yourboatpix.co.uk is closing

shmoo

Visit site
It is probably ten years since I posted on here. A lot has happened since then: I have been seriously ill and got more-of-less completely better; moved from the East Coast to the far west of Cornwall; and sold the boat.

I am the proprietor of yourboatpix.co.uk picture sharing website. It has run unattended for perhaps six or seven years because I forgot all about it. Looking at it now it is clear it is somewhat past it's sell by date and either needs to be brought into 21st century or given a dignified exit. I don't have the time or share of mind to do the update.

If anyone wants it I will transfer ownership at no cost, subject to terms that protect myself and protects the material on the site from misuse. It is written in what I now see is lamentably bad php and mysql. It is not small: there are 5300 pictures occupying 13 Gigabytes of space.

In the absence of any takers the site become read-only at Christmas (i.e. no new uploads) and I will back it up and close it at Easter 2020.

Thanks for all the support over the years.

Mark-1

Visit site
It is probably ten years since I posted on here. A lot has happened since then: I have been seriously ill and got more-of-less completely better; moved from the East Coast to the far west of Cornwall; and sold the boat.

I am the proprietor of yourboatpix.co.uk picture sharing website. It has run unattended for perhaps six or seven years because I forgot all about it. Looking at it now it is clear it is somewhat past it's sell by date and either needs to be brought into 21st century or given a dignified exit. I don't have the time or share of mind to do the update.

If anyone wants it I will transfer ownership at no cost, subject to terms that protect myself and protects the material on the site from misuse. It is written in what I now see is lamentably bad php and mysql. It is not small: there are 5300 pictures occupying 13 Gigabytes of space.

In the absence of any takers the site become read-only at Christmas (i.e. no new uploads) and I will back it up and close it at Easter 2020.

Thanks for setting up and running the site, Shmoo. I know a fair number of images got to the owners and pleased them greatly including a couple of people from YBW.

Fair winds.

Mark-1

Visit site
Run a hosting company so would be happy to take over the hosting and then get one of our designers to work on updating the code at some point.

It would be amazing if you could just host it even if nobody ever did any work on it at all. I'm sure people will google their boat name from time to time (including future owners) so the longer it's around the more people will find shots of their boat. So thanks!

shmoo

Visit site
Thanks for all kind words.

I have sent a PM to Mysteresailing to start a conversation. Notwithstanding the timetable I put out above, if there is a chance of someone taking it on I will keep it running in the meantime.

Extensions seem quite the thing at present (he ducks)

shmoo

Visit site
Hi Peter,

Happy to take it on and keep it running, I head off on a sailing on holiday on Tuesday for two week, if your ok to keep hold until October then i will have the time to do the transfer.

Matthew
Understood. All fine. In meantime I will draft a very brief draft agreement. PM me your email and have a wonderful break.

Mark-1

Visit site
Did anything happen about this? I just went to upload some pictures and the site seems to be down?

Whether it's gone or not thanks for taking the trouble to offer such a terrific resource, I know several people who have decent action pictures of their boat thanks to you, @shmoo .

sailorman

Visit site

The site was a fantastic Bassett I ysed to post pix regularly few yrs go.

Pleased you are on the mend. Life can get very tough. At times. My wonderful Jb. Adly ha a newcustodian. After20 years together oh how I miss sh down the Orwell nd trips to the pyefleetfor Saturday novernighting. I am fully focused on get back aflotif I can afford thefuel

sailorman

Visit site

Thanks for all the support over the years.tgnk you Peter for the oppotuibitws the site gave us all to obtain pix of our boats in action??

sailorman

Visit site

Thanks for all the support over the years.tgnk you Peter for the oppotuibitws the site gave us all to obtain pix of our boats in action?
Thanks a lot for taking this on - I can understand Shmoo's reasoning, but I'd be sorry to see it go.

Pete
agreed its a superb asset 4 sure and s real sham tto loose it

steveeasy

Visit site
Does that mean it’s online. I’ve some fab pics during RTIR of other peoples boats they would like to have. Great idea.
Steveeasy