Winterisation

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Should?? - boats sails very badly on land.

Honestly, in the five years we had our previous boat, she wintered ashore once (6 months). The rest of the time we sailed all year round.

Using boats all year round is by and large much better for them than laying them up. Most people I know who lay up every year seem to spend at least 4 WE getting the boat ready to be lifted out and then another 6 WE to fix everything that "broke" over winter. I'd rather be sailing.

Toryboy1

Visit site
I'd be interested in views on this. I was under the impression that it was a good idea for GRP boats to come out to "dry out". My 1980 GRP boat had some osmotic blistering after being afloat for ayear, which I patch repaired, and it hasn't returned, though i have taken the boast out every year since. the price structure in my marina means that there is a saving in leaving the boat in, and i do miss the odd winter sail- one memorable one on boxing day, anchored in the Pyefleet Creek...

tillip

Visit site
Don't think so but as we know there are plenty of ex-spurts on this forum that will soon put us right if needed. We sail ours all year and have a lift out for 2~3 weeks in the summer, while we are away on holiday. Antifoul it before we go and have her back in ready for another 11 months. Some will say that as the temperature of the sea doesn't fluctuate greatly, that it's better to stay in, others will say lift out for six months to dry out and avoid osmosis but I have read of tales of osmosis in boats under five years old. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DaveS

Visit site
Have to say I disagree with this. I get the boat lifted out each year, usually mid October and back in 1 April. Preparation for lift out takes 1 day: run engine under load to heat up fully (returning from last sail of season with luck; if not tied to pontoon), oil and filter change, sails off, boom off, running rigging off either completely or just tied off at mast (I know, I know!), mast electrics disconnected. Then a week or so later 1 day ashore: run engine on fresh water then antifreeze mix; stop engine as the last of the mix disappears up the pipe. Change fuel filters, clean lift pump filter, clean air filter and stuff a rag in it, bleed fuel system, top up tank, clean out anti-syphon valve, remove impellor, drain leg oil, refill. Connect yard power, hoist up dehumidifier and install over galley sink. Remove from boat everything perishable / valuable. Leave cushions propped up for air circulation. Erect wooden framework and tie on winter cover.

In spring, again 1 day to remove winter cover, framework and dehumidifier, remove and renew (if necessary) engine anode, replace or renew impellor, remove rag from air filter, check mast lights, renew prop anode if necessary, antifoul. Obviously any other jobs (and there generally are other jobs) can extend this. First day afloat connect up electrics, replace boom, replace running rigging, bend on sails. (Am I alone in really enjoying this bit as, one by one, the boat's systems come back to life?) I can't remember ever having to replace anything that "broke over winter".

The main argument for wintering a GRP boat ashore is that it lets the hull dry out which reduces the likelihood / slows the onset of osmosis. Of course if you have a high-spec layup or an epoxy treatment which you're completely happy with this might not apply. That then leaves the argument of balancing having the ability to get out and take advantage of the odd nice winter day against the possibility of an appalling winter storm that makes the boats pendulum into each other or even carries the pontoons away...

ksmith

Visit site
Thanks - its our first boat. We have had differing opinions to how long if at all it should come out. Our marina offer free days ashore(not free really as we have to pay for a lift and scrub) but we will most propably make use of it to antifoul etc.

tillip

Visit site
You say it lets the boat dry out, so is your GRP soggy? Whilst GRP is not impervious to water, three coats of epoxy resin is. The other side of the coin is the when the boat is out of the water the hull is exposed to a greater range of temparature variations than when left in the water continuously, this can cause the hull to flex, it will also expand and contract more than if it stays in the water. It must be true because I read it in boating magazine. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

" I have read of tales of osmosis in boats under five years old."

PCUK

Visit site
This isn't a subject for discussion. GRP needs to dry out to avoid osmosis. A mininum of six weeks should be the target.
If the bottom is epoxy coated ensure the bilges are kept dry otherwise there is nowhere for moisture to go when laid up ashore.

tillip

Visit site
Everthing is a subject for discussion otherwise there would not be a need for the forum. Where is your proof that GRP will get osmosis if it does not dry out. Have you ever done any GRP laminating?. Speaking from experience, I built a dinghy four years ago, sits on a lake all year round, no osmosis, I also made some flower planters from GRP full of soil & water for the last three years, no osmosis. A boat is just as likely to get osmosis due to water ingress from the inside of the hull as from the outside. The main cause is poor laying up at the time of construction. As I said earlier " I have read of tales of osmosis in boats under five years old." In Yachting Monthly.

SoulFireMage

richardgriffiths.azurewebsites.net
We're having ours out for a month maybe, not sure when but getting ourselves some really warm winter gear and using her on calm cold days :). Winterised previous boat, found it a right fart on and decided we won't do that again. A low power heater, anti freeze and regular use will take care of her I think. Helps that I live in jogging distance from her (even at my old man jogging speed).

pcatterall

Visit site
I thought that 'osmosis' would not really dry out unless the Gell coat was removed.
Being ashore for 4 months simply reduces the time the boat is in the water and therefore gives less time for water to penetrate the hull.
6 weeks in summer with the gell coat off may indeed start to allow the hull to dry out.
??? IMHO !!