Inflatable Raft: Safe on Bristol Channel?

DayBoater

Visit site
Hi,

I own an Intex Excursion 5 inflatable raft, 12 foot by 5.5 foot with a Bison 68lb outboard electric motor. I'd like to take it to the channel, and while it would be fantastic to cross over to Portishead, I am happy to skirt the coast Newport side (where I live). I have a 150N life jacket and I'm a strong swimmer.

Do you think it's safe for me to take such a boat on the channel on normal days (not choppy or exceptionally windy, etc) ? If so, should I stick to the coast, or can I venture a crossing?

I appreciate your advice.

Brentwales

Visit site
People do it, if you do, have a portable VHF or mobile phone with you at all times. Channel currents can get really fast in places, swimming against it would be hopeless. Don't forget that some coastal parts have miles of thick deep mud when the tide goes out, never try to land on this mud, always aim for sand. Always tell someone your planned journey and expected time back.

RobWard

Visit site
Hi,

I own an Intex Excursion 5 inflatable raft, 12 foot by 5.5 foot with a Bison 68lb outboard electric motor. I'd like to take it to the channel, and while it would be fantastic to cross over to Portishead, I am happy to skirt the coast Newport side (where I live). I have a 150N life jacket and I'm a strong swimmer.

Do you think it's safe for me to take such a boat on the channel on normal days (not choppy or exceptionally windy, etc) ? If so, should I stick to the coast, or can I venture a crossing?

Really, no. You will become a statistic.

DayBoater

Visit site
Thank you both for the responses. That's exactly the advice I needed. Having never been in those waters I needed the benefit of experience. Alas, I'll stay away for now!

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
I known of one chap do that crossing in a 8ft hard tender (sailed a bigger boat as well) and although he's a very "carefree" I think it was a bit hairy and shook him up a bit and it was a pretty calm day.

Personally I wouldn't bother in a lightweight inflatable with an electric outboard, in a laser sailing dinghy (etc) and planning it right I wouldn't have any reservations.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
My blood runs cold at the thought. Unless the battery on the electric is good for an absolute minimum of 3 hour you will be helplessly drifting before you ever get anywhere, and you really need more like 10 hours for many down along then back up alongs. Electric outboards are good for tenders not voyages

Normal Bristol Channel chop is often 1m waves so just staying on the craft and not capsizing would be a challenge. I know liferafts are about the same size but they have a cover to hold you in if they capsize and one only gets in one if the alternative is of certain drowning.

The more sheltered waters of Milford Sound might be fun provided you plan it, but even then have marine handheld, waterproof mobile etc. At least in Milford you wont be swept straight out into the Atlantic if it all goes T up

ontheplane

Visit site
Normal Bristol Channel chop is often 1m waves so just staying on the craft and not capsizing would be a challenge. I know liferafts are about the same size but they have a cover to hold you in if they capsize and one only gets in one if the alternative is of certain drowning.

Also liferafts are designed to stay in one place, not move about too much, and have "buckets" which fill with water and "glue" you to the surface - a capsize in anything other than breaking waves would be highly unlikely.... Whereas a small dinghy is designed to skim about the surface, is unstable and I would only use one in an abandon ship scenario if the main vessel was goin' down!

peterhull

Visit site
Hi,

I would say it definitely is not safe. As has been suggested and electric motor has limited battery life and conditions quickly change. My advice dont do it.
Ok behind the barrage but not the the fast tides and shallow waters of the Bristol Channel.

Adios

Visit site
I just googled the model of boat :ROFLMAO:. The question gives the answer. If you need to ask if that's suitable for crossing the Bristol Channel you don't have enough knowledge to safely attempt it in any boat just yet. Build up to it gradually.
61gkcwBqTnL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

ontheplane

Visit site
Jees - I don't think I'd take that on a canal never mind the Bristol Channel!!!!

That is a toy not a boat designed for passages (I am not being rude - I just mean that is for paddling on a pond .or a river you can stand up in ......)

If you put that in the Severn estuary anywhere near Portishead, you would qualify pretty quickly for a Darwin Award.

At full flow it's the most Tidal river in the world I believe - it has whirlpools, 7 or 8 knot currents, waves and is VERY deep with mud you'd get stuck in if it isn't deep.

I'd want a 20' plus boat with a proper engine and proper range, VHF, and possibly an EPIRB to navigate there......

Gwylan

Visit site
Which bit of "No" will you have difficulty understanding?
I'd qualify the advice with, never, not at all and out of your mind.

But then again it might be a wind up.

38mess

Visit site
The good thing about the UK is that anyone can take any craft out to sea without a bit of knowledge or ability, thankful commonsense normally prevails.

This has to be a wind up, and unfortunately a few have swallowed the hook.

steve350

Visit site
Hi,

I've used an Avon Redshank from Beachley to Lydney with a 3.5hp outboard on a neap tide. Upstream with the flood and return on the ebb. Took a second backup motor, VHF etc. I would not use a planing inflatable in those waters due to the debris in the river. NB, the Avon Redshank is the boat used in the Nile expeditions, not a "toy" boat. The Severn estuary can be a dangerous place for those unfamiliar with it's ever changing moods.

Last edited:

Pigpen

Visit site
Hi,

Hi Dayboater
Just in case you have been completely put-off by the other replies - Cardiff Bay has a municipal (public) slip
and two yacht clubs with slips. You should be able to get afloat and "test the water" somehow. Wherever you go
on the bay there will be people who will give you a hand (and a few who will not.) Ignor the sniggers from a few.
Even if its a 'no-go' with your present Deflable you might find other ways of enjoying yourself on the water.

Doug Pingel Jekeeda2 Cardiff Bay YC