Crossing the adriatic from Dubrovnik to Vieste(I)

BartW

www.amptec.be
Cross the adriatic from Dubrovnik to Vieste(hol.Pics)

Despite the beautiful reports from the two new boats from JFM and MYAG
Some forum mates are in a desperate need of boating posts me think

Here is the late report of our summer 2010 Croatia holiday

As usual we drive down from Belgium to Makarska, (1650km) and put the boat in the Adriatic in a small harbour in Krvavica.
From there, I drive the boat , and the other half drives the car along the coast road till Cavtat, south of Dubrovnic (another 180km)

these twin peninsula are Cavtat, and at the far right is Dubrovnic
i-QBtkCMg-L.jpg

First 2 weeks we’re in the holliday house in Cavtat with our 4 kids and two girl/boyfriends
This is the Cavtat village
i-m7b9CmG-L.jpg

Every morning I have my coffee here at Zino's
i-74Kg6bG-L.jpg

We visit Dubrovnik by boat, the one with the big wake is me.
i-9BftMSw-L.jpg

Here is a picture of swmbo in the old harbour , but more interesting is that you can see my boat anchored right in front of the wave braker outside the harbour ;-)
In the background is hotel Excelsior and Argentina, can advice both for a visit to Dubrovnic.
You might meet a celeb or a president in these hotels.
i-JWCqQWB-L.jpg

And at least a day or two the kids want to do water sports
i-WXgtWNv-L.jpg

lunch on the boat
i-DNsvSCW-L.jpg

The result of 10 years boating holiday in Croatia, our 4 kids on the water ski’s
i-J4qNwTn-L.jpg

Then visiting small villages like Mlini for ice cream
i-J3XFX6z-L.jpg

Or discovering inhabited islands and climbing rocks, that’s what they like the most
i-RKXCLBr-L.jpg

Here they discovered a lake on a island. A few day’s later we have been swimming under water from the sea side from the boat, and came out in this lake in that cave you can see in the pic, it was approx 5m deep and 15m long underwater swim. The kids are good swimmers !
i-HRS75sp-L.jpg

On a windy day we visited the countryside
i-Tnmtzpg-L.jpg

After two weeks the kids went back home so we were left alone, for one week, just the two of us.
plan was that if we have a time frame of 3 day’s good weather we will cruise to Italy.

After a few day’s bora, we were ready for our Adriatic crossing.
First leg was straight from Cavtat to Island Lastovo, (60nm) we could see the mountains from the coastline on our right hand side.

On the island Lastovo we had lunch and fuelstop The fuel station staff was very helpful, sitting on the bow, otherwise diesel foam was blocking the fuel tank air outlet.
i-3V5Wf92-L.jpg

The next leg (30nm) was towards a small island / rock , palagruza, in the middle of the Adriatic see, half way between Lastovo and Italy
i-sjK2Jp4-L.jpg

Many Thanks to MapisM who advised to take this route, And according his advice I have been snorkeling and swimming in the crystal clear water around Palagruza. We were surprised to see other boats, sunbathing or fishing, on the south west side of the rock
i-8kNfP5D-L.jpg

Then leave for the final leg (30nm) to Vieste Italy
i-jCXn6Vp-L.jpg

We stayed overnight in the harbour of Vieste, bought some wine and food in the small shops of the old town, and enjoyed a very good meal in a nice restaurant
i-FCTK6jH-L.jpg

Later that evening we discovered that Vieste is a very touristic place, many people do the Corso

The following morning the harbor was very busy with “marine grotte” visiting boats
Leaving the place
i-mQdkHr9-L.jpg

we left Vieste, and also visited some of these grottes. We cruised for while along the Italian coast heading North-West, and came along some tourists resorts
i-HcSdpzn-L.jpg

And some other strange creatures
i-ND8dTnc-L.jpg

To be continued in the next post

Last edited:

BartW

www.amptec.be
Then back to Croatia, but first visit the Italian archipelago Tremiti at app 20nm out offshore.

