your best piece of sailing advice

Gunfleet

Visit site
As a sort of New Year's gift to each other, tell us what's the best piece of sailing advice you've ever heard. Mine is the idea, beloved of Thames Estuary sailors, that there's a good side to go aground and a bad side to go aground. In other words if you think you might go aground, make sure it's to windward. Round here the only certainty is that you will go aground!

ccscott49

Visit site
When I left UK for the meddy, my brother gave me one piece of advice, "always keep a hands thickness of water between your keel and the bottom" I'll always remember that.

ecudc

Visit site
"Mind the boom" repeatedly shouted when learning to dinghy sail. At the end of the course I finally did get clocked on the final race day when they forgot to give us the best advise I would give which is to learn how to do a controlled gybe and the trying to gybe straight from a run if you don't know how to is NOT a good idea!. I had to sit on my capzised boat for 5 minutes until the tweetypies went away..still managed to win the race though as everyone else had capsized too.

pugwash

Visit site
The racket of haliards pinging against metal masts in the marina racks up the apparent wind force by at least two notches. Don't believe your ears. This leaves only one problem: how to convince the Mrs.

Gunfleet

Visit site
Actually, I'm going to add one of my own. Don't eat fried food. It's amazing how many seasick sailors have downed a fry up at the beginning of their trip. Porridge stays down!

jimi

Visit site
Re: There are two ends to a piece of rope

That I think is one of the best bits of advice! Particularly on reefing lines!

Johnjo

Visit site
Buying a sailing boat will keep you poor,
SWMBO has been doing that for years,so nothing new there then!!
mike

graham

Visit site
If you think you can afford to own a 30 foot boat buy a 25 foot one .

Just look at all the magnificent yachts tied up in marinas while the owners are busy out earning the money to keep them.