Digital charts

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I bought a secondhand Panasonic Toughbook for $A295 with a 10 inch screen that can be read in daylight. (AND you can drop them from 2 meters!)

These laptops are meant for outdoor use and the military.

Panasonic Toughbook CF-19 rugged laptop Review: The ...
www.pcworld.idg.com.au › review › toughbook_cf-19_rugged_laptop

Rating: 3.5 - ‎Review by Elias Plastiras
Mar 12, 2012 - The Panasonic Toughbook CF-19 is a fully ruggedised tablet-convertible notebook that's water resistant, completely protected against dust ingress, and which will withstand drops from 180cm onto hard surfaces.

CF-19 Fully rugged - Panasonic Australia

Screenshot_2020-06-16 CF-19 Fully rugged - Panasonic Australia.png

Screenshot_2020-06-16 Panasonic TOUGHBOOK CF-19 MK5 i5 2 5GHz 6GB 320GB Tablet Laptop Windows ...png

Last edited:

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
This might give you another alternative to think about .....

I use a Samsung Tab A 10.1 SM-T585 (fixed) and a Samsung Tab S2 8.0 SM-T715 (portable) backed up with a Samsung S20 phone.

All work fine.

To mount the Tab A at the chart table I bought a cheap case, cut the front cover (flap) off, strengthened it with a sheet of plastic and screwed it over the hole left by the ancient plotter it replaced. The tablet then snaps in.

Charging is via a flying lead from some USB ports below.

Finished result ....

01.JPG

It is a good idea to get a SIM variant (not WiFi only) as this enables all the other features like up-to date weather, streaming music and films .... mine is connected by Bluetooth to the Audio system, and it will be expanded with a LCD TV so I can mirror the screen to the TV.

View attachment 89005 View attachment 89007 View attachment 89008 View attachment 89009

If you already have a Samsung DeX capable phone or Tablet ..... Galaxy S8/S8+, Note8, S9/S9+, Note9, S10e/S10/S10+, Note10/10+, S20/S20+/S20 Ultra, Galaxy Fold, Galaxy Tab S4, Tab S5e, Tab S6 or the Tab Active Pro .... you can make your Tab or Phone into a workstation using an HD TV as a monitor - great if you have a TV already on the boat.

Dex Link: The Beginner's Guide to Samsung DeX

I have a Baseus dock for my S20 Phone - this is a very cheap option for a big-screen plotter if you have a TV on the boat and a Samsung Dex phone/tab.

List of parts:

A 12v HD TV with HDMI in
USB or BT Keyboard/Mouse
USB power source (12v USB charger)
HDMI cable
Base station or USB C Hub, ( around £32.99 from Amazon ) .... USB C Dock

Navionics from a Samsung S20 phone used over DeX looks like this (Phone circled) using a Dell USB C hub with HDMI out to the TV and a USB mouse/keyboard .... (the two side screens are my PC)

DEX.JPG

Unplug the phone/tab and take it to the helm once the waypoints etc. are all planned with keyboard/mouse.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Or buy a 'smart' android tv in the first place and run your charting sw direct from the tv ;)

Definitely another option, I've found there are often compatibility problems with Google Play Store apps and android TVs - not sure about Navionics - haven't tried that particular app would be great to know which TVs can run Navionics - I've found the TV apps tend to be mostly targeted at TV use cases.

With the DEX solution you can run all your phone apps on the TV screen with a keyboard and mouse, it's a bit like turning your phone into a PC - which you can then un-dock, put in your pocket and use on the move too - same apps, same data, no syncing required and millions of apps. The only constraint with apps running in DEX mode is that some of them won't run full screen, like calculator for example.

I happened to have a DEX capable phone and a TV with HDMI - spare cables, keyboard, mouse were all kicking around gathering dust too ... so €30 for a dock was a no-brainer.

Refueler

Visit site
The improvement in TV display has revolutionised it ... not so long ago - I was part of a group looking into displaying Chart plotting on TV's ... with advent of flat screen LCD / LED Tv's - but the resolution was so bad - it was a non starter.

But now ... its a different ball game as tablets have shown the way and TV's are now UHD and displays are incredible.