Tremiti was very busy the last week of july, day boat visitors , cruise ships and yachts
i-LXL5vTr-L.jpg

Here swmbo is sitting on the beach in a nice cove on one of the islands, turquoise water, and many tourists
i-CQJgdfR-L.jpg

And here she’s back on the boat
i-jv4kmBB-L.jpg

We didn’t want to stay too long on Tremiti as we wanted to be back on Lastovo for the night.
On our way towards Palagrusa, we came along an even smaller island, called Pianosa.
i-j2LLbZc-L.jpg

So the next overnight was on anker near Ubli on Lastovo
i-X6cvVjs-L.jpg

That evening, In stead of diner at the restaurant advised by MapisM, we had chosen for a private grill on our boat, with a nice desert ! and a skinny dive !

Here she takes her morning swim
i-TR7bFJ2-L.jpg

Now we leave Lastove and cruise along some nice beaches on island Mljet, towards one of our favourite spots on the Peninsula Peljesac .This place is called is Kobas it is on the sea canal towards Ston
i-bB2THQ4-L.jpg

It was a big surprise to meet here a fellow boating friend.
i-24WNxQp-L.jpg

Pero is a Croat living and working in Belgium, he was on his boat with the wife and sun, making a long trip coming from Korcula, and heading back to Cavtat to his brothers and cousins.
We had a nice diner all together in the local restaurant Nico, But as he’s on displacement speed, the next morning we left taking each our own route to the south.

That evening we had to be back in the Cilipi (Near Cavtat) airport to collect new guests coming from Belgium, to join us during the last week of our holiday. With Ben and Yvonne, We stayed again a few day’s in Dubrovnic area
And then left for another 5 day’s cruising trip,

First night was near Ston,

Second night was on the island Hvar, near Stari Grad. Very close to a cove visited by ReneJK from this forum (we didn’t know then, but we missed each other just a couple of day’s)
It was such a nice spot that we stayed here all day.
i-NBzqFF8-L.jpg

For dinner we remained on board, and mandatory night swim
i-mWTzLtW-L.jpg

Next stop was in our favourite cove on Hvar, very close to Hvar city
i-QhmXmTv-L.jpg

Following morning we cruise to the island Vis, First to Bisevo, bleu cave
i-HbkVB8P-L.jpg

And a few miles further to the green cave, where you can enter with a boat up to 40ft.

Following mooring place was in big cove on the peninsula Ciovo, very close to Trogir
i-CmMd7cm-L.jpg

This is the advantage of having a small boat, you can moore in the backyard right near the old town center of Trogir
i-ttKd5CB-L.jpg

The Next day we cruised along Split
i-VnFcvj8-L.jpg

Towards the island Brac, we had another encounter with Dolfins (4 times in 4 weeks)
i-4KbZdjN-L.jpg

Some shopping was done in Pucisca, the famous Brac white stone quarry village
i-QbZGvNW-L.jpg

and then to our next destination in Povlja.
Pictures of the famous restaurant Pipo have been posted on here before .

Swmbo made me do a U turn, to be heading west, so that she was able to make this picture.
i-jWs3dV7-L.jpg

A continental breackfast (on the island Brac !?) after an early morning swim, as today we had to lift out the boat, and departure by car, back to Belgium
i-NNTVQfg-L.jpg

This last picture was taken from a bridge, at a motorway fuel station, near Skradin.
From Skradin you can visit the Krka water falls, we were there with the boat a few years back
i-LGC3HbG-L.jpg

I hope these pictures can bring some warmth on a chilly winter night

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Fantastic stuff Bart, thanks very much for posting. I have saved all your Croatia posts and will use them for my next cruise there, in 2012 or late 2011 I hope. So far I have ony done Split--> Dubrovnic but you have covered much more of that coast.

Full respect to you for the miles you travel in the Karnic. I loved the head torches by the way, and the photo of your 4 children on skis was superb - that must have a big place in the family album?!

In one pic I noticed a 60mm dia hole in your foredeck? The sunseeker 37m in Cavtat - that was #1, The Snapper I think? And here in UK "continental breakfast" means nothing cookerd, just bread/croissants etc. Bacon and egg is "English breakfast" :)

Anyway thanks again for the pictures and the information on cruising Croatia

andy59

Visit site
Thanks Bart , fantastic photos . All of your travels are a great advert for the Karnic and trailboating . She will end up with more miles on her than the space shuttle if you keep up the travels :D

kcrane

Visit site
Great Pics

A good post and brings back memories of those harbours and bays. One of the photos is looking the opposite way from a photo we have on a table in our house, we must have stood in the same spot!

rwoofer

Visit site
Great stuff - tracked your whole route on Google maps as I was following your dialogue.

