Drying mooring in the channel

ash12

Visit site
Hi guys

Looking to buy a centaur in the new year and I’ve been looking at places to moor. I’ve been looking at CDYC and I was hopinto hear from anyone who knows it.
I’ve seen that access is through the field and I’ve seen on the website that this is in the summertime weekends only. How do you find this not being able to drive to the club itself? With my work I would usually require access in the weekdays, is that a problem for people? Working parties for me are no problem.

I’ve also been looking at NUSC which seems to have better access with the same sort of costs and setup.

Any views would be good to hear

TIA

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
You need to contact CDYC club. They are very friendly and will give you the facts on access. It is better than you think! Gone are the days of dodging cows (and their effluent) in the dark!
Do you know the channel? It is a bit daunting.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Plenty of good moorings, great shoreside facilities and a friendly Club at Barry.
I'll second that.
However, there is (relatively) gentle sailing;- no Shoots, no turbulent water, no rocks (well fewer), much shallower mud etc!
Perhaps you are looking for challenges and risks.
(Oh, Barry has a very handy couple of lifeboats as well!)

ash12

Visit site
You need to contact CDYC club. They are very friendly and will give you the facts on access. It is better than you think! Gone are the days of dodging cows (and their effluent) in the dark!
Do you know the channel? It is a bit daunting.
Hi Graham
That is one of the things I was wondering. Yes reasonably well. Used to cruise from the Severn through sharpness down to watchet and back on a family members boat. Looking to get back into the sailing side of it on my own boat.
Plenty of good moorings, great shoreside facilities and a friendly Club at Barry.
Too far from home really.
NUSC member here, happy to answer any questions if I can.
What is the access like there, on water and land?

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Access to the club from the road is great, 5 minutes from J24 M4. You have to pass through a powerstation (fobbed gates) which gives it that extra bit of security, the club have recently installed quite a bit of very high tech CCTV as well. You can drive right up to your boat on the hard. You have a fob to get in 24/7 however I think the powerstation security tend to get grumpy if you go through after 10pm till morning (however I don't think they will actually stop you, I've never tried). On the water, there's two pontoons you can temporary moor up to, to load work on the boat, access to most moorings 2 - 3 hours either side of HW depending.

They have a wise to launch boats, clubhouse, toilets/showers, a camping area, not to mention friendly and helpful members that'll always help. Getting into the river couldn't be easier, tidal streams aren't that bad this side as the Middle/Welsh grounds protect you. Getting to Cardiff couldn't be easier and near enough to dive in to if you decide you've gone out when you shouldn't have.

ash12

Visit site
Access to the club from the road is great, 5 minutes from J24 M4. You have to pass through a powerstation (fobbed gates) which gives it that extra bit of security, the club have recently installed quite a bit of very high tech CCTV as well. You can drive right up to your boat on the hard. You have a fob to get in 24/7 however I think the powerstation security tend to get grumpy if you go through after 10pm till morning (however I don't think they will actually stop you, I've never tried). On the water, there's two pontoons you can temporary moor up to, to load work on the boat, access to most moorings 2 - 3 hours either side of HW depending.

They have a wise to launch boats, clubhouse, toilets/showers, a camping area, not to mention friendly and helpful members that'll always help. Getting into the river couldn't be easier, tidal streams aren't that bad this side as the Middle/Welsh grounds protect you. Getting to Cardiff couldn't be easier and near enough to dive in to if you decide you've gone out when you shouldn't have.
Ah that sounds good. Especially with the lift facilities. What does it cost your for a year all up and what kind of extra costs for lift out onto the hard for say a month or so? I like the sound of the good security too.
do many members tend to do cruises in company like some clubs do? I know CBYC for example do a couple throughout the summer including some as far as the Scillies.
cheers

Snoopy463

Visit site
NUSC membership is £220 per year. There is a nominal joining fee. Membership includes a mooring and storage in the yard over the winter - you don't want to be on the water in the BC all year outside the fleshpots of Cardiff Bay. Lift in and out for a Centaur is £35 per lift, mast stepping varies but my last one was £25. As we are a members' club, there is a work element of 20 hours per year, bar duty, digging holes etc. If you don't perform all the duties there is a levy of £8 per hour.

