Would this be ok on the East Coast

sailorman

Visit site
g) How pointless it is...sailing playing at F1

I honestly cannot see the point of racing those things for the America's Cup. The main tactic/skill involved is surely balancing the thing on its foils and not letting it do a spectacular crash dive. Racing the 12m class I can appreciate as even though it is telephone number money to prepare and race them, the tactical side still remains.
America Cups are generally won in a Court of Law

xyachtdave

Visit site
g) How pointless it is...sailing playing at F1

I honestly cannot see the point of racing those things for the America's Cup. The main tactic/skill involved is surely balancing the thing on its foils and not letting it do a spectacular crash dive. Racing the 12m class I can appreciate as even though it is telephone number money to prepare and race them, the tactical side still remains.

The main skill is probably getting the money together to fund it :-/

America Cups are generally won in a Court of Law

That's h) then Sailorman!

Aquaboy

Visit site
Well seeing as the winners of the A/C get to choose all the rules for the next series maybe a return to a conventional hull form isn't beyond the realms of possibility ........... doubt they would go with bilge keellers tho'

johnalison

Visit site
I'd rather see the Americas Cup return to J Boats. Unfortunately a bit more expensive to buy and maintain than a Centaur or an Anderson 22.
Beautiful though the Js were, they no longer represent 'today'. We have moved away from big yachts owned by wealthy men to a corporate/national enterprise and in my view, any large and modern craft would suffice. My preference would be for a design where manoeuvring skills and tactics play a dominant role.

Slowboat35

Visit site
Presumanbly the next development of this sort of silliness is to do away with the 'boat' altogether and suspend a crew compartment mid-air between a steerable semi-rigid fabric airfoil (aka a kite) and a steerable foil in the water (a seadog?)

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Yea well in 10 years time I suppose these curent America Cup craft wiil have been responsible for developing our Dinghy and Yacht classes as a way of development and evolution

Cripes I recall that in my eary days, the best craft were laid from heavy timber plankling, Gaff Rigged, had Long Keels, canvas sails, wire /rope rigging plus the Crew smoked from Clay Pipes ;)

Then came along Hot / Cold moulding build processes, along with the traditional Clincher builds and Man Made fibre sails;

These days down here in South West we have the single handed one sail dinghys sailing with the K2 and its fun, watching the K2 outrun all others as its sleek hull design plus weighted drop keel with fore and main sails, oh yes we mix the Starting Grade dinghys with the fastest solos that we have in the club, we usually know whos going to come first, unless something untoward happens, like for instance a K2 picking up drift wood small branches on its keel, ah well it happens.

So evolution is a certain must its just that there is also plenty of room for the 30s and 40s designs still