Boulters Restaurant

Portland Billy

Visit site
Went last year and squeezed into the moorings OK, but wasn't too happy with the depth. Does antone actually know how much water there is, both alongside and on the approach ? (normal conditions).

rosssavage

Visit site
Bxxger all!! Got stuck there last year.. The restaurant claim its fine for 1m min, but it's not. I think half the problem is the weir stream slows as it passes the moorings and swirls back under the pontoon, dumping suspended silt all around the area.

Latestarter1

Visit site
Used to be plenty of water there, however that was a while back....Early 1960's!

I was asked to be an extra in a Strongbow TV advert, brought my Merlin Rocket down from Bourne End with one of the old slipper hire launches. Then spent four days filming the advert, sailing around in circles behind a huge glass of Strongbow with very attactive dolly as crew, who must be at least 65 now.

Director wanted advert to end with river sparkling behind this glass of Stongbow, they opened up the mill sluice and asked the lock keeper if he could adjust the wier with the help of a case of Strongbow to increase the flow, which just flowed more water down the punt rollers, are they still there?

In the end stuffed the bow of the slipper 'Pal O Mine' into the corner of the pontoon and gave the Morris Vedette in the old girl the beans which made made the water sparkle just enough to make the director call it a wrap.

Was paid for my part, Ten Bob less Half a Crown for temporary membership of Equity, what rob dogs.

Yes there WAS plenty of water then.

Last edited:

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Aha a Merlin Rocket man, maybe you know my mate Phil Morrison, world champion back in the 70s and a designer of MRs.

pauldennis

www.boultersrestaurant.co.uk
Dear All,
The are around the pontoon was dredged to 1.5 metres but as another poster has already pointed out, without the constant flow of water through the culverts and the eddy from the lock there will have been some silting on top of that now.

We have had some of the big passenger boats on there recently and there is nothing nasty lurking beneath the surface but if you draw over 1.2 i would be gentle.

Also the best route in is to go past Boulters, turn in the weir stream and then approach head to on your starboard side.

Akers_like

Visit site
Also the best route in is to go past Boulters, turn in the weir stream and then approach head to on your starboard side.[/QUOTE]

We use Boulters regularly and I can confirm this is the best route in, as there is a shallow area circa 20ft into the weirstream from the pontoon.

It's also the best way out, reversing to port into the stream. Enjoy