Getting to Ostende ( not in own boat )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habebty

Visit site
All being well, I am hoping to take Habebty to Ostende in May. But Mrs H doesn't do out of sight of land, what is the best rail sea route to Ostende so she can meet me there? i.e. as a foot passenger from say Arrich or Dover?

Thanks

MoodySabre

Visit site
Mrs Moody is the same. A couple of years ago when we were going to Holland via Ostend I sailed over with somebody else's wife and her husband brought Sheila over by car and took his wife back home. I paid the ferry from Ramsgate to Ostend and back and it was loads more than the Dover crossing and the drive from Calais is fairly short. I was trying to make it simple because not only had she not sailed offshore but he had never driven on the continent!

There were no foot passengers allowed on the H'wich - Ostend ferry.

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
If you go down to S Foreland and cross towards Calais,then come up E of the Sandettie,you can take her with you! (in ok viz) or have I missed the point?

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Tried blinkers?;)

Try tranquillisers as well !!!!

You need...

Uk2M-jN1AkCBN6zBsmP5Lg2.jpg

bluerm166

Visit site
joining vessel in ostende

Agree entirely with comments about Transeuropa.Parts of interior would make an immediate set for a Poirot film.I think same staff marshalled the car,produced toast with a single faint seared line across the white surface,manned the 'cafeteria' and saw us off the boat.
Dover Dunkirk much better but you need a vehicle.
Get an obliging/doting ? offspring to make the drive.Doable in a day.DFDS day return cheap.

Last edited:

philiphurst

Visit site
DFDS ferry takes bicyclists on Dover/Dunkirk.
Folding bike from Harwich possible ?

Dunkirk and then a taxi to the start of the tram line? It runs all the way along the coast into Oostende. To check where it starts, go into Google Earth/Layers/Other, enable railways under Transportation, wait a while and the line appears.

PS: I've just had another look and the 'line' is incomplete. The tram starts/terminates at de Panne. Looks like appx 20 miles from Calais

Last edited:

philiphurst

Visit site
Agree entirely with comments about Transeuropa.Parts of interior would make an immediate set for a Poirot film.I think same staff marshalled the car,produced toast with a single faint seared line across the white surface,manned the 'cafeteria' and saw us off the boat.
Dover Dunkirk much better but you need a vehicle.
Get an obliging/doting ? offspring to make the drive.Doable in a day.DFDS day return cheap.

That's pretty-much as it was described to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.