While I am in a reactionary frame of mind

tillergirl

Visit site
It was bad enough to have to gaze upon the awfulness of the Moody something DS earlier this year but now to have to look at the Nautiner 30 as well (see ST page 4) is too much for a man with taste to endure.

Enough is enough. Ye Gods and Little Fishes is there no end to the ugly abominations that reasonable people have to endure. It's all right for the owners; they can't see them. Oh someone will be along and say its me but it isn't you know. It's ugly. I've put the following words from the report through Babel Fish (Scribble into English) translation:

"a different class of boat is emerging that breaks with this (if it looks right, it probably is) tradition" = "brace yourself, this is going to shock you"

"Okay, so her topsides look pretty slabby" = "It's pretty ugly"

""It's can't be all bad can it?" = "It's very bad"

"This slightly truncated looking boat could be mistaken ....." = "This really really ugly boat could be mistaken for a concrete dolphin"

"A chemical toilet is standard, but for £1,155 more they'll fit a (small) sea toilet" = "The builders have a sense of humour; if you buy this boat modelled on a toilet, they'll rip you off by fitting another one inside"

PS Note to Forum Members - I will fit a sea toilet in a boat for £750!

"Navigation station - one might think at first glance that this is just a token effort" = "the navigation station is just a token effort"

"Heads - Just poking my nose in during a test it looks fine, but I know in my heart that I'd have to be pretty desperate to attempt a shower in these heads" = Babel Fish error - this appears to have been written in English and not Scribble. No translation possible

"I doubt I would survive without multiple bruising and a sense of humour failure" = "I've seen the last person to use the heads and he is now as ugly as the boat"

"Considering there five of us on baord, the Natiner was surprisingly stiff" = "Perhaps she is a concrete dolphin after all"

"She spins on a sixpence - your only worry will be not losing the crew" = "Anybody you can get to come on this boat will problem have terminal good taste failure. Expect them to be clumsy"

Aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
You can't say [--word removed--] like this - even though you're right.

You're standing in the way of progress, you have lost touch with latest developments in manufacture/customer taste, etc...

Next year Winnabago will do yachts.

What was a beautiful & sensible design 25 years ago is still beautiful and still makes sense today. I wonder what people will say of todays designs in 25 years time?

BTW: the most beautiful hull I've seen - ever - was that of a Viking longship in a Norwegian museum. A 1200 year old design.

oldestgit

Visit site
Now Hold on there....................

("This slightly truncated looking boat could be mistaken ....." = "This really really ugly boat could be mistaken for a concrete dolphin").

That is simply untrue and grossly unfair to concrete Dolphins...

The rest..... Yep I agree....

tillergirl

Visit site
"You're standing in the way of progress, you have lost touch with latest developments in manufacture/customer taste, etc..."

Yeap. You're right!

"What was a beautiful & sensible design 25 years ago is still beautiful and still makes sense today. I wonder what people will say of todays designs in 25 years time?"

Yeap. And a dog 25 years ago is still a dog today.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
I think the rise in ugly boats has come in line with the increase in marina berths.

As you walk away from a boat in a marina you cannot see it as it is behind you. In the 'olden days' (I couldn't possibly say when Tillergirl was a lad as I haven't met him and it would be a nasty cheap joke even though I haven't forgotten him mentioning all his trips to sunny places /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) one had to row away from the boat and at the same time enjoy the aaaah factor which many of us on the East Coast still do.

You wouldn't want to leave an ugly boat on a mooring unless you could row like Sir Steve Redgrave!

FullCircle

Visit site
Nonsense. There have always been ugly boats.
Some of the first plastic pigs in the 60s were awful. The only reason they survive is that no one stopped to realise that a GRP hull has a nuclear half life of 3 million years, whereas a wooden horror would rot into the mud unloved in just a couple of decades, and could be recycled into Guy Fawkes supporting material.

FloatingPig.jpg

MoodySabre

Visit site
Of course this is nothing to do with not wishing to upset potential advertisers is it [\cynic]

In the same issue the Magellan handheld plotter is described as being 'an interesting shade of light brown' - did that mean there was a tendency to pick it up with a plastic bag. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cantata

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Of course this is nothing to do with not wishing to upset potential advertisers is it [\cynic].................

[/ QUOTE ]
I would hope not - ST (at least the stuff I get involved with) does proper reviews and tells it like it is (short of libel I suppose).
However I had exactly the same opinion as TG about THAT boat - even as the owner of an AWB my immediate reaction to this one was totally yuk.

Habebty

Visit site
Looks aren't everything, but I will agree this one is a bit of a minger.
I have to be careful though, as despite my boat (Sadler 290)not having what could be described as classical and elegant lines (it does look pretty cool from some angles though) it is certainly a well above average white blob with superb performance and good sea keeping abilities.
When I bought it after a test sail, any doubts about the unconventional looks were quickly dispelled by the huge grin it puts on my face.
I read the article about the Nautiner and thought good for them for trying to break the mould (there's a joke there somewhere /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gifsorry)
As long as it's safe and sails well enough to justify the looks then it will appeal to someone. After all, any trip up and down the moorings on the Orwell will reveal some hideous creations from the 60's and 70's but they will be loved by someone!!

I can remember thinking the Ford Sierra was a godawful looking car when that came out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tillergirl

Visit site
We won't talk about 'when I was a lad'. Flipper - did you mean here

119-1987_IMG.jpg

The other side of my room was this. What is it for?

119-1977_IMG.jpg

On the balcony was this. What is it?

119-1934_IMG.jpg

You see being slow and 'non-weatherly' (scribble for 'doesn't she make a bit of leeway'), I have to suffer all of you coming past me and getting a long look. And since I don't have a chart plotter to look at, I do tend to look at things going past. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I hope, in the spirit of this forum I have not offended anyone? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oldestgit

Visit site
(The other side of my room was this. What is it for?)

The second most pleasurable exercise in life, excluding sex of course.... Golf.

As for the little critter on the railing sadly many of his ilk wind up on the barby in lands afar.