who had

BarryH

Visit site
Grew up with boats so sort of learnt it like riding a bike. Didn't take quals 'til later in life. Seemed a good idea at the time.

ians

Visit site
No But I wish I had !!!

First go was river trail on first boat we were buying, 200 hundred yards up the river, turn round go back and then I got the keys and it was mine.

Luckly took to it stright away, got on the river , nice wide bit and played with the levers and throttles to see what it did if I did that.

I believe there should be some basic training you should do, or even have to do before you are allowed out. if only for safety in mind.

Ian

1peejay2

Visit site
You don't drive a car, m/cycle what have without training. When you see what some mobo owners do I feel there should be some sort of compulsary training scheme but worry about Big Brother getting yet another finger in our pies.

BarryH

Visit site
"I believe there should be some basic training you should do, or even have to do before you are allowed out. if only for safety in mind."

......slippery slope to compulsory training/licensing. Better would be to put ownus on dealers to offer basic training, which a lot do. That takes care of the new/broker boat sales but leaves a big gap for private sales.

Solitaire

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You don't drive a car, m/cycle what have without training. When you see what some mobo owners do I feel there should be some sort of compulsary training scheme but worry about Big Brother getting yet another finger in our pies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was chatting with my daughter's driving instructor the other day and he said how he envied my job - not because I was on the water teaching, but because all his pupils are there because they have to be, whereas mine are there because they want to be! Lot to be said for that!!

BrendanS

Visit site
I didn't do any training for quite a while. But then I already knew navigation and safety assesment from flying/hill walking/mmountain rescue so the only major bits of learning were handling the boat.

When I did get around to training, I realised from talking to instructors/schools that I wouldn't get much out of normal lesson by that stage, so did one on one customised to suit me, and also cover level II and advanced at the same time, which was really good fun as he knew what he could expect and threw everything at me, and brought trainee instructors along on a few outings with my approval

Frontier

Visit site
I did it totally the wrong way around, Training done in 91, bought the boat in 2005. Gotta try and remember it all now.

Boy it takes a long time to save up for a boat !! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CLOUD9

Home in Bath, Boat in Cala d'Or, Mallorca
Visit site
Doing the five day classroom dayskipper thing in two weeks time. Grew up around motor boats so boat handling was instinctive and navigation self taught from text books and practical experience through teens and early twenties. 20 years on... have got through first season with my own boat ok but looking forward to some formal training to extend horizons a little further.

mirage

www.ttp.co.uk
Yes, I did a level 2 course a year before I bought our boat, altough I had quite a few hours experence driving ski boats on American lakes.

On the subject of training could someone explain the different 'schemes' ie Day Skipper -v- Power Boat Advanced etc.

Jonmendez

Www.jonmendez.co.uk
Differences?
Well Day Skipper is more aimed at the larger craft and someone who has done the theory course, It allows them to put it into practise what the course content was eg. course to steer, secondary ports and actually skippering the craft for short passages with other students acting as crew etc (depends where you do it!) and has an introduction to night hours. Powerboat Advanced is more aimed at the smaller open boats content is similar but often the students have actually done more boating usually, because they did their Level 2 a while ago and have been boating and improving their basic skills. Now they want to go further and at night. When well run with a good night exercise it really shows how if you are well prepared with a good plan and using a good relationship between chart and GPS you can keep up a reasonable speed and know where you are at any time – not just on the water but in relation to any hazards around. Students who attend usually are weaker on the chartwork side of things but often have more real life boating under their belt

byron

RIP
Visit site
Born into it, had my 1st boat at aged six - one of the lifeboats off my dad's ship. Spent my formative years on the Bridge and could lay a 3,000 ton tramp steamer alongside at the age of 12. Learing to ride a bike was harder for me.

studgies

www.marvinmarine.co.uk
have played on boats for years but when we got our second boat after moving to the coast and started to want to go new places we decided to do Day Skipper on our own boat, best decision we made in years, great confidence boost. Would always recommend doing the practical courses on your own boat if you can, you lern lots.

hardy

Visit site
We did Day Skipper, then had a local instructor take us out for a day, then lots of fender work and pontoon bashing in the marina, expensive but worth it.

David_J

Visit site
We started form zero experience, well except renting a tub on the broads or the Thames a few times. We did the day skipper night class for starters but only because we had agreed to go on a weeks hols in Greece the following year, sailing with friends. Of course not that you need day skipper shore based for that but we had an interest and from time to time did a night class of some sort so why not do one on boaty stuff.
We really enjoyed our weeks boating in Greece but realised raggy stuff was not for us at the time anyhow. Decided to buy a power jobbee and for the hell of it did the coastal skipper/yachtmaster shore based at night class.
When we got the boat the insurance company put a restriction on the use because we were considered complete beginers which I guess was not totally unreasonable. We arranged a day skipper practical on our own boat and actually booked an extra weekend before that for extra boathandling stuff. Those extra two days were great fun. Just mooring, slow speed handling, going astern, understanding the effect of wind and tide, doing all that on our single engine boat without having to rely on the bowthruster was really good.
Then for the week of day skipper we took our boat from Brighton to the Solent and based it in Gosport for most of the time. The run to the Solent was the biggest challenge. Not the usual short sharp chop but huge rolling waves. Trundle straight up the front and slide down the back roughly in the direction you want type of stuff. Would not have considered it without an instructor on board but excellent experience. Rounded off the week with a DSC course with some Julie person!!! at Sealine on the Saturday, huge session and celebration with friends just up the road on Saturday night then a bleary eyed run back from Moody's to Brighton on Sunday all on our own.

whisper

Visit site
Please Miss....Yes Miss....I did Miss....Can I have a gold star Miss ? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Day Skipper Theory - D.S.Practical - YM Theory - YM(Coastal) Practical. All done with a bunch of Raggies (for which I humbly appologise) - very enjoyable and the foundation of a group charter every year since.

HOWEVER - I've forgotten much of what we were taught - mainly the important bits I expect /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif