Would this be ok on the East Coast

sailorman

Visit site
2020-10-16T223821Z_1578232415_RC2YJJ9EIUQK_RTRMADP_3_SAILING-AMERICASCUP.jpg

johnalison

Visit site
Ideal. The flippers appear to be hinged, so draft wouldn't be a problem. If you modified them to go straight up you might even get through Ipswich lock. Harwich to Ramsgate in less than an hour, What's not to like, as the children say?

RivalRedwing

Visit site
a lovely crab pot catcher.... I wouldn't want to go inshore past the Naze or near the Deben and Ore entrances with it..

granted that water depth might be something that nullifies the issue

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
a lovely crab pot catcher.... I wouldn't want to go inshore past the Naze or near the Deben and Ore entrances with it..

granted that water depth might be something that nullifies the issue
You'd be fine so long as you stay on your stilts, or whatever they are called. Just fit cutters to the leading edges and you would slice through pot lines easily at that speed.

xyachtdave

Visit site
Somebody else's problem. It's like fretting about how hard it would be to park an F1 in Sainsbury's car park.

Yeah you’re right, no boot space and you can’t lock it...

I too am glad it’s someone else’s problem!

I’m a bit cold on racing these days, I don’t really see much of a link between this and pottering around East Coast mud hence my lack of interest.

I do appreciate some will want a poster of this on their wall and fair play to them!

Supine Being

Visit site
Yeah you’re right, no boot space and you can’t lock it...

I too am glad it’s someone else’s problem!

I’m a bit cold on racing these days, I don’t really see much of a link between this and pottering around East Coast mud hence my lack of interest.

I do appreciate some will want a poster of this on their wall and fair play to them!

I like the technology, the innovation, and the adventure of it all but, you're right, it doesn't equate into what we all do.

Nothing wrong with that, though.

Cobra

Visit site
g) How pointless it is...sailing playing at F1

I honestly cannot see the point of racing those things for the America's Cup. The main tactic/skill involved is surely balancing the thing on its foils and not letting it do a spectacular crash dive. Racing the 12m class I can appreciate as even though it is telephone number money to prepare and race them, the tactical side still remains.

johnalison

Visit site
It might be an idea to base the America’s cup on racing matched Centaurs
The thought had also occurred to me, though not necessarily with Centaurs. However, like F1, the Cup's status as a development class and its spectacle is part of its appeal, such as it is. I don't follow current racing, and now I don't think any Prime Minister would be able to finance an Admral's Cup boat, or such as Barnacle Bill that used to sail from Waldringfield. We sailed in company with her one summer, but I don't think we could keep up with any of the current boats!

Nevertheless, if jimi wants to put up a prize of half a billion quid for a Centaur Cup between nations, I'm all for it, providing the first series is in our waters.

Cobra

Visit site
It might be an idea to base the America’s cup on racing matched Centaurs
Now you are talking Jimi!
Maybe add a Le Mans type start at the RCYC and perhaps include a couple of special stages such as replacing saggy headlining or re-attaching the bilge keel that has just dropped off.