ybw book store delivery charge!

JohnR

Visit site
Parcelforce upped my parcel contract rate late last year from £2.10 to something like £5.40 and still they can't make money.

G

I like your head-banging graphic! nm

I like your head-banging graphic! nm

mharvey

Visit site
We are aware that postage prices are currently very high. Parcleforce have pushed through a huge increase, especially on European postage. Whilst we are keen to support a national service we are being forced to look elsewhere for more competitive rates.

In the short term I am sorry to say that the actual postage cost is being passed to the consumer. Any suggestions are warmly wlecomed.

Matt Harvey
ybw.com

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
Hi Matt

Well it wasn't a whinge or anything - I just can't see who's going to pay those prices when there are much cheaper alternatives. I think this is a shame as I'm a big fan of this site and it would be great for it to be a genuine "one-stop-shop" for all boat things.

Surely the whole idea of e-commerce is that savings are made on traditional costs such as staff, premises and distribution thus being able to finance postage.

Trouble is it's a bit of a cacth 22, companies need the funding (i.e. charge the customer) to get set up properly and build a customer base to be able to then do away with things like delivery charges and absorb the costs.

Amazon saw this, hence spending years without making a profit but building a strong brand and customer base. Interesting to see that they have now made their first profit - http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1775000/1775294.stm.

Why use Parcel Force anyway ? From a consumer point of view they are a complete nightmare. They only deliver during office hours when most people are out.

I recently ordered an echo sounder and log from NASA which came via Parcel Force - I called them to say I wouldn't be in and could they deliver it to a friend's office. Nope, they can't re-direct until the delivery "fails". "Well call the driver and tell him I'm not going to be in to save him a wasted trip round London and I'll pick it up from the depot" I said.

"Can't do that" they told me - no wonder their costs are so high then!!

Hmm, so as usual with Parcel Force I end up paying for delivery and then driving from Kingston to Woking to pick it up from the depot anyway !

Why can't you use Royal Mail ? - at least the postman (for now anyway) arrives before I leave in the morning.

Roger Holden
www.first-magnitude.co.uk