Your learned opinions welcome!

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
but could find no reference to this type of product.

[/ QUOTE ] Possibly because no one on here has heard of it, its not available in the uk or its too expensive.

It looks as though it could be a very durable product, but at a price, if it is available where you are. Some nice colours too.

Personally I go for Internationals deck paint. If I wanted to save a few pennies and go to all the fiddle and did not mind using gloss I'd go for ordinary paint and sand, but IMHO that then needs a second thin coat over the sand which might then put the cost above deck paint if it was done with a good quality paint.

By the way use a light colour if you want to walk on it in bare feet in the sun. I went from a light grey to a darker shade. Mistake even in UK!

Visit site
Lol Vic.. yes, we have brownish treadmaster.. jeeeeeez.. the blisters are just healing... but it looks nice.. so I bought slip on shoes..

there is, therefore, an argument to have the sand and paint on the SHOES lol.. surely this would save money... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

jimboaw

Visit site
Previous deck job was two part paint "Awlgrip" done "profesionally" about 8 years ago. The Florida sun did a job on it and it is now so badly cracked and crazed that I am going to have to use mega amounts of stripper to remove it. Contemplated Treadmaster but beyond my budget. $119 a gallon seems pretty reasonable.

Visit site
Professionaly applied - ah, the words of so many business and fitters..

sounds lik they didnt know what they were doing in the first place. I would be tempted to sand it down and apply a coupla coats of dulux exterior gloss with sand.

fisherman

Visit site
Before I bought my boat 16 years ago the deck had been coated with liquid lino, and despite the rigours of commercial fishing some of it is still there, and it don't come off easily, even with an angle grinder. Now I'd like to get some more but they don't seem to make it. There are various epoxy two pack undustrial floor paints about, some of which can be used with grit thrown in, might be worth a try, and not expensive. Any ideas? Anyone know where to get liquid lino?

fisherman

Visit site
Ta.
Their reply:
People to try would be Addagrip on 01825 761333 or Polycote 01234 846400
Regards
Martin Roots
Resin Bonded Ltd

But no luck from them yet. I think it's addagrip who do the epoxy stuff.

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but could find no reference to this type of product.

[/ QUOTE ] Possibly because no one on here has heard of it, its not available in the uk or its too expensive.

It looks as though it could be a very durable product, but at a price, if it is available where you are. Some nice colours too.

Personally I go for Internationals deck paint. If I wanted to save a few pennies and go to all the fiddle and did not mind using gloss I'd go for ordinary paint and sand, but IMHO that then needs a second thin coat over the sand which might then put the cost above deck paint if it was done with a good quality paint.

By the way use a light colour if you want to walk on it in bare feet in the sun. I went from a light grey to a darker shade. Mistake even in UK!

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not overly happy with international Deck paint, well at least not the white, it marks really easily and then like mat paint is impossible to clean properly. I have also had problems with it flaking even after keying.

OTOH, I have some off white/grey for the moulded deck grip patches and that seems to have a more satin finish and thus cleaning should be easier. I have so far only painted a small test patch to check colour.

I have used tread-master type stuff on the benches in the cockpit. May I ask, is it normal to have a serious burning rubber type smell in summer and will it wear off after time? Last summer this only happened once or twice, due to being so rubbish!

fisherman

Visit site
On GRP clad decks, ie, ply with GRP on, not gelcoat finish, we usually paint with flo-coat and throw fine sand on it. It's as tough as concrete, not much more attractive, and you wouldn't want to slide across it on yer bum. It wears out the bottoms of the fish boxes.