Which Nav lights do what?

VicS

Visit site
Any particular reason to have its own switch for the compass light?
There are some minor benefits, although I dont remember if any one of them was the reason I wired it the way i did .
Most usefull is that it can be used to illuminate the cockpit floor ( and the pee bucket ;))

In the end I just put seperate switches on all the lights and I then can choose the right combination for whatever I am doing.
My system is designed so that I cannot display an "illegal" combination. No steaming light on with the tricolour, no tricolour on with the side lights. I am still responsible for having the right lights on for the activity though.

If I did it again, or if I open it up for some reason, I think I would not put the negative through the main switch. I would then use the redundant side of the switch to connect the engine ( outboard) to the incoming positive from the battery.

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
Most usefull is that it can be used to illuminate the cockpit floor ( and the pee bucket ;))

:)

Fair enough. I don't think mine's bright enough for that, and anyway I tend to stand on the aft deck, leaning against the mizzen shrouds, and go directly overboard rather than into a bucket. No need for any light at all to do that - unless I start towing a dinghy :D

My original panel design included a switch for "instrument lights", as my log+depth has a separate 12v input for lighting and then there's the compass, so they could all come on neatly together. Then I realised that when it got dark I'd be turning on the nav lights anyway, so I might as well trigger the whole "night mode" off the same switch.

I am still responsible for having the right lights on for the activity though.

This is why I made the steaming light automatic - it used to be a real pain to have to lean into the cabin and find the right switch, at some random location on the panel, in the dark and upside down (the panel is below the hatch). On the new panel the light switches are deliberately the top two (cabin then nav) so they're easy to find by touch, but avoiding the separate action of switching the steaming light when "the system" *knows* I've just turned on the engine panel, seems like an obvious improvement.

Pete

Quidi Vidi

Visit site
I only have 5 switches on my panel so i'm pretty limited as to which configurations i can use, I will take a photo and repost when i'm ready to rewire that bit. My immediate dilemma is the lack of stern light and fitting for it, as i have a transom hung rudder i guess i will need to fit it to the pushpit rails. Would a permanent fit be best or a removable one? How would i fit the cable through the hull?

Pye_End

Visit site
I only have 5 switches on my panel so i'm pretty limited as to which configurations i can use, I will take a photo and repost when i'm ready to rewire that bit. My immediate dilemma is the lack of stern light and fitting for it, as i have a transom hung rudder i guess i will need to fit it to the pushpit rails. Would a permanent fit be best or a removable one? How would i fit the cable through the hull?

The best way might be to mount on the pushpit, and feed the cable through the pushpit tubing and into the hull at the base of it. The easier way would be to cable tie the cable onto the pushput, and then into the hull at a convenient point - preferably using a deck gland rather than through hull connector.

I cannot tell from your photos, but if you have a masthead all round white, then you can use this as well as your red and green as steaming lights, and then not need an additional stern light.

It is odd to see such a full set of boat lights only to find that they cannot be used correctly under power.

Quidi Vidi

Visit site
The best way might be to mount on the pushpit, and feed the cable through the pushpit tubing and into the hull at the base of it. The easier way would be to cable tie the cable onto the pushput, and then into the hull at a convenient point - preferably using a deck gland rather than through hull connector.

I cannot tell from your photos, but if you have a masthead all round white, then you can use this as well as your red and green as steaming lights, and then not need an additional stern light.

It is odd to see such a full set of boat lights only to find that they cannot be used correctly under power.

No i don't have an all round white fitted, just a tri-color. The boat had been stood in a yard for a few years before i bought her so possibly someone had been meaning to refit the lights but didn't get around to it. I am just trying to get all the bits together so next time i go down i can start rewiring. I've just had a look at stern lights on flea bay and they seem cheap enough however i didn't find any fixings to mount them on the pushpit rails, any suggestions?

Last edited:

Dipper

Visit site

Mine's mounted on a piece of varnished ply which is bolted to the vertical part of the pulpit using two U bolts. I've fed the cable through the tubing but attaching it to the outside is fine then through a deck gland.