Why is my boat not selling in Spain

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I‘ve had my boat, based in Spain, advertised with all the major sites including eBay classified for nearly 2 months and not a murmur of interest. (1500 hits on eBay)
It‘s priced about right against others on the market.
Somehow a Med boat ready to go (EU tax paid) with a rental berth doesn’t get the juices flowing
It can’t be a Brexit 90 days in 180 thing because, I guess, most UK Med boaters don’t get near this.
If it’s a price thing why not make an offer, very odd.
I‘ve had a non exclusive broker to handle contracts/money transfer so that shouldn’t scare people off.
So I‘m bringing it back to the UK to sell (return goods no VAT problems)

I’m a little baffled, any ideas chaps?

It looks pretty good as well

IMG_5193.jpeg

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
Not sure that the 90 day rule should be dismissed so quickly, for UK boaters anyway
We sold our boat because of it, didn't make sense, especially as we also liked land based holidays in the EU. The timing was too restrictive for us
Can appreciate it won't an issue for everyone

Either way it wouldn't be the reason for EU citizens
Without seeing the advert and how the boat is presented its difficult to suggest a cause for it nit selling
Will say we had our boat on at what I thought was a very competitive price and had no interest
Dropped it by 10% and it sold in a week

DavidJ

Visit site
Not sure that the 90 day rule should be dismissed so quickly, for UK boaters anyway
We sold our boat because of it, didn't make sense, especially as we also liked land based holidays in the EU. The timing was too restrictive for us
Can appreciate it won't an issue for everyone

Either way it wouldn't be the reason for EU citizens
Without seeing the advert and how the boat is presented its difficult to suggest a cause for it nit selling
Will say we had our boat on at what I thought was a very competitive price and had no interest
Dropped it by 10% and it sold in a week
Dropping 10% and selling is interesting.
Are people shy to make an offer which they think is unreasonable, I wonder.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Dropping 10% and selling is interesting.
Are people shy to make an offer which they think is unreasonable, I wonder.
I'm not sure, it was already one of the cheapest on the market for its age and condition, plus it had lots of extras
It was a sailing yacht rather than motor boat, but dropping the price got immediate interest
All done through a broker so never spoke to the buyers

benjenbav

Visit site
I’m a Brit and vaguely looking at boats atm and my mental process when I see something attractive in EU goes like this:

Add 20% plus transport costs to bring it to UK.

Too much hassle to keep it in EU.

Separately, I don’t know how much traction Sealine as a brand has for non-UK nationals but maybe that’s also a factor?

DavidJ

Visit site
I'm not sure, it was already one of the cheapest on the market for its age and condition, plus it had lots of extras
It was a sailing yacht rather than motor boat, but dropping the price got immediate interest
All done through a broker so never spoke to the buyers
My plan is to use a broker in the UK and be more hands off

DavidJ

Visit site
I’m a Brit and vaguely looking at boats atm and my mental process when I see something attractive in EU goes like this:

Add 20% plus transport costs to bring it to UK.

Too much hassle to keep it in EU.

Separately, I don’t know how much traction Sealine as a brand has for non-UK nationals but maybe that’s also a factor?
Good point about the Sealine brand outside the UK. The boat sales sites rather depend on someone searching on a particular brand.

kashurst

Visit site
Before you stick the boat on a truck with all the added costs give John Ball a call at Boats and Barcos in Torrevieja
Yacht Sales Torrevieja Spain - Boats & Barcos

He sold my Rodman 38 in a week for a great price. I appreciate he is a long way from where you are but they sell boats all over Spain and in other countries too. He may be able to give you some insight into why your very nice Sealine isn't shifting. Loads of Sealine here in Spain with all sorts of nationalities owning them.