Cruises in company are organised (although not when there is a global pandemic) and there are RYA shore based courses.

What's not to like?

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Ah that sounds good. Especially with the lift facilities. What does it cost your for a year all up and what kind of extra costs for lift out onto the hard for say a month or so? I like the sound of the good security too.
do many members tend to do cruises in company like some clubs do? I know CBYC for example do a couple throughout the summer including some as far as the Scillies.
cheers

Don't hold me to it, best to get in touch but iirc.

Membership £110 a year
Boat Owner Suppliment £110
Lift in or out on a club day or with 2 or more boats is £35, on your own is £70
Tea 20p!

There's no charge if you're on the mooring or on the hard but they don't really want boats on the hard and not sailing so I think there's an additional "storage fee" per ft, per month after 2 years of not being on the water what it is I don't know though of the top of my head.

The only other thing to bare in mind is being a member run club they ask members to do 20 work hours a year which is normally a bar duty or two and cleaning the club/improvements. If you don't hit the 20 hours you pay roughly £8/9 per hour you haven't worked. So you could be hit for an additional £180 a year if you don't do them.

Moorings are maintained by the mooring owner, the first year you'll normally be given a temp mooring, then your own. You may have to dig new anchors in/put new lines on etc. If you're lucky you may get a decent mooring but be prepared to invest in your mooring when given one. You'll normally find a couple of people to help, you help me, I'll help you sort of thing.

Yes there's normally cruises through the year, normally held over long weekends but there's always people going places so best to chat to people and see where they're going and when and I'll be surprised if you didn't get an offer of tagging along.

Last edited:

38mess

Visit site
Hi Sean
I’ve looked at CYC but I don’t like how you have to “buy” the mooring
I think you are getting mixed up with a pontoon mooring, you ' buy' these but get your money back with interest when you leave. A trots mooring you pay for every year, same as other clubs.

ash12

Visit site
Where is home?
Home is a place called Studley, Warwickshire. Anywhere I choose will be a decent drive which I expect.
NUSC membership is £220 per year. There is a nominal joining fee. Membership includes a mooring and storage in the yard over the winter - you don't want to be on the water in the BC all year outside the fleshpots of Cardiff Bay. Lift in and out for a Centaur is £35 per lift, mast stepping varies but my last one was £25. As we are a members' club, there is a work element of 20 hours per year, bar duty, digging holes etc. If you don't perform all the duties there is a levy of £8 per hour.

Cruises in company are organised (although not when there is a global pandemic) and there are RYA shore based courses.

What's not to like?
Sounds good with nice facilities too.
Don't hold me to it, best to get in touch but iirc.

Membership £110 a year
Boat Owner Suppliment £110
Lift in or out on a club day or with 2 or more boats is £35, on your own is £70
Tea 20p!

There's no charge if you're on the mooring or on the hard but they don't really want boats on the hard and not sailing so I think there's an additional "storage fee" per ft, per month after 2 years of not being on the water what it is I don't know though of the top of my head.

The only other thing to bare in mind is being a member run club they ask members to do 20 work hours a year which is normally a bar duty or two and cleaning the club/improvements. If you don't hit the 20 hours you pay roughly £8/9 per hour you haven't worked. So you could be hit for an additional £180 a year if you don't do them.

Moorings are maintained by the mooring owner, the first year you'll normally be given a temp mooring, then your own. You may have to dig new anchors in/put new lines on etc. If you're lucky you may get a decent mooring but be prepared to invest in your mooring when given one. You'll normally find a couple of people to help, you help me, I'll help you sort of thing.

