero lights anywhere.
Its a bit of a trek once tendered ashore to find any life ie bars restaurants etc .

Noise reverberates twixt cliff walls and the water , so with your geny on ( even if you thought it was ok ish noise wise ) it makes you an antisocial leper amongst the none geny camping boaters , and there are a lot of theses types in those Calangues .

That little islet in the last pic is a popular dive spot deep and the buoys are for dive boats .It’s always rolly .
Around the corner , the headland to the right of the island is a huge bay with Marseille in .
Plage Paradisio is a lovely marina + beach + back to civilisation. :) .
Those yachts in the 4 rh pic are all old scrappers most covered in seagul 8hit .There’s no shore power or water and the jetty was rickety.It’s probably dirt cheap .Bit of a dump imho .

Can’t imagine anyone going back a 2 nd time , well not in a decent mo bo anyhow .

Cassis is a nice stop over and you can take a glass bottom boat trip into the Calangues .
I first arrived not by car nor boat but by jet ski in 1992 .
It was the first stop / refuel in the 92 Raid Bleu ……a jet ski race I did from Marseille to St Tropez, stopping at Cassis , La Ciota , Toulon , Bandol , Cavalaire then St Trop .

Long day in the Med

Meagain

Visit site
Time for dinner
Bouba, this is beautiful where are you (is this) in the SofF please.? I ask as We are potentially exploring SofF options, I know around Cannes/Saint-Raphaël historically but was considering going more westerly but heard that the mistrals are more prominen.

Bouba

Visit site
Bouba, this is beautiful where are you (is this) in the SofF please.? I ask as We are potentially exploring SofF options, I know around Cannes/Saint-Raphaël historically but was considering going more westerly but heard that the mistrals are more prominen.
This is the port at the island of Porquerolle. A real jewel, a beautiful small town , lush forests and stunning beaches. It’s true that the further west you go the closer to the source of the Mistral you get. But the rade de Hyères is protected by the peninsula of Giens and, most of the time is calm.

Portofino

Visit site
^^^ Where the cat is on pic two is the visitors pontoon .They line you up in a row by the entrance.
Out of shot to the R is a 70;s concrete monstrosity of a modern marina .
Actually it does work in the season , the shops , restaurants, bars on the ground floor and flats above in the brutal cubist architecture .Its arranged around a inner sq basin .
How ever out of season it’s dead a ghost town with close up shops , weeds etc .Typical Fr summer only marina .

The first cap in the background of Boubas 2 nd pic ^^ is cap Negre , it’s black rock .A nice place to anchor .
Carla Bruni s family Villa is in there Sarkozy s official wife . :unsure:

If Bouba had turned to his R .

9342452C-BEDB-4C47-BCA9-9A9ACCB89D73.jpeg
7D56496F-7577-45AB-88DE-85FBF7D0D817.jpeg
Cap Bennant top LHS of pic a good place to mistral shelter and some nice beaches a few only accessed by sea .
The LHS island is port Cros the rhs island at the top of the pic is Porquerolles where Bouba only seems to have gone by boat judging by the pics thus far .:).

This is 60 miles from Cannes or 2 hrs .
We have day tripped here on hot days btw .As St Tropez is a bun fight in the season and this is another hr on E .
Sometimes we stay over if there is room and the forecast favourable.

How ever when a mistral blows through + a few days after it’s no fun in that rade between the islands and mainland even in a capable boat unless on a down wind leg back to Cannes in which case you basically surf back .

AndieMac

Visit site
AndieMac is correct, Bouba.
Though she's not so new (to us) anymore, since we just completed our 4th season on her, but here she is, anyway.
BTW, the video was actually made during a Sep rather than Oct anchorage.
In fact it's a bit busier... Albeit still desert by SoF standards! :)

Oh, and talking of modernity vs. tradition, aside from my new frozen snot home, there's a couple of other peculiar vessels in the video.
The larger one in the very first shot of the video, with a green hull, was built in 1893 (yep, not a typo).
For the other, I'm not sure about the exact year, but she's a Baglietto (no less) of the early 50s.
Both timber construction, obviously.

Excellent video P, loved it! Brings back great memories again, she is a fantastic boat, but I’m sure you already know that.

BTW, just for folks that may not understand the term “frozen snot”, it means fibre or glass reinforced plastic as opposed to timber boats :)

vas

Visit site
bit confused, what does 75 floors mean mr Bouba?
approx 75x18steps?

and how old is poor real Bouba? is he happy with all this walking about?

Bouba

Visit site
bit confused, what does 75 floors mean mr Bouba?
approx 75x18steps?

and how old is poor real Bouba? is he happy with all this walking about?
The dog was on fine form today. He’s nine, I think, and beginning to slow down. In fact, he slept in this morning and didn’t wake anyone up, so the morning walk didn’t start till ten.
On an iPhone there is a Health app, it monitors how many steps you walk plus the distance and converts all the up and downs into ‘floors’ for a convenient reference. 75 floors is a good bit of exercise ?
My wife is a very keen walker and she has worn out many a dog. I am the first husband she has completely worn out?
In fact, I am in training, next week I’m going for a heart checkup but under stress (probably on an exercise bike) so for the past month I’ve been slowly increasing my activity. I can do thirty minutes flat out on an exercise bike. But regardless of the results of the checkup, after it’s over I’m having a rest?

vas

Visit site
The dog was on fine form today. He’s nine, I think, and beginning to slow down. In fact, he slept in this morning and didn’t wake anyone up, so the morning walk didn’t start till ten.
On an iPhone there is a Health app, it monitors how many steps you walk plus the distance and converts all the up and downs into ‘floors’ for a convenient reference. 75 floors is a good bit of exercise ?
poor Bouba (the real one I mean...) OK, my google fit thingie doesn't do floors (I think at least, will have to check again!)

My wife is a very keen walker and she has worn out many a dog. I am the first husband she has completely worn out?
you mean the previous ones left early, or did she just poison them with salads?
:p

Bouba

Visit site
you mean the previous ones left early, or did she just poison them with salads?
:p
She has been trying to improve my diet for many a year?but I am a difficult patient. In fact I am her first husband, so I’m the one she makes all the mistakes on. Her next one is going to have a good life?

julians

Visit site
It took 20 months but we finally got to the boat that we share with PeteM last week. Boating in the Med is everything that we hoped. The Fairline Targa 34 is great fun and Pete (as we already know) is a legend.

The question now is whether we keep the UK boat…

you had poor timing with covid getting in the way - I think many others would have thrown their toys out of the pram, but you handled it well, hopefully it will be plain sailing from here on. Enjoy the new boat in the new location.