VHF Connection confusion

Tintin282

Visit site
I’ve replaced my vhf aerial and all was going fine until I looked at the deck fitting. I will attach a photo, but I can’t figure it out. The central pin is so small a regular VHF male plug goes over it. It looks like a male fitting in the deck, but I can’t find a female fitting that would screw down on to it. The old plug went to the skip so I can’t reference it. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0471.jpeg
    IMG_0471.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Daverw

Visit site
Make sure you get a quality plug, the ones I use are water proof glanced and silver plated.
Go to a radio ham shop for good choice, will be cheaper than chandler

Boathook

Visit site
Having had a connector like that it was a constant problem.
Personally I would bin that connector and use a cable gland and make the connection below deck. Index marine ? make a selection of glands that will take a vhf aerial plug so it could go straight to the radio if the route is suitable.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I also had those deck glands on my current boat and it was a PITA - so did as Boathook says, used an Index Marine Deck gland and made the connection below deck behind the deck head lining.Never had a problem since.ùn

Tintin282

Visit site
Thanks all, the previous connector worked well and access below is not easy so I think I will get the best type N I can find of the right diameter. If that doesn’t work then I have to open the headlining…. Which may turn into something else altogether!

Daverw

Visit site
We’ve had no issues for 6 years and fitted just the same as yours just in front of mast step sealed well with self amalgamating tape, checked it last year and perfect.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Having had a connector like that it was a constant problem.
Personally I would bin that connector and use a cable gland and make the connection below deck. Index marine ? make a selection of glands that will take a vhf aerial plug so it could go straight to the radio if the route is suitable.
If they’re fitted properly N connectors are brilliant. They’ve even got water resistant properties which is more that SO239 and PL 239 have. (But I still use a waterproof boot and self amalgamating tape etc.).