Williams 325 question

Parabolica

Visit site
Hi all,
Having used my Williams 325 (2010 model), last year without issue and always flushing it as per guidelines after use, it as usual spent the winter sans battery in my tender garage (boat berthed in Mallorca), and when the battery was reconnected recently for this seasons usage, the engine spins but just wont fire. I had to come home so asked the local Williams agent to take a look and do the necessary.

Today i get the call to say he’s taken a look and there’s no compression so best scrap it completely and buy a new tender. Coincidently he has a few in stock !!!!

So my question to the learned amongst us, any ideas where to start as I’m suspicious now as to whether compression has even been checked. Assuming he has called it correctly though, could this just be a head gasket or are these older engines known for this problem ?

I have taken a peruse through the main “Williams tenders” thread but couldn't find what i was looking for hence this new thread.

Any advice gratefully received before i find myself £30k down !

jrudge

Visit site
There is a large Williams thread running ( I started it ). And this is best moved to that thread.

I have no idea if moderators combine threads here - most other forums do.

Williams Balear are expensive but not liars.

It is however an odd fault for a previously running engine fuel / spark / sensors being typical culprits.

Parts for the 750 are in some cases difficult to get hold of.

If you are suspicious of the outcome just get it back and do a compression test.

Parabolica

Visit site
There is a large Williams thread running ( I started it ). And this is best moved to that thread.

I have no idea if moderators combine threads here - most other forums do.

Williams Balear are expensive but not liars.

It is however an odd fault for a previously running engine fuel / spark / sensors being typical culprits.

Parts for the 750 are in some cases difficult to get hold of.

If you are suspicious of the outcome just get it back and do a compression test.
Thank you. I will do what i can myself when next out firstly, before taking this further as it doesn’t make sense. I’ll also check that it was the Islands’ Williams dealer who attended to view it and not an independent as this was organised by the co that look after my boat there.

Parabolica

Visit site
So to update. I was sent video of there being no compression in either of my Williams’ cylinders and told i should therefore scrap my tender, for which u would be charged €1500+IVA. This work was all undertaken by the main dealer on Mallorca.

So prior to my then travelling out there a week ago, I arranged with them to visit and view their two used 325’s to replace mine. I travelled out, went to see them and whilst one was like new and priced accordingly and so didn’t suit me for the little use i put it too, the other was the same age as mine (2010), but in terrible condition by comparison having spent it’s life uncovered and on the rear of a flybridge.

So we discussed options, even swapping the good engine from the tatty one into mine if i purchased it (mine is immaculate), but then rather than doing a deal there and then, i said i’d sleep on it.

The next day i decided to just have a go at starting my tender myself and after first checking all connections were good and that the HT leads were firmly in place, it started straight up !!!!

So, clearly there is compression there. Now whilst my tender is old (2010), and therefore has the less desirable Webber engine, it’s absolutely fine for what i require and was perfect all last year save for a slightly stiff steering operation suggesting i need to replace the cable. Talking to other owners at the marina it seems that the Williams dealer is now building a reputation on the island for, as two owners so succinctly put it, “ripping the absolute backside out of anyone and everyone they can”. So, owners beware, especially those on Mallorca.

jrudge

Visit site
The business was sold 2/3 years ago.

if the position is as you state I would contact Williams in the U.K.

Williams U.K. support in my experience has been amazing and they value reputation.

I would imagine Mallorca would be one of if not their largest dealer.

Compression could have been low due to a stuck valve but the odds of this on two cylinders I would have thought are low.

vas

Visit site
good outcome!

I understand these engines are packing amazing power at a shoebox size, but surely you don't scrap something before even attempting to check.
A stuck valve would be easy to check with a bit of undoing covers I guess...

at least now you know you don't go near these stealers again!

V.