Why

FlyingGoose

Visit site
You guys have got that problem. Me me me. Shame.

The place I live is taking this nasty viral infection very seriously. The population has worked together to get infections way down. It seems to be working to the point where restrictions are being slowly relaxed. I went to my yacht yesterday as part of that. Good to start bringing her back to life. If things progress then maybe sailing next week or week after.

So for me, thats doing things properly and having Patience to deal with a crisis. Now thats a big difference to a lot of what I read on here.

However, thats up to you guys, as far as I see, if you want to rush things, you may well end up back where you started. Or worse. Your call.
Had these discussion many times , but the contrast are as black and white, you live in a small Island with a community spirit , very few infections, and a lock down from Spain, We live in a county with 65 Million people , wit ha high population density to the rest of the big EU countries, and the 5 th largest economy in the world , so the utopia of a lock down sunshine Island to the UK can not be compared at all .
We would all love to be in lockdown were you are are follow the rules , but it cannot happen like that here , especially with the Governments screw ups ,
59% of all deaths in Scotland are in Care homes, so 41 % are in the community , not that big a number and shows how this virus infects from the inside , and outside transmission is low. as the hospitals also take up some of that 41% as well . so good social distancing , mask wearing , will allow people out to work to feed their families

capnsensible

Visit site
Had these discussion many times , but the contrast are as black and white, you live in a small Island with a community spirit , very few infections, and a lock down from Spain, We live in a county with 65 Million people , wit ha high population density to the rest of the big EU countries, and the 5 th largest economy in the world , so the utopia of a lock down sunshine Island to the UK can not be compared at all .
We would all love to be in lockdown were you are are follow the rules , but it cannot happen like that here , especially with the Governments screw ups ,
59% of all deaths in Scotland are in Care homes, so 41 % are in the community , not that big a number and shows how this virus infects from the inside , and outside transmission is low. as the hospitals also take up some of that 41% as well . so good social distancing , mask wearing , will allow people out to work to feed their families
Goosey, I think you may then be missing that Im talking about the whole of Spain, population 47 million.....

Clearly people like to make excuses for the country they live in, but those of us in the previously hardest hit places are working through it and seeing, potentially, an ending. So it can be done. But it seems that what you have are a seriously vocal bunch of 'wont-be-tolds' who reject everything but self interest.

Its becoming clear, with time, what measures work and what doesnt. Its entirely up to you guys. But next week, I wont be getting all girly about being told what to do. I'll be out sailing on my yacht......

Dan Tribe

Visit site
Because every man and his dog wants to go sailing, golfing, angling, shopping and goodness knows what. We already have a significant proportion of antisocial types making up their own rules. The last example I saw was yesterday, a youth sitting on a bench at a busy corner. His form of exercise was to read a book while sitting in the sun. Multiply this by the population of the country and you have the second wave in the making.
An Essex youth, reading a book!. Must be fake news, surely.:)

capnsensible

Visit site
A good friend of ours is restricted in Essex (so to speak) right now. I took some pictures of his yacht here this morning (coz we now have restrictions being eased) so he can see she is safe and sound. I think he is kinda happy and sad at the same time.

Like the bloke whos wife tells him he has got a bigger willy than his brother.

dava

Visit site
You know there seems to be a lot of people on this forum ready to crucify anybody they see on the streets, I am a single dad with an 8 year old daughter, we live in Wallsend in a tiny flat, no garden/yard and the view from my living room window is a brick wall!! So every chance of a bit sunshine I choose to take a deck chair outside and read a book whilst my daughter rides her bike up and down the street, perfectly aware she needs to stay away from other people, if people think that's unreasonable I think they should look in the mirror and realise we aren't all lucky enough to have big houses with gardens, some of us have to play the hand we're dealt and make the best of it!!

[163233]

Visit site
...I choose to take a deck chair outside and read a book...
Bloody Norah!! Another book reader!

Actually, got to my boat (also Spain), and I must have tied the power cable up wrong, for t'was cleft in twain.
After 6 weeks the house battery was totally flat, and looking like it won't recover.

greeny

Visit site
A good friend of ours is restricted in Essex (so to speak) right now. I took some pictures of his yacht here this morning (coz we now have restrictions being eased) so he can see she is safe and sound. I think he is kinda happy and sad at the same time.

Like the bloke whos wife tells him he has got a bigger willy than his brother.
Better than being told you've got a smaller one.

dava

Visit site
Bloody Norah!! Another book reader!

Actually, got to my boat (also Spain), and I must have tied the power cable up wrong, for t'was cleft in twain.
After 6 weeks the house battery was totally flat, and looking like it won't recover.
If it makes me sound any more badass I tend to read rebellious biographies, just finished Johnny cash and Jim Morrison, now onto Oliver reed haha

alan_d

Visit site
The figures you quote are for one particular week, 27th April to 3rd May. Since the start of the pandemic 42.7% of COVID-19 deaths in Scotland have been in care homes, 49.5% in hospital and 7.7% at home. (See National Records of Scotland). I don't think these figures shed much light on the relative risk of infection in different settings, or on when or whether the lockdown might be eased.

mm42

Visit site
Trying to justify risk, as in requiring assistance. However I imagine most Rnli stations etc would love a 'shout' now! Also expect those that would sail now would present a lesser risk than an average early summer day

I’m lead coxswain of an independent lifeboat. Whilst I’d love to be back on the water a shout brings its own issues. On a rib there is no chance of social distancing, so that brings an elevated risk to every one of the crew, the shore team and their families. Then everything has to be disinfected before the boat can be returned to service. I heard rumours some of the rnli boats are off service for 3 days after a shout to avoid recontamination.