DavidJ

Visit site
Before you stick the boat on a truck with all the added costs give John Ball a call at Boats and Barcos in Torrevieja
Yacht Sales Torrevieja Spain - Boats & Barcos

He sold my Rodman 38 in a week for a great price. I appreciate he is a long way from where you are but they sell boats all over Spain and in other countries too. He may be able to give you some insight into why you very nice Sealine isn't shifting. Loads of Sealine here in Spain with all sorts of nationalities owning them.
Thanks I will
I tried talking to (e-mailing) the local brokers in Empuriabrava and they seemed to want me to sign contracts before agreeing commission %. One actually stopped communicating when I pushed him for commission details.
So thanks for your link to someone who sounds professional.

jrudge

Visit site
I have no idea what it is worth. To me does not seem cheap but I am not in that market.

Bear in mind the price of the other sea lines is one thing but your competition is the relative cost of other boats in the 37-40 foot category.

I am in mallorca. Fairline sell well here and are disproportionately represented in my marina - cala dor. There are not that many sealines

kashurst

Visit site
I just had a rummage on Yachtworld, theyachtmarket and topbarcos (boat sales portal popular in Spain) and your boat does not show up.
Sounds like your local broker isn't doing very much.

DavidJ

Visit site
I just had a rummage on Yachtworld, theyachtmarket and topbarcos (boat sales portal popular in Spain) and your boat does not show up.
Sounds like your local broker isn't doing very much.
Thanks for the rummage
I‘m very early in the ‘coming home’ process and in discussion with a UK broker so took it off the broker who did have a wide ad coverage. Perhaps a bit premature.
Thanks for looking
Cheers

DavidJ

Visit site
I have no idea what it is worth. To me does not seem cheap but I am not in that market.

Bear in mind the price of the other sea lines is one thing but your competition is the relative cost of other boats in the 37-40 foot category.

I am in mallorca. Fairline sell well here and are disproportionately represented in my marina - cala dor. There are not that many sealines
Agree
I’m in competition with Cranchi, Bavaria, and the local Rio

simonfraser

Visit site
figure out what the cost of getting it to the UK is and reduce the price by that, depends how quickly you want / need to sell

DavidJ

Visit site
figure out what the cost of getting it to the UK is and reduce the price by that, depends how quickly you want / need to sell
Good point
I‘m talking to a haulier at the moment and he has a return trip. There is some Peters & May import legal stuff so £9k total will cover it.
My perception (now) is that it’s worth £9k more in the UK. Also I will have more control over the sales process.
I’ve just got to get the starting price right. It appears that you don’t have to exceed it by too much to totally put off potential buyers.

Freebee

Visit site
I think its a sign of the times, there's not a lot of money about here or in europe, bringing it back at this time might not be a good idea, its september soon the season is running out and you or the new owner(hopefully) will have to keep it through to next spring before being able to enjoy it fully, does it have heating?? if the aircon also heats maybe you should say that. I think sums are needed, costs to get it back and keep it here/opposed to costs to keep it where it is/ now factor all that against a selling price for a sale asap,, I am no expert but I would have thought prices would be dropping as the good weather runs out..

ebay allows a video, have you got a video tour or a nice wake picture showing how speedy it is??

DavidJ

Visit site
I think its a sign of the times, there's not a lot of money about here or in europe, bringing it back at this time might not be a good idea, its september soon the season is running out and you or the new owner(hopefully) will have to keep it through to next spring before being able to enjoy it fully, does it have heating?? if the aircon also heats maybe you should say that. I think sums are needed, costs to get it back and keep it here/opposed to costs to keep it where it is/ now factor all that against a selling price for a sale asap,, I am no expert but I would have thought prices would be dropping as the good weather runs out..

ebay allows a video, have you got a video tour or a nice wake picture showing how speedy it is??
Thanks
I woke up this morning fretting about the boat in an English winter, something I’ve not had to think about. My berth rental runs out this month so not a bad time to move from that point but it’s only one factor
Good point about heating and yes it heats as well as cools
Thanks for your input. Food for thought

westernman

www.devalk.nl

In general the market in France and Spain for boats, cars, houses and camper vans is extremely price sensitive. People do their research and will know how much they think the boat is worth. If your starting price is over that it will not sell. You will not even get any inquiries.

Next door to me, the house which is up for sale for about 10% over market value. It has been up for sale for a couple of months now. In general on our private little island a house will sell within a week if the price is correct.

I suspect this might also be true for your boat.