Effect upon stability of adding weight at boom height

Laminar Flow

Visit site
Are you suggesting that if it rolled the boat, it would catch under a fixed binimi, & drag it down or round further?

So you'd want it sacrificial?

How to all those little Colvic work boats work?
At that point I would imagine it would be quite irrelevant whether something is deemed sacrificial or not. You are more than likely to find it all gone when you return to a more upright position.

Quote: "How do all those little Colvic work boats work?"

I presume they avoid conditions with breaking seas that exceed their parametres for survival.

Moodysailor

Visit site
With all due respect and admiration for your boat, displacement does not necessarily equate to RM or license to add stuff at will. The Robert Clark, I mentioned earlier, was built in steel and reportedly displaced some 16 t; she sailed at 50 degr. heel at the drop of a hat and rolled through 100 degr. going down hill.

On the up-side, it is really tricky to add an arch on a ketch, or davits, or vane steering for that matter - don't ask me how I know.

Appreciated, and I get your comment regarding difficulty adding the arch - we haven't done so yet for the many reasons I'm sure you well know. But I will say we are very confident in our stability being a Laurent Giles design - but I have no intention of challenging the AVS any time soon ;)