Winter haul out options east coast

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
I’m currently on a swinging mooring, having left MDL Chatham earlier this year as a consequence of increasing berthing costs coupled with retirement and reduced income.

As winter approaches I’m starting to think about where I might be able to have the boat hauled out for two or three months, to allow the boat opportunity to dry a bit and carry out hull maintenance, anti fouling etc. It’s also likely I’ll need to pay attention to the rudder bearings, maybe not though.

Had an osmosis issue last year that I put right and I don’t want to go back down that path again any time soon, so the ‘recommendation’ is that really the boat needs to dry for two or three months annually if at all possible.

I don’t really need a full winter deal where I’m ashore for five or six months, I just need a short term haul out. To be fair we have found that this year we have had far more opportunity to go off sailing so the swinging mooring is working for us and we enjoy a winter sail now and again.

Any recommendations on the East Coast?

Plum

Visit site
I’m currently on a swinging mooring, having left MDL Chatham earlier this year as a consequence of increasing berthing costs coupled with retirement and reduced income.

As winter approaches I’m starting to think about where I might be able to have the boat hauled out for two or three months, to allow the boat opportunity to dry a bit and carry out hull maintenance, anti fouling etc. It’s also likely I’ll need to pay attention to the rudder bearings, maybe not though.

Had an osmosis issue last year that I put right and I don’t want to go back down that path again any time soon, so the ‘recommendation’ is that really the boat needs to dry for two or three months annually if at all possible.

I don’t really need a full winter deal where I’m ashore for five or six months, I just need a short term haul out. To be fair we have found that this year we have had far more opportunity to go off sailing so the swinging mooring is working for us and we enjoy a winter sail now and again.

What size/displacement of boat?

Daydream believer

Visit site
First question might be - where do you live. Because travel to a location is quite important.
I have friends that have laid up at Fambridge. It is a dump but they say cheap. On the other hand Bradwell is a good marina & probably has winter hard space. However, if you live 75 miles away & have to come through the QE bridge then travel becomes a chore.

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
Of course, apologies, I’m based on the Medway and live local. The boat 36 feet and about 7.5 t fuel/water etc.
Yes the M25 crossing - especially travelling North is awful, but I can gauge travel outside the busiest times. Forgot about North Fambridge.

Visit site
For anyone north of the Thames, I would certainly recommend North Fambridge. However, if I lived south of the river I would be keen to find somewhere more local that avoids both the hassle and cost of travel.

Daydream believer

Visit site
For anyone north of the Thames, I would certainly recommend North Fambridge. However, if I lived south of the river I would be keen to find somewhere more local that avoids both the hassle and cost of travel.
I have visited Brandy hole at Fambridge, to do some work on a friends boat a number of times. There is lots of space. There could be lots more. The place is full of scrap & rubbish. It clearly needs a major overhaul & tidy up. One spends most of one's time trying not to walk through mud & trip over discarded detritus. My friend says it has "character". I described it as a "dump". Needless to say, on the last visit, I managed to get a puncture. :( The final couple of miles miles involves a narrow road & one has to navigate with care due to the mad types coming the other way.
Apparently it is less pricey than most- & needs to be.

Plum

Visit site

Of course, apologies, I’m based on the Medway and live local. The boat 36 feet and about 7.5 t fuel/water etc.
Yes the M25 crossing - especially travelling North is awful, but I can gauge travel outside the busiest times. Forgot about North Fambridge.
If you want low cost and can live without wifi, a clubhouse/bar or 24hour staff then you could try Bridgemarsh Marina on the R Crouch. It's a bit rough and ready but is run by good people with a very flexible approach to length of contract and they are quite happy for you to do your own maintenance. There are security cameras and they are just about to fit a new security barrier. Home | Bridgemarsh Marina | Bridgemarsh Lane, Chelmsford CM3 6DQ about a 70minute drive from, say, Chatham. (I have no connection, just a happy customer)

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
Many thanks all, a number of suggestions there for me to ponder. Interested in the Ramsgate and am on a waiting list there, but it’s slow slow slow and no guarantee either. Coastal. Marina Ltd looks an option - thanks harvey38.
The Ramsgate locality would be a good option for me as it happens as I’m possibly moving down to Broadstairs, however, being a yacht with a draft of 1.53m I’m not sure the Stour has the depth, but I think I’ll go and have a look and speak with North Fambridge, Bridgemarsh Marina and Bradwell too, as we frequently sail the Crouch and Blackwater and indeed most of the east coast.
Thanks again.

MikeBz

Visit site
The Ramsgate locality would be a good option for me as it happens as I’m possibly moving down to Broadstairs, however, being a yacht with a draft of 1.53m I’m not sure the Stour has the depth

A friend of mine had his RM1270 (1.95m draft) on the hard standing at one of the yards up the Stour a few years ago, not sure which one but it wasn’t far short of Sandwich. We’ve been up to Sandwich a few times with the luxury of a lift keel but 1.53m wouldn’t be a problem with the right tide. The harbour master, Ian Broughton, is very helpful and I’m sure could advise (The River Stour – Sandwich Port and Haven | Cinque Port of Sandwich).

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
That’s magic, thanks. I’ll have a visit down there, get some idea of what’s available and have a chat with the harbour master about access etc.

justanothersailboat

Visit site
+1 for Mariners Farm here, just down from Gillingham, they're not all that expensive, right area for you, and are pretty helpful. Very DIY-friendly. Only snag is that getting in and out is a job for high spring tides - any other time there is an awful lot of mud between you and the Medway! - so you need to book your arrival date carefully. They used to have a lot of junk and derelict boats but have had a massive tidyup recently.

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
Yes, assisted a mate with getting his boat in there years ago and and ‘touched’ a couple of times feeling our way in. I have a wing keel going on, which is prone to ‘plough’ in a bit and sometimes hangs onto the mud, which could be problematic, when dealing with fine margins of depth at the top of a spring tide. I’ve discounted Mariners on that basis, but thanks.

justanothersailboat

Visit site
Fair enough. Though there are boats with longer keels and wing keels there so some people do manage. I just have bilge keels, but I had to get a tow up there when going in to change a failed engine, which was "entertaining and educational" in a rather strong wind. It's a shame the place doesn't have easier access.