Which is the best grease gun

Jim@sea

Visit site
Which is the best Grease Gun. I frequently need to do my trailer bearings. I am either not filling it right or the design of my grease gun can be bettered by another make.
The grease I am using is the right one for bearings which are submersed, the tin has a push down plastic ring with a hole in the centre which should allow the grease to flow up into the grease gun tube. But it stops because of trapped air in the tube. So I end up pumping grease for a few seconds, then it stops when air reaches it. There must be another way.
What do you use or do.

sarabande

Visit site
Sealey make decent grease guns with either 400g cartridge or tin filling. The cartridges are much easier and cleaner, but more expensive than a 5l tin. Buy one with a flexible hose.

Avoid the side lever ones like the plague, as they need two hands to operate them. Pistol grip are best.

To get the air out of the gun, there should be a little air release valve, or nut, at the top. It's a pain 'burping' the air, unless you are meticulous with filling it carefully, so I'd go for cartridges.

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?id=20&method=mViewProduct&productid=10539

AndieMac

Visit site
I have used a Tecalemit TEC 450 grease gun for a number of years now, at the time is was deemed the best available, and has provided faultless delivery of grease.

As part of an extensive vehicle based tool kit, it is firstly wrapped in an old towel and carried in an old 20kg potato/onion bag, as they always tend to leak a bit sitting in hot vehicles.

tinkicker0

Visit site
As a lippy, apprentice truck techie, the older guys always found one of these very effective at filling my undercrackers up with 20lbs of grease :(

product3.jpg

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I presume you do slack off the bleed screw before filling? This allows the air (well, most of it) to escape. If not that's probably the issue. If you do, try removing it completely & make sure it is clear.

Assassin

Visit site
I use a large unit we used many years ago in the mining industry, this sits on a 20KG keg of grease and is one we used for lubricating underground mining machines.
It has two stage pumping, normal low (ish) pressure for normal greasing, and an internal, smaller piston for high pressure pumping which activates if the low pressure is not high enough. It has a 45' flexible hose and a variety of ends for various fittings, and is probably as old as i am.

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
Leaving aside the "you shouldn't have bought that type" comments.

I have this style of grease gun

Pistol-Type-Grease-Gun-05003-A-.jpg

Whilst I can unscrew the barrel and put grease into it, it is very difficult to get it to pump anything but air. There are no instructions with it, any ideas on technique

omega2

Visit site
I can see the bleed screw from here! put the grease in with a spatula shove it as hard as you can, replace the lever top, let go the rod/spring, release the bleed screw until tha air stops and grease appears.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Which is the best Grease Gun. I frequently need to do my trailer bearings. I am either not filling it right or the design of my grease gun can be bettered by another make.
The grease I am using is the right one for bearings which are submersed, the tin has a push down plastic ring with a hole in the centre which should allow the grease to flow up into the grease gun tube. But it stops because of trapped air in the tube. So I end up pumping grease for a few seconds, then it stops when air reaches it. There must be another way.
What do you use or do.

With the common or garden grease guns it is quicker to fill it slowly and not get air in it in the first place as no bleed screws.

Get the piston to the top and then slowly move it down as you fill with airfree grease using a piece of wood or best silverware spoon depending what is at hand. once the cylinder is full then inserting a small rod will help remove remaining air. It is not as difficult as it sounds and I suspect from the plastic clamp in the tool box that my grease gun came with the boat in 1973. It is Tecalamit plunger typw with a two stage plunger. One filling lasts a few years:)