You can be the best sailor in the world but things happen at sea. You might be dismasted (happened earlier during this crisis), run aground (happened several times) or even suffer a medical emergency, not unlikely given the average yacht owner being of advanced years.

All this for what? So you can go for a jolly? It’s not a game this, people are genuinely dying. 75 years ago our forebears were being bombed and suffering food rationing. Now people can’t even manage to stay home when they’re needed to, despite having home shopping, plentiful food and supplies, the internet, Netflix etc and no danger of being bombed.

Last edited:

Genoa

Visit site
Welcome to Plod making up the rules as they go along,

Disagree.
Welcome to a government which gives guidelines and advice, but does not give legal framework, so "PLOD" has to look at each scenario. Should these decisions be in the mind of a 22 year old out on their own, on the spot with a situation in front of them, or based on clear RULES laid down by the great and the good of our government with cool heads in private with all the time in the world?

FlyingGoose

Visit site
The figures you quote are for one particular week, 27th April to 3rd May. Since the start of the pandemic 42.7% of COVID-19 deaths in Scotland have been in care homes, 49.5% in hospital and 7.7% at home. (See National Records of Scotland). I don't think these figures shed much light on the relative risk of infection in different settings, or on when or whether the lockdown might be eased.
So you do not think that 42% and rising in a care home setting isolated from the outside world is not a significant figure and that 9/10 people that have died were over 75, were some would have come from care homes to Hospital as their condition's worsened
I think you will find any statistician , will be able to see a significant trend in the infection spread and how it is transmitted ,

mbroom

Visit site
I agree with you, the system seems a little out of kilter. I'm not sure if you have one near you but I always buy these types of things from Screwfix or Toolstation, they have a very efficient click and collect system in place (and normally cheaper than B&Q).
I gave up on B&Q; Toolstation have been superb, order online and pick up 30 minutes later. Highly recommended.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
You know there seems to be a lot of people on this forum ready to crucify anybody they see on the streets,
The recurring theme of all these threads - and we are seeing it again here - is "People shouldn't follow their own interpretation of the guidelines. Instead they should be following my interpretation of the guidelines."

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Disagree.
Welcome to a government which gives guidelines and advice, but does not give legal framework, so "PLOD" has to look at each scenario. Should these decisions be in the mind of a 22 year old out on their own, on the spot with a situation in front of them, or based on clear RULES laid down by the great and the good of our government with cool heads in private with all the time in the world?

I think it is far better to educate people what the aims are and then let them work out for themselves how to meet those aims. Blanket rules rarely work, for anything.

Reactions: RJJ

jordanbasset

Visit site
Disagree.
Agree, not only that I suspect in the last 6 weeks there have been thousands of interactions between the Police and the Public over coronavirus. The huge majority of them would have been sorted out without any formal action by the Police and both sides would have gone away happy
On a few occasions a warning may not have been enough and a ticket would be issued. I suspect in even fewer cases the Police get it wrong, partly as you say due to the lack of clarity over the rules. It is these few cases than get the most publicity though, whether it is stopping kids playing in a front garden or the great easter egg case, it makes good headlines compared to 'Police officer had a chat and advised about the rules'.
Always has been the case and always will be, some one doing their job well for 99.9% of the time is not important, it is that 0.1% of the time they get it wrong that the media will get most mileage out of

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Agree, not only that I suspect in the last 6 weeks there have been thousands of interactions between the Police and the Public over coronavirus. The huge majority of them would have been sorted out without any formal action by the Police and both sides would have gone away happy
On a few occasions a warning may not have been enough and a ticket would be issued. I suspect in even fewer cases the Police get it wrong, partly as you say due to the lack of clarity over the rules. It is these few cases than get the most publicity though, whether it is stopping kids playing in a front garden or the great easter egg case, it makes good headlines compared to 'Police officer had a chat and advised about the rules'.
Always has been the case and always will be, some one doing their job well for 99.9% of the time is not important, it is that 0.1% of the time they get it wrong that the media will get most mileage out of
Completely disagree , you are only seeing that 0.1% of the police getting it wrong because at the time some one has the ability to film them or catch them out on camera, there will be hundreds of incidences were they use there power and bully and prod without the authority to do so, if the 0.1% are being caught , they were guided from above , these officers get briefings and then sent out with the instructions from their superiors,
They will also stick by their partner even if they get it wrong ,as the police close ranks on each other and are told to say nothing,

[163233]

Visit site
The recurring theme of all these threads - and we are seeing it again here - is "People shouldn't follow their own interpretation of the guidelines. Instead they should be following my interpretation of the guidelines."
Yes, there should be much more clarity and better communication, everywhere, not just the UK which does seem particularly bad.
I guess it stems from the Boris.. "Harumph blah blah whatever" way of talking.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
We have been quite good - been to Screwfix once with click and collect, wife has been out very early on Saturday and Sunday for newspaper, milk etc. at local co-op, had deliveries from Waitrose 3 times so far - we are apparently on their 'approved ' list. Other deliveries from Amazon, Ebay or online retailers, oh, and our local handyman shop, only open 8 till 1 but can order most things.