Why

JumbleDuck

Visit site
We have been quite good - been to Screwfix once with click and collect, wife has been out very early on Saturday and Sunday for newspaper, milk etc. at local co-op, had deliveries from Waitrose 3 times so far - we are apparently on their 'approved ' list. Other deliveries from Amazon, Ebay or online retailers, oh, and our local handyman shop, only open 8 till 1 but can order most things.
We''re lucky here - the Co-Op has been well stocked since about a week in and never seems to have queues, and there is an excellent butcher in town. Well, three actually, and they are all open including the one I go to. As you say, thank goodness for mail order. I have made 31 purchases from eBay since lockdown began and about 40, not counting films, from Amazon.

Luckily I went to the boat on what turned out to be the last possible day and stripped her of food. Since we keep enough on board to keep two people going for three weeks to a month (the last week would be boring) it meant that we didn't have to do any buying at all in the first ten days or so and by the time we started shopping again the panic was over and shelves were reasonably full. Though I had to buy posh organic vanilla essence at £7.50 ... the horror, the horror. But who wants crème chantilly without the vanilla?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I'm not sure the extension actually changes much, there is still a relaxing of the strict lockdown in that people are now allowed out for walks within 1km of their homes, and cycling is now permitted (or soon will be, not certain on that one, with little restriction on distance).
In other words, the Sun seems to have made a story out of nothing. The state of emergency was always going to be extended, and will be again.

Stemar

Visit site
Lockdown was never about reducing the number of cases, it was about spreading them out so the health services weren't overwhelmed. The only thing that will reduce the number of cases is a permanent lockdown, which is unsustainable, or a vaccine, unlikely to be widely available before Christmas at the earliest.

tsekul

Visit site
I’m lead coxswain of an independent lifeboat. Whilst I’d love to be back on the water a shout brings its own issues. On a rib there is no chance of social distancing, so that brings an elevated risk to every one of the crew, the shore team and their families. Then everything has to be disinfected before the boat can be returned to service. I heard rumours some of the rnli boats are off service for 3 days after a shout to avoid recontamination.

You can be the best sailor in the world but things happen at sea. You might be dismasted (happened earlier during this crisis), run aground (happened several times) or even suffer a medical emergency, not unlikely given the average yacht owner being of advanced years.

All this for what? So you can go for a jolly? It’s not a game this, people are genuinely dying. 75 years ago our forebears were being bombed and suffering food rationing. Now people can’t even manage to stay home when they’re needed to, despite having home shopping, plentiful food and supplies, the internet, Netflix etc and no danger of being bombed.
I am a volunteer with the RNLI. Our crew has had 4 shouts since lockdown All have been walkers cut of by the tide or falling on rocks whilst walking their dogs. Although not wishing anyone to get into trouble it keeps the crew up to speed as we are not exercising at the moment.

we are not going to flick a switch in a month or two and all go back to normal ,this is going to be on going until we get a vaccine.

There has been a lot of debate about whether surfing is acceptable excercise with your argument being cited as a reason not to. But is it more risky than cycling ? or walking your dog. Common sense would say not. People don’t like it because primarily it looks to much fun, I think sailing falls into the same category (All these rich people can go sailing why cant we play football)

Having said that I haven’t been surfing or sailing ?

Bobc

Visit site
There has been a lot of debate about whether surfing is acceptable excercise with your argument being cited as a reason not to. But is it more risky than cycling ? or walking your dog. Common sense would say not. People don’t like it because primarily it looks to much fun, I think sailing falls into the same category (All these rich people can go sailing why cant we play football)

Having said that I haven’t been surfing or sailing ?

Maybe the answer should be not to allow team sports (football, rugby, etc.), but to allow non-team sports (such as tennis, golf, surfing, sailing, etc.) where individuals can partake without being in continuous close contact with others and maybe put a limit on the number of people playing these sports together (so maybe 3 or 4 people).