Who should be blamed in this collision???

doug748

Visit site
As I understand it, it is the custom to blame schools, wider society, a deprived background and (very big just now) greedy bankers.

Self will is unfashionable, we are not allowed to be reckless, stupid or egotistical. However those three things get my vote. I just have to figure out if it was the Master of the ship or the Skipper of the yacht?

Oscarpop

Visit site
Watched this a couple of times last week.
I don't really believe this needs any form of discussion.It just highlights what a total c*ck the skipper of the yacht is.
He is lucky he didnt lose his life or the life of his crew. If there were any law where he could be charged for being a c*ck, I would like to see him charged. It is so typical of the arrogance of racers to do something like this.

Rant over. I feel better.oh, and of course it's the yachts fault. Please don't spout " motor gives way to sail" its bleedin' obvious who needed to take avoiding action.

--ice--

Visit site
Motor gives way to sail unless the motor is restricted by its draught - however and to reinforce Oscarpop, under no circumstances should you endanger the lives of yourself, your crew or any one else regardless of your "being in the right" or not!!!
"No vessel ever has absolute 'right of way' over other vessels. Rather, there can be a 'give way' (burdened) vessel and a 'stand on' (privileged) vessel, or there may be two give way vessels with no stand on vessel. A stand on vessel does not have an absolute right of way over any give way vessel. For if there is a risk of collision, a stand on vessel can still be obliged under Rule 2 to give way so as to avoid a collision, if doing so will be effective and is practicable."

prv

Visit site
Can't see the video but I always thought both boats had to be at fault to cause a collision unless under very wierd circumstances.

Being in the Southampton Precautionary Area is one such circumstance. 100% yacht's fault, can't see how anyone could conclude any different.

Why has yet another thread on this popped up?

Pete

rogersimms

Visit site
SH*** happens

Any one who has sailed for a few years cant say they have never made a realy bad mistake, Some get away with it some dont, i have heard lots of people slating this guy. His bad luck was it happened in front of cameras, He just made a very bad call that has cost him dearly and he probably knows it. He doesnt need to be told how stupid it was.

Let the inocent writers throw all the stones. I know I cant

ARO

Visit site
Isn't there are local rule in this area to give a berth of at least 1000 Meters to large vessels?

flaming

Visit site
It's very obvious who's fault it was.

However so many here seem to have jumped to the conclusion that it was wreckless chancing that put him there, rather than a misjudgement of the tanker's intentions or speed, the wind or anything else that might have put him there. Many assume that he saw the tanker and went "This will be tight, but I might win if I chance it." Rather than "I am well clear of that tanker and it will turn before I get to it / is anchored / is only going 4 knots."

One is wreckless and should be condemned, the other is a misjudgement and should be Learned from.

In the complete absence of any evidence as to the thought process etc of the skipper, I prefer to offer the skipper the benefit of the doubt and call it a huge mistake rather than "wreckless yachting".

VicS

Visit site
Isn't there are local rule in this area to give a berth of at least 1000 Meters to large vessels?
yes within the "area of concern" the moving exclusion zone extends to 1000m in front and 100m to either side of vessels in excess (IIRC) of 150 m long.

The tanker is within the area of concern and its considerably more than the qualifying length

Topcat47

Visit site
The tanker was both constrained by its draft to the deep water channel, and restricted in its ability to manouvre by the tug tied to the stern. IAW local regs, there was a 1000m exclusion zone around it's bows and a 500m exclusion zone along either side. Arguably fault should be shared by the stupid s0d in charge of the racing yacht and the skipper of the port authority boat accompanying the tanker, however, during Cowes week, a fleet of guard boats wouldn't be enough to police the exclusion zones.

I have watched the video and IMO the racing boat skipper was unbelievably reckless, needlessly endangered his crew and ought to be prosecuted by the Port Authorities. I really have no sympathy for the BBC comment about why the tanker was there.

maxi77

Visit site
Any one who has sailed for a few years cant say they have never made a realy bad mistake, Some get away with it some dont, i have heard lots of people slating this guy. His bad luck was it happened in front of cameras, He just made a very bad call that has cost him dearly and he probably knows it. He doesnt need to be told how stupid it was.

Let the inocent writers throw all the stones. I know I cant

There are mistakes and lunacy, that was lunacy, and the skipper is a very very lucky man not to be facing charges of manslaughter which he would have if some one had died.

MaranaF

Visit site
Isn't the problem here the fact that he was racing?

In all my experience of racers they have consistently demonstrated an almost suicidal desire to win. There is no excuse, a cruising sailor would never have put himself in that position. A racer will do it every time.

Bad judgement is not an excuse, if he can't make the right call in a situation like that he should not be skippering a racing yacht.

A tack to dip round the stern would have lost him the race but would not have ended up here being discussed.