I've only ever done Croatia in a Raggie and it is amazing how much more ground you can cover in a small mobo. You trip makes we want to try it in a mobo now.

MYAG

Visit site
Fantastic, great pictures and very welcome during a dark and dreary December week. Thank you! Certainly on my list of places to visit over the next couple of years.

Kawasaki

Visit site
Yes good stuff again Bart, really nice report and piccies, thanks.
How is it for launching in the Area?
A friend of mine has a similar boat on Rhodes
Slipways there are hopelous to non existant!

alt

Visit site
Bart I love reading your reports and looking at your pictures.

You're what a boater is all about - using their boat, making memories and having an absolute ball! I like to think I use my boat a lot (300 hours a year) but then you come along with reports like this.

WOW!!

MapisM

Visit site
I hope these pictures can bring some warmth on a chilly winter night
They sure do, many thanks for posting!
Glad to understand that you found some of my suggestions useful.
Those pics bring back nice memories, too. The fuel dock in Ibli for instance, that ranks among one of the most tricky maneuvers I ever had to handle: all of a sudden, while refueling, a fresh bora began to blow, pushing the boat against the dock. By the time we finished, there were 25+ kts, and since you've been there I'm sure you'll imagine how interesting it was to bring a 17m boat with no thrusters out of that very narrow bay...
Did you have the opportunity to make also some snorkeling in Bisevo blue cave? That's the best swimming spot of the whole Adriatic imho, with very coloured rock walls enlightened by the sun, particularly in the morning.
I'm also amazed by the pull capability of your Karmic. I guess that the boy on the right did not make a mono ski deep water start, or did he?

BartW

www.amptec.be
I have saved all your Croatia posts and will use them for my next cruise there, in 2012 or late 2011 I hope. So far I have ony done Split--> Dubrovnic but you have covered much more of that coast.

this map covers most of the places mentioned in my posts

http://maps.google.be/maps/ms?hl=nl...069001832669270.000467e974e1f1111daaa&t=h&z=8

the photo of your 4 children on skis was superb - that must have a big place in the family album?!

yes we 're very fortunate that our children ( 16.....21 yo)still enjoy spending holliday with their parents (even if its only 10 day's)
great time together we nor them will ever forget :)

In one pic I noticed a 60mm dia hole in your foredeck?

the Brass cover screw (not sure of the corect name) from the lowrance winch is supposed to come out this hole, (the hole is in the chain locker door)
we had already 2 times a damaged brass screw (the divers putting too much force on it) so now this brass cover screw is replaced bij a simple steel nut
it is a little deeper in the hole, now we use an ordinary ring spanner to release and fix.

The sunseeker 37m in Cavtat - that was #1, The Snapper I think?

don't remember, I not alway's pay attention to the boats that come on and off ( unless it would be Sq78 ;) )

And here in UK "continental breakfast" means nothing cookerd, just bread/croissants etc. Bacon and egg is "English breakfast" :)

it isn't an english breackfast either, the sausages and beans are missing,
but I just thought of the fact that "continental " is far from being on a boat, anchored near an island :eek:

pls don't forget to use the horn when you're around there :)

BartW

www.amptec.be
The fuel dock in Ibli for instance, that ranks among one of the most tricky maneuvers I ever had to handle: all of a sudden, while refueling, a fresh bora began to blow, pushing the boat against the dock. By the time we finished, there were 25+ kts, and since you've been there I'm sure you'll imagine how interesting it was to bring a 17m boat with no thrusters out of that very narrow bay...

know exactly what you mean,
on the return trip, when we left our mooring in the morning, we also had a strong Bora when we arrived at that fuel station.
while we had to wait in a que, in the small bay, many boats (single engined, raggie's, ..) where suffering with the wind.
Trouble got even worse when a huge ferry came aproaching the qai on the portside of the fuel station :eek:
luckyly we managed OK with our twin engined boat.

STEVEDUNSTABLE

sites.google.com
"ABSOLUTLY BRILLIANT POST".....thanks a million..... that post alone sums up the whole point of playing about on boats for me........i dont know what your job is but you can certainly show "tourist information " how to do it properly !!!!!!.............again THANKS !!!!!