Dummies Guide to Seagulls

electrosys

Boston - gateway to the North Sea (and bugger all
Visit site
Not quite correct. There were (for most of production) two powerheads and 3 gearboxes.

So, the only choice in prop was between the fan type and the weedless as the two were interchangeable on the same model. There was minimal difference in performance.

Agreed - the exception to the above being the one I use (typical, or what ?) - the giant 13" four-bladed cloverleaf prop, which really gives an outstanding grip on the water. The sort of prop which wouldn't look out of place on the backside of a 20HP inboard donk.

Incidentally, some time ago I made a rough attempt at comparing the five-bladed 11" Hydrofan prop with the 13" Cloverleaf prop (which are both mated to a 4:1 gearbox): the Hydrofan prop has a total blade area of approx. 38 sq.in. whereas the 13" Cloverleaf has a total blade area of approx. 77 sq.in. - near enough twice as much.

Oh yes - the only modern outboard near equivalent on offer being the Yamaha FT8D. Their sales pitch being: "The FT8D Yamaha High Thrust 8hp four stroke is unique in its class. This excellent outboard has an almost 3:1 ratio gearbox, mated with a very large [298mm] diameter propeller. The result of all this is that this remarkable outboard engine produces the bollard pull thrust equivalent to the thrust produced by a typical 15hp engine ..."

The problem is indeed that to swing such a large prop, you need a big reduction gearbox, and I can't see outboard manufacturers offering 'swap' gearboxes as they do their props - so the only alternative is to fit a finer pitch prop, which means more water getting stirred-up for very little extra thrust.

I still claim that this particular model of Seagull has no modern equivalent, the nearest being the Yamaha FT8D, which is 8HP, and comes with a price tag of well over £2500. (My barge-pusher cost me thirty quid, and a round trip to Norfolk to collect - so say £40 total)

Last edited:
Q

quimby

So that might have happened from trying to start it in the mud, but not from pulling too great a load?

At the point at which the help came, it felt almost the compression had tripled - that is, it would still turn by the starter cord, but only with huge effort and no where near enough to start.

Spring? Mud caught in somewhere..?
--------------------------------

The Short shaft Seagull serves its purpose to move the 16ft Punt around the Pill Moorings as there is usually more than one person on board.
Spare spring fitted yesterday.
A long shaft would have been better suited on this occasion!

Nice to note you were still smiling when we started to strip your faulty outboard.:D

Seajet

Visit site
A Seagull is nothing like a Mini - the latter was rubbish from the very start.

Nothing wrong with Seagulls if you recognise what they are and treat them right.

Tranona,

off you go then, I'm sure you entrust the non - engineering skills of your most beloved to the whims of a Seagull engine !

I had a few 'experincies' thanks to a chums' Seagull outboard and a leaky clinker dinghy.

I would really love a UK made engine able to take on the Japanese, I was chatting anout this re. mototorbikes a couple of days ago - and please don't mention modern Triumphs', though after a lottery win I'd have a Trident in the meantime !

Last edited:

ffiill

Visit site
Thing about the Seagull is that because its simple there is not alot that can go wrong and if it does its usually easily fixable.
I have lived with my 40 featherweight since it was new in 1967 and I have never experienced any real problems despite occasional neglect.
The Villiers carb is easily removed and its needle valve jet easily cleaned if it gets blocked-try that on a modern small engine carb-some do not even dismantle.
Similarly the ignition unit with contacts-I have just tweaked mine after 10 years and likewise the plug.
If an electronic ignition unit fails thats it unless you carry in your pocket £40 or so replacement.

Last but not least the recoil start on a modern engine-ever tried fitting a new rope/rewinding the coil spring when on the water and personally I have done more damage to my hands with recoil starts misbehaving than the hand wound starting cord on the Seagull.
Finally I still recall image of sailor carrying his Seagull like mine in one hand-totally doable!

Reptile Smile

Visit site
--------------------------------

The Short shaft Seagull serves its purpose to move the 16ft Punt around the Pill Moorings as there is usually more than one person on board.
Spare spring fitted yesterday.
A long shaft would have been better suited on this occasion!

Nice to note you were still smiling when we started to strip your faulty outboard.:D

A ha! I suppose I should have worked it out from the sidecar, shouldn't I? Hello D - thanks for sorting the spring. I'll reimburse you for it, or (given my current intention to buy a Seagull) will order you a new replacement spring?

