Wot About The Yotties.

Tranona

Visit site
Even though my boat is SSR, I paid my VAT in the Azores (on the way back from the Caribbean), so I assume that I won't need to move the boat out of the EU every so often. Is that right?

You are in the same position as I was with my old boat - VAT paid in Greece. Logically if there are any restrictions placed on UK VAT paid boats in the future, it will not apply to yours.

However, as I noted earlier, this has not even come on the agenda yet so there is no press driven speculation as to what will happen, although it is on the RYA and BMF agenda which presumably they are discussing with the appropriate people in government.

Logic, based on what happened in 1992 suggests a cut off date and then transition arrangements, but there is no precedent for leaving rather than joining.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
I having problems working out why and boat vat paid no matter where it was paid would have problem regarding VAT anywhere in the EU .
Think back guys , Croatia before becoming part of the EU was charging VAT and those boats are now classed as VAT paid .

Because UK will be outside the EU VAT area at some point in the withdrawal process and the current rules on movement of boats only applies to those where VAT was paid in the VAT area.

Logic suggests boats VAT paid prior to the cut off date will retain freedom of movement but boats bought in the UK after we leave the VAT area may not. However, as we have seen what is agreed may not necessarily follow logic.

Nothing odd about Croatia. Once it joined the EU and the VAT area boats that had paid VAT there became EU VAT paid, just as in any other succession country. The Accession rules were essentially the same as were applied to all countries signing up to the 1992 EU agreement.

GrahamM376

Visit site
Graham, Just to clarify your last sentence. The Portuguese are re-flagging to avoid Portuguese bureaucracy? Not much evidence at this end of the Algarve but as we both know, enforcement varies dramatically in different areas and is always on the change.

Chip, we know several Portuguese (not marina dwellers) with "foreign" registered boats, U.K., German, Belgian & Dutch flags, which allows them the freedom to sail wherever they please without police surveys and most are under the impression they don't have to meet equipment regulations - some I suspect will be disappointed in that respect.

macd

Visit site
Over the Christmas period we are going to sit down with a Spanish advisor who has been recommended by a CA HLR, I will report back.

Obviously this could be a wise move for anyone settling in Spain, regardless of Brexit. However, I fear that they will be as handicapped as the rest of us in confirming in detail how matters will be post-Brexit. Even the well-known firm of Junker, Tusk and Barnier would be at a loss.

If I were a betting man (which I suppose I am, since I'm in the process of moving to Italy), I'd wager on Tranona's view of the likely outcome so far as VAT and boats are concerned.

Tranona

Visit site
Speaking of Spain (which we are sort of) I was surprised they did not play their Gib card to force May into line, but guess that the Catalonia thing made that sensitive.

However it is still there to be used, probably in relation to the status of the large number of (non productive) Brits resident in Spain who might be ripe for a bit of exploitation - or am I being overly cynical?

nortada

Visit site
Chip, we know several Portuguese (not marina dwellers) with "foreign" registered boats, U.K., German, Belgian & Dutch flags, which allows them the freedom to sail wherever they please without police surveys and most are under the impression they don't have to meet equipment regulations - some I suspect will be disappointed in that respect.

Fear you are correct. Don't think the maritime police look at the flag when they decide to question a boat.

But to be fair, of late, it's all very quiet on that front.

Off to Ayamonte for Christmas. Hope you have a good one.

C

GrahamM376

Visit site
Speaking of Spain (which we are sort of) I was surprised they did not play their Gib card to force May into line, but guess that the Catalonia thing made that sensitive.

However it is still there to be used, probably in relation to the status of the large number of (non productive) Brits resident in Spain who might be ripe for a bit of exploitation - or am I being overly cynical?

They're hypocrites, no chance of them giving Ceuta and Melilla back to Morocco.

lindsay

Visit site
Perhaps the issue is whether you consider a "liveboard" basically as a potential resident (ie fiscal resident) of multiple countries (which seems to be the case on this thread) or, alternatively as a casual TOURIST.

The latter approach is simpler.Somewhat akin to someone who leaves, say, Dover, on a campervan to go off on an indefinite sabbatical, extended vacation or retirement for a few years with only vague objectives in view (ie Istanbul or bust)

Of course one will need to monitor the criteria set out by the EU of what is considered to be tourist and respect those criteria for a quiet life.

I cannot see post Brexit conditions resulting in Portugal, Spain, France, Italy and Greece making it difficult for tourists from the UK to spend their diminishing pounds in their beautiful, sunny and welcoming countries.

Are liveaboards outside the Mediterranean contemplating, say, a long slow voyage from Fiji to Tikopia, or from Trinidad to Venezuela, the canal and Polynesia concerned with whether they will be considered fiscal resident in the countries they pass through, and in which they may casually decide to spend several months for whatever reason?

As always I am open to correction.

Happy Christmas to All!

RupertW

Visit site
I having problems working out why and boat vat paid no matter where it was paid would have problem regarding VAT anywhere in the EU .
Think back guys , Croatia before becoming part of the EU was charging VAT and those boats are now classed as VAT paid .

Yes but we all had to get the boat surveyed for value, change to the Croatian flag and pass another survey to check all the equipment they require is on board for maximum RCD crewmembers then pay VAT at, I think 3% and get all the paperwork.

Then for many of us, deregister from Croatian flag back to our original flag.

Not too expensive but a lot of people a few quid out of the yotties.