Why is it assumed to be Unlucky to paint a boat Green ?

Sandyman

Visit site
Following on from the thread by Jobbie about anchor chain..........................why is it considered to be unlucky to paint a boat green ??

I have heard this in the past but was assured it only applied to Fishermen ?? Thats what they told me up in Scotland anyway.

Any ideas Folks ?????

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Its bollox. Yeomans (Aisher family yachts) were always green and were very successful, including being Captains of winning Admiral's Cup teams. Green Dragon (Brian Saffery-Cooper) was another top ocean racer. I reckon a large portion of Cornish (Crabber, etc) and Drascombe dayboat output has been green.

DownWest

Visit site
Thought it was supposed to be about cars (road, not genoa)
Guy bent my ear about crashing a green car etc etc. never buy another one etc. etc. Turned out it was due to faulty tyres being fitted.
I think green boats look nice.
A

srm

Visit site
When first in Shetland I came across that superstition, and can not remember a green hulled boat in the islands, then sailed around Orkney and found that lots of the traditional yoals were green. I sailed such a one for a few seasons without mishap, despite having a crew of 13 year olds, so am not too worried that my new boat has a rather nice dark green hull.

Didn't Tom Cunliffe write an article for YM a while back with a theme around making our own luck through preparation and awareness - or the lack there of.

gary3029

Visit site
only problem I found when I painted some wooden parts green was the colour got very warm with the sun and the wood cracked.....so that was unlucky. Changed to boring white and no more sun problems

Flossdog

Visit site
Well, it was unlucky for me! In the late sixties I raced a 505 at Stokes Bay and one year I painted the hull green (previously it was blue). First time out had a rigging failure, the mast jumped off the step and went through the hull. Managed to fend off the GAFIRS (didn't want to be a life saved in their stats) so that our own club safety boat could rescue us.

PaulJS

Visit site
A relief to see that it's not true.
I've painted my first (and only) dinghy's topsides green, but I must say it looks a lot better with it's cream hull, wooden mast, and very off white sails than it did in pale and dark blue when I bought it off ebay!
I've still only been out twice though!

TamarMike

Visit site
Because green is a colour of the land, you also shouldn't mention burrowing animals such as rabbits. A rabbit's foot would definately be unlucky - that's in Cornwall, I think green is safe east of the Tamar.

oldharry

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Because green is a colour of the land, you also shouldn't mention burrowing animals such as rabbits. A rabbit's foot would definately be unlucky - that's in Cornwall,

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just Cornwall. Never try buying a Duracell battery on Brittany Ferries! Why Duracell? because they have the toy rabbit logo, and the Breton crew refused to sail until all Duracells and their packaging were removed from the shop on cross channel ferry Bretagne!

Apparently the crew will not load cars with furry rabbit mascots, either.

At least their ships are not painted green.

ff_nick

Visit site
Dunno, but the superstition persists. Last year a fellow club member was desparately seeking some tape to wrap up the cotter pins on his shrouds 30 min before a race, but got quite offended when I offered him GREEN tape. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Now, I don't now about you, but I have green on the starboard shrouds (& spreader ends), red to port. Only wish I could report that the pins fell out and he lost the mast. Alas. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

TamarMike

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Dunno but its VERY UNLUCKY to take a pasty on a boat - be warned!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm doomed then...........

and I don't suppose the green wellies help!
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

bazobeleza

faro, portugal, & Liverpool for my sins, this year
Visit site
my mate had a norton, stripped it down, rebuilt it and during the rebuild repainted it bright green.....much sucking of teeth ensued. Anyway he took it out and on the first fast bend he lost it, broken leg, trashed bike.

My mate was a stubborn git and he rebuilt the bike, complete with new green paint job, he was also tight fisted and wanted to use up the paint he had.

The bike, I admit looked good. he wheeled it out, started it up and let it run. We watched as for no apparent reason the machine burst ino flames.

As I said, my mate was a stubborn git, we put the fire out and wheeled the machine back inside. He rebuilt it again and..........painted it blue.

Am I superstitious? no, but would I have a green boat? no way