Well, what was not to smile about? I was in the most beautiful, welcoming and supportive club in the South of England, full from bbq, and having a good laugh about Slovenian engineering! (Did you see the comment earlier this thread regarding how Seagulls routinely last 60 years in Croatia, and questioning whether a Tomos would still be running in 2063? I didn't like to point out that mine wasn't in great shape in 2013... :D)

Q

quimby

Don`t worry about replacing it, I was only pulling your leg! Old Hugh was telling me all you need to do is unwind a bit of the remaining spring and heat it up, bend and quench it, and you are away again!
Difficult to do unless you have a small vice and gas cooker on board.:D

Did you try the "Classic" ale?.

electrosys

Visit site
Don't forget your ear defenders!:D
Of course one of the reasons most Seagulls are so bl##dy noisy is that they have holes in their exhaust tubes !

Luckily the 102 series have water-injected exhausts, and thus run somewhat quieter without those exhaust vent holes (which actually aren't necessary, despite what British Seagull has frequently said over the years).

The other BIG source of noise of course being the carb intake - haven't seen any really good solutions to fix that one - c'mon chaps - thinking caps on ...

C

Chrusty 1

Of course one of the reasons most Seagulls are so bl##dy noisy is that they have holes in their exhaust tubes !

Luckily the 102 series have water-injected exhausts, and thus run somewhat quieter without those exhaust vent holes (which actually aren't necessary, despite what British Seagull has frequently said over the years).

The other BIG source of noise of course being the carb intake - haven't seen any really good solutions to fix that one - c'mon chaps - thinking caps on ...

Run 'em under water, that should shut 'em up!:D

VicS

Visit site

One of the rubber storm cowls will reduce the noise from the air intake if its a Villiers carb

Last edited:

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk

But I like the sound - it is distinctive & instantly recognisable, SWMBO knows I am coming back. Why would I want to sound like all the other tenders & generators on a bank holiday?

SHUG

Visit site
Fascinating.
Having served my apprenticeship with Seagulls and ended up with a Yamaha Malta I know the vagaries of most outboards. If you want a Seagull ....go ahead but you have to embrace the problems of running vintage machinery.
So, drive down to the dock in your Austin 7, hitch up your plus fours and step aboard your clinker dinghy , fire up the Seagull and off you go!!!!

Last edited:

electrosys

Visit site
But I like the sound - it is distinctive & instantly recognisable, SWMBO knows I am coming back. Why would I want to sound like all the other tenders & generators on a bank holiday?
Quite right too ...

I also think Seagull owners should be exempt from the Colregs requirement to have a futher audible warning device (whistle, bell or gong) on board - as a Seagull outboard easily meets the audibility range requirement of 0.5 nm for vessels less than 20 metres.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Fascinating.
Having served my apprenticeship with Seagulls and ended up with a Yamaha Malta I know the vagaries of most outboards. If you want a Seagull ....go ahead but you have to embrace the problems of running vintage machinery.
So, drive down to the dock in your Austin 7, hitch up your plus fours and step aboard your clinker dinghy , fire up the Seagull and off you go!!!!
Agreed. Your should always be properly attired for sailing. Take a look at the illustrations of Joshua Slocum in 'sailing alone around the world'. (The fount of all knowledge) - don't forget your tie and waistcoat.

DanTribe

Visit site
Seagulls look pretty and are very much part of the traditional water side environment, but are very noisy, extremely messy and anti-social.

There is also an old type of engine named after them.:D

C

Chrusty 1

Agreed. Your should always be properly attired for sailing. Take a look at the illustrations of Joshua Slocum in 'sailing alone around the world'. (The fount of all knowledge) - don't forget your tie and waistcoat.

It's interesting how times and attitudes change isn't it? I can remember within my lifetime that certain "yachtsmen" wouldn't dream of presenting themselves aboard attired in their scruff.

I read Charles Stock's wee book a while ago, and he still carries many of those attitudes about "standards", and as for changing into pyjamas to go to kip in a tiny space like that, well what can you say?:)

I think that there are probably still many older folk who still cling on to these things, and I confess these old standards are not without a certain charm. Apart from Seagull outboards of course, they have about as much charm as a sack of rusty spanners!

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Ohh, but doncha just love a ferckle in a sack of rusty tools at a Boat Jumble (the old fashioned sort where people still sell off old stuff) just to see what's inside & whether there is anything you don't recognise? :D