While out today!

[2068]

Visit site
My guess would be that the Targa helmsman was focussing on taking the wake of the Hardy, and ended up with tunnel vision.

benjenbav

Visit site
Great video, David. The difference when the helm was holding station too far off the Hardy's wake with the throttle static and when you explained how to move up and work the throttle was really marked.

Plus lots to learn: You predicted that trouble was coming from the right before it did etc...

Only thing was, I thought it was Jeremy Clarkson when I heard: "POWER, POWER"

Solitaire

Visit site
Hi, the Targa was the overtaking vessel. I was aware of it coming up our starboard side and then he just cut across in front. Very strange action. The skipper of the Hardy was aware of what we were doing and was actually playing along and waving,

The denand for power was to prempt the effects of the secondary wash and keep the bow skamming into the secondary wave.

Nick1150

Visit site
With all the respect, at least where I sail and live (Aegean sea, Greece) this is unacceptable behaviour.

This is not a typical cross where the boat on the right gains priority.

I can see a RIB following a Hardy, 50 meters from the stern. Could be for safety reasons, but I am sure it is obvious that this for training purposes. The T34 should pass behind the RIB and not between the Hardy and the RIB... This is not only according to the local rules, but also according to common sence.

Sorry for being the stricked member of the team :)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Hi, the Targa was the overtaking vessel. I was aware of it coming up our starboard side and then he just cut across in front. Very strange action. The skipper of the Hardy was aware of what we were doing and was actually playing along and waving,
Seems to me like the Targa helmsman didn't actually see the RIB when he was overtaking and then started to veer to port. He might well have been fixated on the Hardy and avoiding him and simply didn't notice the RIB close behind. I can't imagine that anybody would do that knowing the RIB was there

[2068]

Visit site
Re: While out today!a

If you watch the distance between the RIB and the Hardy, it increases dramatically just before the Targa cuts across to Port.
So it's possible that "Plan A" was for the Targa to go behind both boats, although not leaving much space.
Then the RIB slows which puts it's course in between them.
Either way, more space would have helped avoid a close quarters situation.

Last edited:

Solitaire

Visit site
Re: While out today!a

If you watch the distance between the RIB and the Hardy, it increases dramatically just before the Targa cuts across to Port.
So it's possible that "Plan A" was for the Targa to go behind both boats, although not leaving much space.
Then the RIB slows which puts it's course in between them.
Either way, more space would have helped avoid a close quarters situation.

Listen to my commentry! I was very much aware of the Targa's approach, and the fact that it was cutting accross in front from an overtaking position. There was never any danger and we had plenty of time to turn to starboard! Just s little smasrd at the Targa's actions frankly. The wash being given on from the Hardy at the Targa's angle of approach was "interesting"!