Which smart charger?

tim_ber

Visit site
Not for a boat, but I know you guys know your 12Volts.

This is a present for a friend with a 1969 3Litre V8 engine. He says it has none of the modern electrical gizzmo stuff that modern cars have.

He wants a smart charger so he can just fit it and forget it. I showed him a few. One said it gave out 2A to 8A and he said, but the battery is not likely to req'r 2A, but just a trickle charge and I replied that I thought the charger would be smart enough to turn off - but I know little.

One charger stated it was rated for 3000cc engines and I said what the heck they telling you that for, you need cranking power etc, not engine size.

Anyway, you get the picture.

3Litre V8 1969 engine - car not often used - a smart charger required that can be fitted and forgotten about.

I figure if anyone would know of a good unit it would be you guys. Money is not an object, but he would be embarassed if I spent a lot, so a unit that will do the job but not be overspec for his use would be great if anyone knows.

Thanks in advance.

SAMYL

Visit site
What about a solar panel? I use one for my old classic and it works a treat.
About 10 watt should do. Ebay have them for about £30.
Fit and forget and no mains to worry about. Smart chargers are not that smart and can wreck your battery if you are unlucky.

Billjratt

Visit site
Assume you mean some sort of maintenance device while the car is dormant
If so, get a "smart" charger that realises when the battery needs fed and will trickle when that's all that is required. Halfords used to do a wee Gunson that would probably suit. There are many similar, and since it would appear they have all the time in the world to charge the battery, a large charging capacity (amps) is not required.
Better not to be fitted and forgot though. Keep an eye on amps and acid levels.

VicS

Visit site
Lidl and Aldi each offer small smart chargers ( 3.8amps max, but reduce to a low maintenance charge once the battery is charged) from time to time.

Ring offer a range of smart chargers at reasonable prices. The range includes a 2amp/maintenance charger. Halfords sell some of the Ring chargers but I'm not sure if they sell the small ones.

Also look at the Ctek range. Their range includes a 0.8 amp maintenance charger. This may be the most suitable option.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Also look at the Ctek range. Their range includes a 0.8 amp maintenance charger. This may be the most suitable option.

Have one of these for the bowthruster/windlass battery and is perfect for fit and forget maintenance charging, CTEK is quality gear.

tim_ber

Visit site
Thank you.

I like the solar panel idea. it would be good, but the car is in a garage with a dust cover over it and only goes out on dry days !

It is only worth about £20k, but is a classic apparently.

The V8 does make a great noise.

SAMYL

Visit site
Thank you.

I like the solar panel idea. it would be good, but the car is in a garage with a dust cover over it and only goes out on dry days !

It is only worth about £20k, but is a classic apparently.

The V8 does make a great noise.

Put the solar panel outside or just up against the window. It needs light, not necessarily direct sunlight.

Skylark

Visit site
Suggest you try a motorcycle shop. They should do 3- or 4-stage trickle chargers. For reasons that escape me bikes often get laid up for the winter.

For reasons that make perfect sense to me, :D, my bike is laid up for the winter. The first weekend of a new month I charge the battery for a day using an Oxford Opitimiser. Google shows best price at £33 on ebay.

This can be left on all of the time but I'm happy to use it in my own way.

eagleswing

Visit site
temperature-compensated 3 stage chargers..

if one has an AGM battery to be charged, it's important to get a temperature-compensated 3 stage charger. some AGM warranties won't be honored if the charger isn't temperature-compensated.

eagleswing

charles_reed

Visit site
Not for a boat, but I know you guys know your 12Volts.

This is a present for a friend with a 1969 3Litre V8 engine. He says it has none of the modern electrical gizzmo stuff that modern cars have.

He wants a smart charger so he can just fit it and forget it. I showed him a few. One said it gave out 2A to 8A and he said, but the battery is not likely to req'r 2A, but just a trickle charge and I replied that I thought the charger would be smart enough to turn off - but I know little.

One charger stated it was rated for 3000cc engines and I said what the heck they telling you that for, you need cranking power etc, not engine size.

Anyway, you get the picture.

3Litre V8 1969 engine - car not often used - a smart charger required that can be fitted and forgotten about.

I figure if anyone would know of a good unit it would be you guys. Money is not an object, but he would be embarassed if I spent a lot, so a unit that will do the job but not be overspec for his use would be great if anyone knows.

Thanks in advance.
Depends on whether or not he has 230v ac available:-

If he has one of these will do the job well
http://www.ctek-chargers.com/?gclid=CJCjtOPOjbQCFUbKtAodv00Arg

If no AC power available an alternative (which will never fully charge but will prevent flattening) would be one of the Maplins solar panels which plug into the cigar lighter socket MIGHT do the job if his socket is always connected - on most more modern cars you have to have the ignition on to energise the cigar socket - in which case it's s non-starter.

tim_ber

Visit site
Oh, only worth about 20K...... - I wouldn't bother about it then. Clearly a pile of junk :)

In know what you mean, but there are people on here that are mega rich and £20K to them is the fuel bill whilst the sports car costs over £150k.

Then there are others on here that live on their 12 foot boats and have great stories to tell etc.

A great place with a great load of info.

I would love a nice old classic car myself. These fancy new things are good for comfort for long distance and I do love speed, but I would still like a nice, character classic.