Bristol Channel Meet - Location(s)

LeytonC

Visit site
Thread to discuss Where we are going to have the meeting, after Pershillas thread on lundy we sort of have lundy as the location, but gludy said we could do with a second location just in case of weather problems (good idea!!)

LeytonC

Visit site
Milford is out for me, its way to far away, i only get a week off in may.

A Poll would be a good idea, will wait for a bit to see if anyone else had any good ideas...

fastjedi

Visit site
There's a few of us who have boats in "thin water" elsewhere ... but would be interested in joining you for a pint as part of the meet ..... bit difficult if you chose Lundy!

Coupe

Visit site
Jeez, wasn't expecting that.
From Bristol Channel...
Arklow, small marina, very friendly. Long river pontoon. Good selection of pubs/restaurants in town.
Kilmore, small marina, very friendly, small village, good pub/restaurant near.
What about Waterford? OK a little further but mooring is on a long pontoon right in the middle of the city.

graham

Visit site
Lundy would be a fantastic location for a meeting but I wonder if some would be put off with having to anchor and use dinghys ? Also very little facilities should anyone have any mechanical problems.

could I humbly suggest Swansea or Watchet as more central in the Channel and with pontoon berths for convenience?

I am definitely interested in attending and will follow the threads progress.

PCUK

Visit site
Boating isn't about convenience, it's about getting away from it all. Dinghys and isolation are the best part of boating. As to repairs there will be enough engineers in the flotilla to fix most things and as a last resort there will be someone to effect a tow.

steverow

Visit site
I would suggest Swansea, but that's a bit like a busmans holiday for us located there.
Watchet sounds fine, and is fairly nuetral/central for all. Cardiff would be another good choice..but are we able to stay overnight in the Bay yet without having to go into the Marina...or perhaps the yacht club would be OK.
I feel Lundy could be a problem re-anchoring off etc. It's not everyones cup of tea if it cuts up a bit rough.

Steve

graham

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Boating isn't about convenience, it's about getting away from it all. Dinghys and isolation are the best part of boating.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully agree with you.I love nothing more than anchoring somewhere isolated and soaking up the tranquility as the sunsets.That isnt normally what you find on a meeting or rally with several other boats .

I will do my best to attend wherever is decided on but still feel that somewhere more central and with pontoons is likely to have wider appeal