Yes there's normally cruises through the year, normally held over long weekends but there's always people going places so best to chat to people and see where they're going and when and I'll be surprised if you didn't get an offer of tagging along.
Thank you
I think you are getting mixed up with a pontoon mooring, you ' buy' these but get your money back with interest when you leave. A trots mooring you pay for every year, same as other clubs.
Ah I didn’t realise this. Just looked at the website again and I must’ve missed that detail. CYC obviously has the massive benefit of having the bay right there and the pretty much 24 hr sea access.
what is the club like activity wise? Much of a waiting list for a trot?

38mess

Visit site
Home is a place called Studley, Warwickshire. Anywhere I choose will be a decent drive which I expect.

Sounds good with nice facilities too.

Thank you

Ah I didn’t realise this. Just looked at the website again and I must’ve missed that detail. CYC obviously has the massive benefit of having the bay right there and the pretty much 24 hr sea access.
what is the club like activity wise? Much of a waiting list for a trot?
I don't think there is a waiting list. I was a member year's ago and there was always something going on down there. Very friendly club, why not give them a bell?

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Just a few points I'll make as someone that drives a similar sort of distance to get to the boat as you would.

It took me about 50 minutes to get to Cardiff Force 4 from NUSC the one time I needed to go and that wasn't particually bad traffic. You'll have to pass through the Brynglas Tunnels which are notorious for congestion so it could make the journey a pain.

I do like CYC it's a lovely club, they're very welcoming to other clubs in the area (they have a visitors area and let you stay for the night if you buy a couple of beers in the bar). If I was in the Cardiff City area I would probably join. I have a feeling if I were based in the bay I would rarely leave it, apart for planned journeys as such. Being away from it I feel I make the effort to go there for a short trip, rather than just locking out, a blast round the Holmes and back in.

Which leads me on to my last point. From the Outer Wrach getting through the lock and tied up can be the best part of an hour by the time you've hung about for the lock. If I'm going further down channel I'll tend to go into Barry to wait the tide, or anchor off Penarth if waiting for the tide to turn as by the time you've got in and tied up it's time to head back out again. So a short plast round the Holmes turns in to 2 hours of getting in and out of the channel.

Best thing I could say is arrange to visit both clubs, you'll soon find the one that "feels" right for you.

38mess

Visit site
Just a few points I'll make as someone that drives a similar sort of distance to get to the boat as you would.

It took me about 50 minutes to get to Cardiff Force 4 from NUSC the one time I needed to go and that wasn't particually bad traffic. You'll have to pass through the Brynglas Tunnels which are notorious for congestion so it could make the journey a pain.

I do like CYC it's a lovely club, they're very welcoming to other clubs in the area (they have a visitors area and let you stay for the night if you buy a couple of beers in the bar). If I was in the Cardiff City area I would probably join. I have a feeling if I were based in the bay I would rarely leave it, apart for planned journeys as such. Being away from it I feel I make the effort to go there for a short trip, rather than just locking out, a blast round the Holmes and back in.

Which leads me on to my last point. From the Outer Wrach getting through the lock and tied up can be the best part of an hour by the time you've hung about for the lock. If I'm going further down channel I'll tend to go into Barry to wait the tide, or anchor off Penarth if waiting for the tide to turn as by the time you've got in and tied up it's time to head back out again. So a short plast round the Holmes turns in to 2 hours of getting in and out of the channel.

Best thing I could say is arrange to visit both clubs, you'll soon find the one that "feels" right for you.
Make sure your trip doesn't coincide with a fishing comp, the hour lock-in could easily turn into 2 hours

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
Seeing you live in Studley I wonder why you are thinking of the Bristol Channel. Rather restricted cruising. Have you considered the East Coast.? More places to go. Weather in summer usually better. Moorings can be found, but more pricy than S.Wales. I live in Stourbridge and can usually make Ipswich in 3 hours. When I had the boat in Penarth for a couple of months on a deal I found it took me 2hr 15 mins if I did not get held up at the tunnel. I have kept my boat at Bristol and Saul in the winter so have sailed the Channel. Discovered the East Coast cruising area by accident 20 years ago when returning from a voyage to the Netherlands. still there!