Yachtmaster book

Jeremy_W

Visit site
I have LP&O, bought long after the course. Having looked at Cunliffe I think LP&O is stronger on navigation (they both teach YM Theory regularly) but a bit cursory on most other matters. Cunliffe is adequate on nav, but excellent on the broader issue of being in command of a yacht (he's a Practical Examiner).

So, if you want a "pass the course" guide for Theory, make it LP&O.

The best book I know for collision regs [remember that paper is/was 80% pass mark and no resits] is "The Seaman's Guide To The Rule of the Road". Houghton for weather, obviously.

ENJOY

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
The Langley-Price & Ouvray is much better for doing the YM course as it's chapters reflect the syllabus taught.

The Cunliffe book is excellent but the title "Yachtmaster" I think means, "mastering a yacht" rather than "pass your YM exams".

I'd buy both, but use the Langley-Price & Ouvray one for the course, and the Cunliffe for becoming a generally better yachtsman.

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif Roger Holden /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.first-magnitude.co.uk>First Magnitude</A>

claymore

Visit site
Go for Broke

Buy both - agree with Jeremy so this comment isn't as daft as it seems - if you were educated at Giggleswick you would anyway.

regards
Claymore

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
If I was an Internet Consultant I could afford to buy both, meantime, sticking to the best Yorkshire tradition, looks like I need to buy one to pass the course and then "who the bloody 'eckers like needs a buke to tell em ow t sail?"

Thanks (Lancastrian, living in exile)

tcm

Visit site
Re: educated at giggleswick

Surely if you were educated at Giggleswick you'd walk into Settle wearing your uncles handed-down trampy walking boots, go to the library and copy them both down longhand? Then you'd hve a iced bun and a cup of tea at the Naked old man cafe, before walking home and counting twenty-four caravans on the A65.

G

I used TC for my practical. I thought it was excellent and the style of writing prvented it from being too dry.

Geoff

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
Sadly, these days Internet Consultants have to "work for food". In fact I'll probably have to eat my sailing books...

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif Roger Holden /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.first-magnitude.co.uk>First Magnitude</A>

claymore

Visit site
Re: educated at giggleswick

The naked man offended my sensibilities so it was always the wenhaven for double egg and chips. My Uncle had large feet as I recall and so I used to take two friends along with me hence the expression - "it'll take more than you to fill your uncles boots"
The longhand is almost correct - I became a devotee of Shorthand from an early age as the gloves fitted better but I don't remember ever seeing 24 caravans - many's the long hour that I hve sat by the well that ebbs and flows - it did nothing that I ever saw and counted the caravanserais ascending buck haw brow...happy days... but to the point - I've just looked back through my diaries and there it is 28th June 1965 - 'saw a record breaking 14 caravans today'

regards
Claymore

david_e

Re: Rounders my ........

In 1971 not a single team crossed our line, nor did we lose! Check with the Telegraph to confirm what a great team we were. Rossall, Stonyhurst, Sedbergh, Gigglywick, Cowley etc were shown the way....aaahhh the good old days, glorious memories:))

claymore

Visit site

Hmm
After my time by a short spell (67)
Did you used to play the Anti-Assassins? I was reading the Westmorland Gazette last week and Fran Cotton was at Sedbergh with all the NW team that beat the All Blacks at Workington for a 30 year reunion - Lancaster were always a strong side I seem to remember us being beaten by them more than once. My nephew went to University last year but prior to that he was a regular Ist XV player and toured Canada with them.
Seems to have given up now he's at Sheffield....once can only assume sex,drugs and rock and roll have been discovered

regards
Claymore

david_e

Can't remember whether I did or didn't play the Anti Assasins, name seems vaguely familiar though. Don't want to make you feel any older but should add that the '71 bit was the Colts (U16) year. Nick Preston was of that era and he went to score a try for England against France in the days when no one apart from the French scored tries!